ad: MLSons-1

Bands open/closed?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G8LXI, Jul 9, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. K8EF

K8EF Ham Member QRZ Page

Propagation Beacons are your best indicator of the condition of any band at any given time. List Them in a log and track them, when you hear them document the signal report of the beacon station along with solar and geomagnetic activity at the Time of copy, dedicate a few memory channels on your rig for beacons of your favorite bands. after a few months of beacon spotting and logging you see patterns emerge that will allow you to predict when and where a opening is likely to be, for twelve and or Ten which are closely related the WWV in boulder Colorado operate a station at 25.mhz running 2.5 kw that is a great high band propagation beacon and encourage signal reports as this is a experimental broadcast send reception reports to <wwv@nist.gov>73

2. M3OZP

M3OZP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I am always tuning around. And this weekend has been phenomenal on 15/10m.
    I haven't had qso on 10m for quite some time, so it was a surprise to hear so many stations up there.

Probably the best weekend I have had this year on the HF.

3. K4KWH

K4KWH Ham Member QRZ Page

I had a nice QSO with "Fred" near Albany, NY yesterday evening on 10. The way things are now, we just have to "stick" our noses in the door once in awhile to see if sum'pin a-happ'nin'! :)

K5JEF and M3OZP like this.
  4. WR2E

WR2E XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Sporadic E isnt related to space weather so near impossible for any of the usual sources of propagation forecasting to predict, and thats what is responsible for the sudden openings at odd times.

It helps to know what type of propagation is occuring in order to have a full understanding.

Remember always: "1000 receivers make no noise"

Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
  5. WR2E

Revision:. Sporadic E isn't positively related to Solar cycle. Space weather does seem to play a part in that the ions may come from Sol... but there are several other factors involved.

KO4LZ likes this.
  6. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

...unless they're regens.

WR2E likes this.
  7. K5TRI

K5TRI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You did see the attachment, right? You do realize by now that Sarcasm is my middle name, right? Right? :)

Worked ZF2ET and ZW0HQ on 40m last night. Nice and loud up here. Bands were packed (don't know about phone).

8. G6BOP

G6BOP Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi all, like most hams I also check band conditions.Com to see what I can expect on a given day, usually I find they are correct sometimes with 59+ noise coming through on some of the bands, I usually listen around 20 meters and spin the dial actively looking for CQ calls, and answer those that can hear me, just recently propagation hasn't been too bad despite being told via the internet not to bother, so I suppose really its there as a guide as although there must be 100's of UK stations working on any given day (usually weekends) I seem to only be able to actually hear the continent and hardly any UK stations. 73's

9. KO4LZ

KO4LZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Based on how dead 6 meters has been during the last few "zero sunspot" weeks, I'm beginning to suspect that there's more relationship between 6m propagation and sunspots than most books on propagation (and I have read lots of them ...) would lead you to believe.

But then again .... :)

correlation.png

10. K5TRI

K5TRI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Don't listen for CQ calls, call CQ instead. Y'all need to wake up the ionosphere from it's slumber.

I just usually call CQ and at the same time check RBN to see where I'm spotted. Gets me all the time when nodes in VK land
    copy me loud enough, but nobody's there to answer.

G6BOP likes this.
  11. WR2E

Yep.

Some say there is a correlation between thunderstorms and Sporadic E.

One might in fact cause the other, but then, there might be something else causing both!

Sporadic E is not wrll understood at all.

12. K5BIZ

K5BIZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi K5BIZ here. I wrote bandconditions.com 3 years ago because there was simply no other 100% accurate propagation tool on the internet. It runs on it's own. I don't have anything to do with it other than sticking my nose into the closet to make sure Windows hasn't crash. It's a computer and like any computer system you should always take what it says with a grain of salt.

Propagation websites, beacon stations, WWV and tossed Chicken Bones will always be as good as the next roll of the dice which is what a CQ call really is. But you can't work them if you can't call them.

The only real way to know if your signal getting thru is to be there to receive it. So in addition to all the tools above - why not try http://websdr.org/ to get a remote control receiver and see how good your signal sounds at the other end?

Just another tool no one has mentioned so far.

WB9MCW/SK2024 and K5URU like this.
  13. G6BOP

I have listened all over the six meter band since January ( when I got my FT450D) but I have NEVER heard anyone on the frequency, either my radio is deaf of no one seems to be using it ?, what is the best frequency to listen on, is there any calling channel on 6 ?

14. G6BOP

That's not a bad idea, my local SDR is "hackgreen" the UK secret nuclear bunker, I have loaded hat onto the laptop and will watch for my "waterfall" !

15. KO4LZ

KO4LZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, I work mostly digital modes (JT65) on 6 meters, so there's really only one frequency to watch (50.276 MHz). :) The band seems to have some sporadic openings today -- worked a couple of eastern VEs and someone in ME from NC.

There was a huge band opening (for me, anyway) about a month ago -- worked a few people in CA from NC (!!!) on 6 meters, but since then it's been kinda dead for me in "4 land".

But I know what you mean -- there are some days when six meters is so completely lifeless that I check my connectors and resweep the antenna :)