ad: AbAuRe-1

PACIFIC DXPEDITIONER (KC0W) IMPERILED BY THEFT

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by W1YW, Sep 28, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Just one more comment-- Tom has been self-funding this entire dxpedition, and has previously turned down offers of assistance before he even left the States, so kindly don't misinterpret anyone's generosity as being rebuffed. I don't. And he turned down two generous offers, twice.

That's just the way he wants to do it, and we need to respect that.

The focus for Tom, I presume, is getting back Stateside and sorting out his future plans.

We should standby to make sure that happens.

Chip W1YW

K4VWS, W9JEF, KB1GKN and 5 others like this.
  2. AC3DB

AC3DB Ham Member QRZ Page

Imperiled is too big of a word for me.

3. AC3DB

AC3DB Ham Member QRZ Page

Does that mean he got all his radios stolen on a dxpedition? I hope he's ok...

4. W7UDI

W7UDI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for the updates Chip.

Steve
    W7UDI

5. VE3KDO

VE3KDO Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm confused.
    If he is declining offers why is there a website to raise money for him?

https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/tom-callas

Maybe someone decided that it would be a nice thing to raise money for KC0W without his knowledge. As much as I would like to help I'm not doing so until I know for sure the money is going to help him or until he comes on here to let us know where to send the money to.

6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Col set up the crowdfunding site as a generous reaction to Tom's situation. He did not, at that time, have the opportunity to ask Tom about it.

I have passed along Tom's email to Col and we'll see if Tom wants to take it.

What Col did was exemplary, but let's find out what Tom wants to do.

If Tom needs the funds, then he will have many additional donors also.

Personally, I think Tom should take the funds and get his tootsies back stateside ASAP. Your opinion may differ.Tom's opinion may differ.

Chip W1YW

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
    K4VWS, K2XT and W5WN like this.
  7. WF7A

WF7A XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Good thinking because without a passport and at their mercy, antagonizing or disparaging them could make matters worse; they could keep him there 'til the 'C0W comes home.

K3SX, W5WN, KA4DPO and 1 other person like this.
  8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

EXACTLY.

Let's hang tight.

9. MM0NDX

MM0NDX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi all - for clarity, this is what I emailed Tom:

Chip, W1YW was good enough to pass on your email address after I requested it.

Basically, I'm Col MM0NDX of DX-World.net website and I firstly want to say how sorry I am to read of your desperate situation in T30. Actually, VERY many people have the same feeling as me, and when I started to read more and more comments of support, it became quite apparent that people wanted to donate cash to help you. At this point, I decided to create a "Crowdfunding" page whereby people could leave a certain amount which eventually can be sent to you.

The page can be found here: https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/tom-callas

...and there's also the sad story here: http://dx-world.net/helping-kc0w/

You should know that ham spirit is truly alive and well within the hobby because an amazing amount of cash was raised in 24 hours (£1900 GBP). This shows people really do care about your situation.

Now, I understand and fully respect you have not asked for one single donation, but since the money has been raised to help you out this sticky situation, would you like me to transfer an amount to you? People want you to have the funds...that's exactly why they took the time to donate.

Ultimately, you will have more pressing matters to attend to currently, and there is no rush to reply, but as intimated above the cash can be sent to you whenever.

With very best regards,

73 de Col MM0NDX
    DX-World.net

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
    K4VWS, MM0XXW, KB1GKN and 2 others like this.
  10. KG0MN

KG0MN Ham Member QRZ Page

Not to sound like a dink, but isn't there some type of insurance out there and DXer could buy to help recover the cost of stolen gear. Lloyds of London will cover just about anything and it is not as expensive as one thinks it would be.

11. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Many suggested it. (A way to get donations to Tom, that is)
    You did the heavy lifting and legwork and got it done.

You deserve a round of applause and a pat on the back and the other related accolades, sir. Thank you for your efforts.

KB1GKN and MM0NDX like this.
  12. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, there is such a thing as traveler's insurance. Although a given insurance carrier or broker may use a different term (since there is an insurance conglomerate known as Travelers)

Like any insurance, cost and coverage can vary.

I do not know if Tom carries said insurance coverage.

13. MM0NDX

MM0NDX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks. I just hope Tom takes it the way it's intended and is not offended. Sincerely, the crowdfunding idea was set up to try quickly help him.
    As mentioned above I've dropped him an email and now wait & see what can happen next. Funds are obviously available now.

73 de Col MM0NDX

14. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I can assure you that this kind of thing is not new. I traveled to a fair number of very third world countries in Africa and the Middle R=East in the late 1970's through the early 1980's and that kind of thing was more common than you can imagine. They would clean out someone's house or apartment taking anything and everything of any value including clothing and shoes. In 1978 my driver and I were robbed at gunpoint by a Nigerian army officer on the military road outside of Kaduna. I soon discovered that my driver Mukalah's oldest brother was chief of police in Kaduna State. Later that day they brought the officer in and made him return our money, they then took him into a courtyard and executed him. Our world is not greatly worse now than it has always been.

15. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Very true.