ad: TinyPaddle-1

Question about Estate Sales ads

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by K9DTC, Apr 29, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Sometimes I avoid the tested ones.

I've seen eBay ads where a guy takes a picture of the transmitter output power needle pegged and no antenna plugged in. "Has full output. Tested for 15 minutes!"

2. WD0BMS

WD0BMS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Usually with farm machinery and household goods sales, estate sale means things are being sold to settle the affairs of the deceased. If the person took exceptional care of their things or they or their family was well liked, neighbors will pay a little extra. Sort of like giving a donation to help out the survivors.
    Generally with ham gear, relatives and family are non hams and have no idea how to even market the deceased hams equipment. Usually a ham friend of the deceased will volunteer to dispose of the items and get as close to a fair price as he can for the benefit of the deceased's family. The friend will list them as estate items meaning he is not making money himself but rather selling them as a favor to the heirs.
    At least that is the way most of us out here in the sticks still do it.

73, Dave WD0BMS

3. N6OIL

N6OIL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I wish I could reply to some of those adds and tell them they are way overpriced.

4. N3VEM

N3VEM Ham Member QRZ Page

A couple people hit on it, but bottom line from my understanding - in every type of sale / auction / etc - ham radio equipment included - estate sale means that they selling the stuff of someone who died, no more no less. This is normally for liquidation purposes, to make spreading assets among those listed as benefactors in the will easier. Sometimes you get stuff at a bargain and sometimes you don't, but the "estate" part has nothing to do with the pricing - that's just up to the person selling the stuff. In a true estate sale the person selling the stuff is named in the will, or appointed by those named in the will, to handle the sale.

Vance N3VEM
    www.n3vem.com

5. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I did get a bit disappointed when a ham sold me a SKs radio claiming to be helping the widow out.

He did not give her all of the money, he told her the radio was not worth very much.

Needless to say he lost a lot of friends doing that BS.

6. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Today I am selling at a PRE-ESTATE SALE!!! I am not SK yet, but its just a skim off the top of what will be found when the big one comes!!
    And, OH THE TREASURES TO BE FOUND!!!
    One person has personally seen the treasure, handled it and carried it.
    She can't be mentioned on here though.
    But she knows where the best stuff is hid! (most is in boxes!!!)
    Some is absolutely priceless!!! Like my original AUDION. its in a box somewhere!!! Haven't seen it since we moved the junk from the West Wing to the North Wing!

7. KD0CAC

KD0CAC Ham Member QRZ Page

She , who can not be mentioned .
    Friends that have similar interests , tend to gather in similar places .
    I just read her posts on another good web site - EEV blog ;)

8. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

This is what happens the majority of the time. Vultures descending on the gear to make a quick buck.

9. NX6ED

NX6ED Ham Member QRZ Page

Flea market or yard/garage sale items are perceived as items which are not wanted any more. Estate sale items are perceived as items which were loved and used to the end of someone's life...