ad: MyersEng-1

Radio Shack is Back?

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by W4KJG, Nov 28, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. KB0MNM

KB0MNM Ham Member QRZ Page

If it had a threaded socket for the tip it was probably an Ungar product. You may wish to see if the ones that Sears sell match. I was happy to repair my RS desoldering iron with a new Sears iron, and have found one store that still has desoldering tips. If your iron used a big 'U' shaped tip, look for Weller irons in Ace Hardware and other stores, including Sears.

2. KG5KOG

KG5KOG Ham Member QRZ Page

it is a threaded female.
    There was one there at RS with threaded female, but it was larger diameter hole.

Not the 'U' shaped for the guns. Just a single shaft pointed tip, with maybe 1/8 thread socket.
    Its the dual wattage 30/40 is what I have, the one that comes with the base.

I took a file to it and cleaned it up some.

3. N2ICZ

N2ICZ Ham Member QRZ Page

There are now only two RS within a 25 mile radius of my QTH. I was in the vicinity of 1 of them and decided to check it out. It was similar to what one of the other posters described - 1/2 the store was Sprint (with a customer going through cell phone hell), the other half was product related. It had the parts drawer. Looked inside and ...meh. Saw some arduino stuff which was interesting. I needed a 1/4 inch phono to rca male connector....found one and my eyes widened when I saw they wanted $12.95 for it. Took out the cell phone on my way to the car and ordered one on Amazon for $2.50. I'm not that "crack addicted" to connectors or good coax that I can't wait two days for the mail.

P.S. At least the salespeople weren't on me like flies on you know what asking me about my cell phone carrier, etc. Only one salesperson asked me if I needed help, which I felt was reasonable.

4. KG5KOG

Same here yesterday, but was online looking to see what was in stock at local store.
    Didn't have what I needed, which was a good thing as the prices for the connectors they did have were too over priced.

5. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

At this point they probably should have put away the defibulator and let R.S. pass peacefully....

K6FNI likes this.
  6. KG5KOG

Yes, very sad... At this point it does not remember what it use to be like.

K6FNI likes this.
  7. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

yeah, me too! tried to buy soundcard adapter stuff at my local RS, but wow, no stock and too much.

I hope they'll come back, need a source for various audio adapters, parts bin, etc.

regardless the Arduino stuff and RPi stuff rocks. too bad it is 2x or 3x realistic cost, but gotta keep the locals in business.

KK5R likes this.
  8. KK5R

KK5R Ham Member QRZ Page

If you like Aduino and Jingle Bells kits, then you might find what you want.

9. KK5R

KK5R Ham Member QRZ Page

Locals make up the price on the fly, sometimes. Makes 'em look good at the end of the day. I believe their day will end sooner than they think. Too bad, too.

10. KK5R

KK5R Ham Member QRZ Page

Your store has that? My local store used to have it but when it was sold, it was not reordered.

11. K1FBI

K1FBI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Parts draws are loaded, a very large soldering section, build your own project kits are back, there are even books on electronics. The local RS in Derby, CT is back with a vengeance. RadioShack; no more TelephoneShack!!

12. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Was it even usable? I haven't seen usable coax in a Radio Shack round here in over a decade. The recent stuff was all their brand RG-58 which I wouldn't use for QRP on 160m unless nothing else was available.

13. KK5R

KK5R Ham Member QRZ Page

14. K1FBI

K1FBI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

OK spoke too soon. Went in this morning and bare walls. Was told they were closing next week for good. This is crazy...

15. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

Wondering when they are going to put "Time of death" on the certificate....