ad: CQMM-1

Baofeng DM-5R Unboxing [Video]

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by SV2RMK, Oct 20, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. SV2RMK

SV2RMK Ham Member QRZ Page

I got my hands on the much-awaited Baofeng DM-5Rhttps://*************************/e/ir?source=bk&t=hamradiorev07-20&bm-id=default&l=ktl&linkId=b20281b5965a07ca3f704b19088d78d0&_cb=1476994480336 DMR radio today. The radio is based on the highly popular UV-5Rhttps://*************************/e/ir?source=bk&t=hamradiorev07-20&bm-id=default&l=ktl&linkId=8dec4a21f2bdeb1df99705bb07b2b37c&_cb=1476993911975 model (and its variants). At $70 US, it seems like a bargain. A big advantage over other radios on the market, is that it is dual-band. A big disadvantage, however, is that it currently comes as Tier I, which can be upgraded to Tier II.

[​IMG]

Here is the video, enjoy:

HamRadioReviews on Instagram: @hamradioreviews
    Facebook: @hamradioreviews
    Twitter: @hamradioreviews

KE8FGF likes this.
  2. WB2BGI

WB2BGI Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a UV-5R that if you plug the programming cable into it, it makes it transmit. I have had one other person tell me they have the same problem. Anyone know why and what can be done?

SV2RMK likes this.
  3. W4FBI

W4FBI Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

What is meant by "Tier I" (or Tier II)?

SV2RMK likes this.
  4. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

SV2RMK likes this.
  5. W4FBI

W4FBI Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

allrightythen! thx

SV2RMK likes this.
  6. NC4DX

NC4DX Ham Member QRZ Page

They all do that, that's why the manual says to tune to an used frequency when programming

SV2RMK likes this.
  7. NC4DX

NC4DX Ham Member QRZ Page

Tier I can be thought of as DMR for FRS (not legal in US), SIMPLEX only. Tier II is higher power and repeater operation.

SV2RMK likes this.
  8. N9MIO

N9MIO Ham Member QRZ Page

Craig,
    when the UV-5R goes into transmit with the programming cable plugged in.... you didn't plug the plug in ALL THE WAY IN... I admit it is a tight fit but you need to push the connector in a little further.
    Have a Good One Rich N9MIO

SV2RMK likes this.
  9. W2RBA

W2RBA Ham Member QRZ Page

If your UV-5R or other Baofeng radio goes into transmit full-time when plugged into the programming cable, it may be because you have a Windows 6/7/8/10 computer which automatically downloads the "correct" Prolific driver for that cable. That driver won't work. You can try the site miklor.com for an older version of the driver but don't have the computer c0nnected to the internet when you install it. Other than that, you can buy a newer programming cable with an FTDI chipset (on Amazon.com or elsewhere) which should work. 73!

Joe, W2RBA

SV2RMK likes this.
  10. KB9MWR

KB9MWR Ham Member QRZ Page

Tier I uses FDMA and is meant for a FRS like service overseas. Tier II is TDMA (multiple time slots), higher power and repeater capable.

I have heard that the upgrade doesn't make the radio a true TDMA radio (duh, pretty hard to imagine the hardware would be capable of the quick TX/RX), it just makes it work in a software sense, filling in null packets on the second slot instead of actually turning of for 10 ms.

Needless to say, using a non true TDMA radio will kill using the second time slot of the repeater you are on.

SV2RMK and N9QFB like this.
  11. NP2GG

NP2GG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Read about this issue at miklor.com That website has a plethora of info on Baofeng products.

KM4NOW likes this.