ad: Retevis-1

WW1USA Special Event Station to be On the Air: The Battle of Jutland

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W0ICQ, May 3, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. W0ICQ

W0ICQ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

[​IMG]

The Battle of Jutland was a naval battle fought by the British Royal Navy's Grand Fleet under Admiral Sir John Jellicoe, against the Imperial German Navy's High Seas Fleet under Vice-Admiral Reinhard Scheer during the First World War. The battle was fought from 31 May to 1 June 1916 in the North Sea, near the coast of Denmark's Jutland Peninsula. It was the largest naval battle and the only full-scale clash of battleships in the war. It was the third fleet action between steel battleships, following the smaller but more decisive battles of the Yellow Sea (1904) and Tsushima (1905) during the Russo-Japanese War.

Fourteen British and eleven German ships were sunk, with great loss of life. After sunset, and throughout the night, Jellicoe maneuvered to cut the Germans off from their base, hoping to continue the battle the next morning, but under the cover of darkness Scheer broke through the British light forces forming the rearguard of the Grand Fleet and returned to port.

Both sides claimed victory. The British lost more ships and twice as many sailors, and the British press criticized the Grand Fleet's failure to force a decisive outcome, but Scheer's plan of destroying a substantial portion of the British fleet also failed. The Germans' "fleet in being" continued to pose a threat, requiring the British to keep their battleships concentrated in the North Sea, but the battle confirmed the German policy of avoiding all fleet-to-fleet contact. At the end of the year, after further unsuccessful attempts to reduce the Royal Navy's numerical advantage, the German Navy turned its efforts and resources to unrestricted submarine warfare and the destruction of Allied and neutral shipping which by April 1917 triggered the United States of America's declaration of war on Germany.

Debate over the performance of the opposing commanders and the significance of the battle continues to this day.

Special Event Station WW1USA of the National World War I Museum and Memorial will be on the air at Kansas City, Missouri to commemorate this historic event. The Johnson County Radio Amateurs of Overland Park, Kansas will sponsor this special operating event at the museum, 15:00 UTC on May 7th through 22:00 UTC on May 9th. All Amateur Radio Operators from around the world are invited to participate in this Special Event by contacting WW1USA on the radio. If you’re in Kansas City during the Special Event, all Amateur Radio operators who present an operator license will receive $5 admission to the Museum for themselves and up to three guests. (No other discounts apply.)

Stations making contact with WW1USA during the Special Event can request a Contact Certificate through the ww1usa.org website through June 1, 2016. A QSL Card can be obtained via mail by sending SASE or by providing other return postage. You can also obtain an Electronic QSL Card via eQSL.

For more details, please visit http://ww1usa.org

For more information on the Battle of Jutland, please visit https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Jutland

2. KA4AQM

KA4AQM Ham Member QRZ Page

You all put on a class A special event and the certificates are done quite well. I don't trust my printer, so I dump the certificate to a jump drive and take it to the local print shop and let them do the magic! Hope to work you all again this year.

Randy
    KA4AQM
    Chesapeake, VA

3. W0ICQ

I'll pass this alone to the guys! They'll be glad to know! Thanks!

4. W0ICQ

One minor error that I need to correct; The end time for the event should read, "22:00 UTC on May 8th." I apologize for the error and any confusion it may have caused. Thanks!

5. N0FPE

N0FPE Ham Member QRZ Page

I will be scanning the band!!

6. WA7SGS

WA7SGS Ham Member QRZ Page

Why was my informative (in my eyes) about Jutland deleted?

Rick

7. W6UDO

W6UDO Ham Member QRZ Page

Looking forward to it!! Any special bands/frequencies I should start listening on?? Hope you catch you on CW!
    Mni tnx for this FB event! Very 73 and GL...Joe

8. W6UDO

W6UDO Ham Member QRZ Page

Ooops. Meant to write "Hope TO catch you on CW."

9. W0ICQ

Beats me! I didn't delete it...