ad: Radclub22-1

PACIFIC DXPEDITIONER (KC0W) IMPERILED BY THEFT

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by W1YW, Sep 28, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Dr. Cohen:

You and I have had our differences in the past. Despite that, I wanted you to know that your efforts on Tom's behalf are appreciated. Like Col, you did more than just talk about it, you took action.

At this point in time, let's all hope that Tom makes it back home safely, and then worry about the rest later.

W9JEF, N1EN, K2XT and 7 others like this.
  2. K1GHC

K1GHC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The island appears to be uninhabited, makes me wonder how something like this could happen...

3. AG7BF

AG7BF Ham Member QRZ Page

Truth.

KF4ZKU likes this.
  4. KB9LHT

KB9LHT Ham Member QRZ Page

So sorry for Tom's lost and I hope they catch that Bastard!......my only guess is probably it end up in the pawn shop for cash or could be one those ham thief.....it happens to my ham friend when a fellow ham(not to mention his name or call) stole his 6 element 20m mono band antenna trying to Pawn it for cash little bit he know the pawn shop owner was a friend of mine........whose the Dummy now?!

5. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

6. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Uninhabited except for the +100,000 population.

7. WC5P

WC5P Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

100,000 is the population of the entire country. Tarawa (Where KC0W is) has about 50,000.

8. AH7I

AH7I Ham Member QRZ Page

Been there. Would never expect this. Curious to hear the full story.

9. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes.

10. K6TER

K6TER Ham Member QRZ Page

I WOULD SEND 10.00 DOLLARS.....

11. WO4L

WO4L Ham Member QRZ Page

I would gladly donate $$ to help this great ham out..what a shame to have all your gear and personal items taken ..I know how distraught i would be.. so if some get this started perhaps the $$ could be sent to one of our fine Radio suppliers to hold until its all ready to be sent ,mailed,shipped to him for his use.. perhaps using RaspPI for a very small computer to log and communicate via emails etc// anyway maybe some one can pick this up and run with it.. WO4L Bob Hess

K4SAW likes this.
  12. KA1BSZ

KA1BSZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Did he have any kind of insurance on that radio stuff?

13. NN6EE

NN6EE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I find it HARD TO BELIEVE that there's 50,000 people living on TARAWA, as their MAIN ISLAND is "BEITIO" and you can walk across that island in a matter of MINUTES!!!

PS, If there's a site being created for financial RELIEF for the intrepid Mariner/Ham LET US ALL KNOW PLEASE!!! If any of you guys remember "VP2WW" (Bobby Weil) back in the 60's he was always losing his boats thru bad weather in the "Caribbean", but even in that case HAMS CAME THRU HELPING "HIM" OUT!!!

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
  14. WC5P

WC5P Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Yep, 50,000 as of 2010 Census, mostly on South Tarawa, which is only about 20 miles long or so, depending on how you measure it. Seriously overcrowded and heavily polluted. They have been trying for years to move population to Eastern Kiribati, but some of those islands like Fanning and Christmas do not have enough fresh water to support much of a population increase.

15. K9UR

K9UR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Should be an interesting if very unfortunate "rest of the story"...

Tom does not strike me as a rookie traveler so he was likely well aware of the risk. Most people who travel globally know to prepare with somel backup plans, means of accessing funds, and other preparations because things happen. . He is not the first traveler to have things stolen and won't be the last -- That's all part of the experience.

Main thing is that he is safe and unharmed. Gear can be replaced. Passports reissued plane tickets purchased and plans reset.