ad: portazero-1

PACIFIC DXPEDITIONER (KC0W) IMPERILED BY THEFT

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by W1YW, Sep 28, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. NY7Q

NY7Q Ham Member QRZ Page

It's such a small place..his stuff should show up and he can prosecute.

2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Boats....ocean....

Just look where all those Hardrock Cafe tee shirts end up....not to mention those fisherman pirates on 80 and 30 meters.

3. N6RGR

N6RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Sad news. Sounds like alcoholism and theft are rampant in that part of the world. I hope "Da Cow" manages to recover his equipment and personal effects!

Roger KK6IVD

4. KF0G

KF0G Ham Member QRZ Page

Total bummer losing everything. But not the worst thing that could have happened, by far ! I can donate and I am sure many others hams and radio businesses can help too. I do not do CW so I won't be getting a contact and am not worried about that. I would just like to see this turned around 180 degrees and let the man keep going. It won't be that hard to get things back in service. Consider the giant tsunami a bit over 10 years ago. This problem is easy to fix. Go COW ! 73

NK9Y likes this.
  5. K0DSL

K0DSL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Wow, this is truly sad to hear and I wish Tom all the best. I agree if many of us send in a few bucks it could be a big help to him. Maybe someone could set up a GoFundMe page for him and have the ARRL let everyone know about it. de K0DSL

6. KF5THB

KF5THB Ham Member QRZ Page

Is a GoFundMe type page appropriate? I don't know how but I've seen it or heard of it done.
    oops, obviously I didn't read the entire post and thread. Sorry for stepping on toes, but as they say great minds think alike.

7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

UPDATE FROM KC0W

Tom just emailed me (in response to my query). My impression is that he prefers to comment in detail at a later time...but here's the key points:

1) the events so discussed did occur;
    2)he has very limited internet access for the time being;
    3) He is able to travel and awaiting arrival of funds (I presume his own);
    4) He plans to leave T30 as soon as possible;
    5) He is grateful for offers but declining them at present;
    6) Ham radio is not his first priority(understandably) --at this given moment.

Tom is an **experienced** traveler and I am sure he will re-surface within a few days at a new location, IMO, likely to be stateside.

Tom has a story to tell, but may or may not wish to keep it private (and I don't know what it is). Yes, I am sure he did nothing wrong.

My recommendations--

1)Col's funding site is legit and highly honorable and commendable, but Tom may or may not take the funds...he certainly does NOT want people to think he asked for them;

2) Tom likes to use his QRZed bio page to get info across...that's the best place to monitor his travels and situation.

I am sure we all wish him safe travels and a speedy arrival at his next destination.

Chip W1YW

KW4EK, K4VWS, KB1GKN and 14 others like this.
  8. W4KJG

W4KJG Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you for that update. All of us have been very concerned for his safety and well being.

Please let us know publicy or privately if we might assist.

It has been over 40 years since I've been in what were then known as the Gilbert Islands. Tarawa was a quiet, extremely friendly, and very peaceful place at that time. The almost non-existant police force did not even have real guns.

Let's hope this all turns out positive for everyone.

Ken
    K8KJG

K4VWS, WA7PRC and W7UUU like this.
  9. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks Chip.

10. KC5TT

KC5TT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Is there a Go Fund me account? If so please provide a link and I will run it it through the clubs I am in. Funds, equipment, parts, what ever is needed. The Hobby must go on.

11. KP4UFO

KP4UFO Ham Member QRZ Page

insurance ??????

12. GM1FLQ

GM1FLQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Have to say, that nearly made me fall off my seat laughing. :D:D

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
  13. UR3QTN

UR3QTN Ham Member QRZ Page

14. K0NXM

K0NXM Ham Member QRZ Page

Unfortunately, in many places in the world, law enforcement could easily be the problem, or a part of it. In many other places, they are incapable of enforcing laws. We seldom give thought to how well we do in the US, to have our right to private property effectively guaranteed.

KM9R and KF4ZKU like this.
  15. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Note that Tom has not said anything negative about Kiribati, and until he is on US shores, IMO we should leave it at that:)

K4VWS likes this.