ad: M2Ant-1

Dayton Hamvention 2016

Discussion in 'Hamfest Reports & Videos' started by KD8LRW, May 24, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KD8LRW

KD8LRW Ham Member QRZ Page

Had a great time at Hamvention over last weekend, this was my 6th in a row. I managed to pick up a very nice Kenwood HF and a Kenwood TM-G707 Mobile in beautiful condition, I also got to build a Raspberry Pi which will be my primary Computer in my shack. I also took the General Test but did not pass but I am working on it and going to take it again soon. Looking forward to building my antenna getting that licence and getting on the air.
    73 KD8LRW

2. KD8FCB

KD8FCB Ham Member QRZ Page

This was my latest visit to Dayton after a hiatus of 3 years. Hara Arena is the vilest place on God's green earth, surpassed only by the flea market in the crumbling, puddled and muddy parking lot. I pity that we hams have to put up with these conditions and surprised we tolerate it.

W5WN and KB1HQS like this.
  3. W8AAZ

W8AAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Well if you live close by, how can you refuse a trip there? Someone may have a problem justifying a cross continent drive to get there but hamfests in general are probably not held in expensive venues. Still, eventually something has to change. At some point that place will be declared condemned or something like that. I find it sort of embarrassing to present such a place to international hams coming from halfway around the world to the USA and seeing a decayed odd mishmash of a complex but they keep on coming and so do I. I got no radios at all. Just odds and ends but the flea market is a treasure hunt for me each year. And whatever I buy inside saves shipping and waiting. I will say no more. But I am thinking......

4. KD8YQC

KD8YQC Ham Member QRZ Page

I could care less about the building and the parking lot. All that matters is the people and the content.

W9AMM, N8KC and K2HAT like this.
  5. K2HAT

K2HAT Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

I guess you were never in the Boy Scouts and had to use a latrine/ outhouse. ;)

I have been to Dayton 3 years in a row, it is not perfect and neither am I.
    I do not expect any Hamfest to resemble a brand new Walmart.

Yes the back road coming into the North end of the Flea Market does get muddy. :(

The porta potties were serviced at least 2 times a day Thursday, Friday and Saturday and were while not pristine better than last year. :)

I had a good time, and plan to go next year.

6. W3UC

W3UC Ham Member QRZ Page

I dont expect the Hara arena to be new and spotless but there seems to be a lack of management of many simple problems.
    Running out of soap in the bathrooms by the first day and never refilling isnt a pleasant thought when the folks making food use the same bathrooms. On the subject of bathrooms there is a real lack of them . If you need to #1 a small wait at most but if you need to do a "major transaction" get in line . There do need to be more restrooms There is no excuse for the conditions of the dirt road in and out of the fleamarket. I understand paving it would be expensive but buying some stone or recycled concrete is a easy fix on the holes . Anyone eles notice the lack of trash cans this year in the fleamarket??

7. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

It's just Dayton!! Have fun and put up with it or don't attend.

K8PRG likes this.
  8. K8PRG

K8PRG Ham Member QRZ Page

I didn't have a problem with any of that...but those $5 draft beers...sheesh....

9. N5RFX

N5RFX Ham Member QRZ Page

I wonder what is the average hamfest beer price? At TX hamfests I rarely get the opportunity to buy one. At Dayton I have enough to make my buying experiences always positive.

Mark N5RFX

NL7W likes this.
  10. K2HAT

K2HAT Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

I do not drink beer at a Hamfest, maybe afterwards at Dinner, but no way during an event.

You only rent coffee and beer. ;)

NL7W likes this.
  11. K8PRG

K8PRG Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll drink responsibly,..but sometimes I still buy irresponsibly....

12. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Yep I've never been to Trotwood.

But I've been in "clean" bathrooms in China. Sorry, there's just no way Hara is that bad.

13. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Are they beers? Or just Miller and Bud?

14. KA7RRA

KA7RRA Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I drink milk

15. N5RFX

N5RFX Ham Member QRZ Page

Bud Light was one choice, no Miller. They did have Shock Top, an IPA, and a bock. Nice selection, and they usually start selling around 10:30 am. Nice.

Mark N5RFX

KC9UDX likes this.