ad: M2Ant-1

FCC ISSUES NPRM TO ELIMINATE CODE REQUIREMENT

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Jul 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. NY2B

NY2B Ham Member QRZ Page

How about hams operating where no-code, no-theory radio enthusiasts already operate? Sharing 27 MHz could be a connection between elmers and newcomers.

2. AD4MG

AD4MG Banned QRZ Page

Interesting little diddy ... sit on the "Ham Radio News" page, and every 30 seconds hit your refresh key.  The views counter for this thread almost always changes.  At least it's more interesting than actually reading more of these posts.

Brought to you by a member of the service's most elite group ... the first batch of codeless techs gone 20 wpm extra.  Totally insane concept that is!

Now, I wonder how long it will be before I get flamed.  Won't see it for a while ... gonna watch that view counter for a few hours.  Fascinating!

3. K6BBC

K6BBC Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree.  5WPM was BS for Extra.  This is why I will never upgrade my Advanced.  I passed a 13WPM code test with 1 min. of 100% copy.  Why would I want a no-code Extra?

BBC

4. K4JF

K4JF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

And just how would this proposal save Amateur radio? When the exams were made easier, number of hams went down. When code was eliminated for Techs, the number of hams went down. When the code was reduced for General and Extra, the number of hams went down. More of the same is to fix the problem?

I submit that a reduction in the number of hams has more to do with today's society than anything happening in licensing. Engineering schools report a drop in the number of applicants for many of the same reasons. American young are just not interested in technical things - takes too much effort.

And the aging of hams is not a ham radio problem - the entire population is aging. As we get older, finish raising the children, get more comfortable financially, it's only natural that we would finally get that license.

We should really make more effort to get the middle-aged into the hobby. They are the ones that will be building the great stations!!!

5. WA5BEN

WA5BEN Ham Member QRZ Page

If you had bothered to read my posts, you would see that I fully support the removal of the code requirement. Nothing in my 43+ years has indicated to me that the code is a necessary part of ham radio -- or that it would serve as a "Lid Filter" to prevent those with no respect for themselves or others from getting a license.

Based upon your responses to many, I have to assume that you are unacquainted with gentlemanly conduct. You would do well to learn.

You also force me to consider the previously excluded pairing of "idiot AND jackass".

6. K1MH

K1MH Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow, sounds like the Kerry / Bush debates all over again.

Even down to the white guy remark. So far this is the first politically skewed liberal comment I have seen on the code issue out of the 1600+ comments

"Rock the vote"

Mike - K1MH [​IMG]

7. KG4WRQ

KG4WRQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey, that is fun!

8. WA5BEN

To correct the mis-quoted "QUOTE". (and to place this in context)

I actually said "The difference between an idiot and a jackass is that the idiot understands when told he crossed the line."

In response to: Quote (N1IRL @ July 24 2005,19:44)
    Quote (WA5BEN @ July 24 2005,19:39)

It appears to me that both ab0wr and n1irl missed the part about "gentlemanly conduct".

Every poster on this thread needs to re-read some of The Old Man's wisdom -- especially about how to treat a brother.[/quote]
    No, I think that AB0WR missed the part about the FCC eliminating the CW requirement on all license classes! There is nothing else to talk about. By February 2006 we will all be on the HF bands talking phone with the microphone that came with our HF rigs that was intended to be used on it in the first place!

www.nocode.org

Catch the new wave on the airwaves!!!!!!!!!

N1IRL

Rick

9. W4MAY

W4MAY Ham Member QRZ Page

I am looking forward to the day when the no coder's on HF become the majority and petition the FCC to ban those that have code extra's and advanced into a 100 K area of each of the bands so they can exclusively operate CW and leave the rest of the spectrum to no coder's. Segregation in reverse -- tyranny of the majority [​IMG] [​IMG]

I am still plugging away at the code CD's and my practice oscillator, because it will be at least 1 to 2 years before this takes effect.

10. N0OV

N0OV Guest

Well look at the bright side. The FCC finally found a way to stop us from talking about BPL

11. WA5BEN

Please do not change MY words and leave it as a "quote".

MY words: "The difference between an idiot and a jackass is that the idiot understands when told he has crossed the line."

12. Guest

Guest Guest

2e0kck de m3wem,
    you about andy, kn

13. K1MH

K1MH Ham Member QRZ Page

Someone tell me No Code International Organization is a joke. There is an organization out there that exists for something as trivial as a 5 WPM code requirement. Yes, this is a trivial matter.

The FCC has already made its decision on the matter regardless of what comments are submitted by either side and are just going through the motions.

You have people from this group telling people what to do, what to say,what not to say, not to discuss the issue.

If you have to join a cult, join a cult with a real mission like making the leader rich. At least there is a real goal for the leader.

If you are thinking about joining or have joined ask yourself why you would want to belong to an organization about nothing?

Mike - K1MH

[​IMG]

14. AA0CX

AA0CX Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey everyone!

Chill out! The whole debate is not worth having a cow/stroke/heart attack over.

For those die hard CW fans [and I'm one of them] -- no one is going to take away CW.

So what's the big complaint? It'll be just as before: those who want to operate CW WILL operate CW. They'll just have to learn it without being REQUIRED to learn it.

Face it: most of ops today suck it up, learn their 5wpm, then grab the microphone and rarely, if ever, touch a key [much less a bug or paddle] again.

The complaint -- as I see it -- is that there are a bunch of us out there who are whining and complaining that the newbies will be getting a "free pass" onto HF without the code. They join the fraternity without having to go through the initiation.

Big deal. I "do code" because I WANT to do code! I think most everyone out there pounding brass does it for the same reason. For the "love of the code." And we'll continue to do it.

I look at it this way: if the elimination of the Morse requirement brings more people into ham radio, so much the better. SOME of them will eventually tire of voice contacts, and discover the "Gold Standard" of amateur radio: CW.

Rock on! [​IMG]

15. AB0WR

AB0WR Ham Member QRZ Page

aa0cx:
    "For those die hard CW fans [and I'm one of them] -- no one is going to take away CW."

Well, don't be too sure of this. If you haven't seen the proposal in front of the FCC to do away with the exclusive CW/data subbands, you should read this:

http://w8er.com/proposal1.htm

Once the entire HF bands become saturated with phone from the all the new hams this elimination of Morse Code testing is supposed to result in, there just may not be very much room left for any other mode.

tim ab0wr

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.