ad: elecraft

CQ Hexbeam owners. (especially on L.I.)

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by KG2DC, Oct 19, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. K2HAT

K2HAT Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

Works pretty good, in fact, very well, North, West and Northeast too, but South there is some big dummies house in the way. ;)

The yard is 26ft left to right, the house is South of where I am standing.

HAhahaaa

2. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

:) Thanks HAT. I have a fondness for those skinny NE houses - I lived in one here in Tacoma back around 1981 - not very wide but really deep, just like yours. Alas, no ham gear then - well, I had the gear (DX60 + Allied SX-190 receiver) but wasn't on the air.

Dave
    W7UUU

3. K3LI

K3LI Ham Member QRZ Page

k4kio beam is awesome. took 30 min to assemble. 30 min to get up on a 30 ft pole. 1.2 or less SWR all bands.

4. KK4SMJ

KK4SMJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't have a hex beam but I have a 5-band SpiderBeam HD at about 30 ft. It's been up about a year and a half. It works great but takes up a bit more space than a Hex. More gain than the hex also.

5. AI6KX

AI6KX Ham Member QRZ Page

Which one of these will stand up best to hurricane-strength winds?

6. W7EDC

W7EDC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I just got my Hex up in the air this weekend!

7. W7EDC

W7EDC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

8. AF5BR

AF5BR Ham Member QRZ Page

9. K2HAT

K2HAT Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

2 things I do not like about that antenna. Size and price.

42 foot across
    will not fit in my yard, and would be very difficult to walk up a ladder to put onto a mast pipe.

Most of the 6-20m hexbeams are about 22 foot across, and while not as easy to move as a 2m 4 element beam, I was able to install mine all alone.

I am using the NA4RR brand hexbeam and have been rather happy with it. :)

10. N2ADV

N2ADV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I also have a NA4RR hex (20-6 meters) and have had nothing but good results with it. We regularly get winds in the 65+mph range and it has been solid.

K2HAT and AI6KX like this.
  11. KD0ZBC

KD0ZBC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

NA4RR hex = A++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

K2HAT likes this.
  12. AI6KX

AI6KX Ham Member QRZ Page

We get Category 3 typhoons at least twice a year here, 1-minute sustained winds of 112 mph. And in my 13 years here I've been through 2 "Super-typhoons" which are about Category 4 and 5. My tower-to-be is a crankup but the antenna will still be in the breeze.

Steve in OKinawa

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
  13. N8WMZ

N8WMZ Ham Member QRZ Page

N8WMZ I got my hex beam from Roger Rockwell And at first I was thing it was going to my old ad.in OH.
    I called Roger Rockwell hexgonalbeam.com and he was in the UK he called home and made sour it was going to my new ad. now that going in books for a supplier
    And I did put hose clamps on the ends. I also had to put my hex beam to there on my picnic table just the right to stand in work no it.
    I still can't get over how well the hex beams work.

14. KK6GMN

KK6GMN Ham Member QRZ Page

http://www.k4kio.com/hex-beam-description/

I have had my for about 1.5 years and love it. Best antenna for my limited space situation. Easy to assemble and excellent results. DXCC and WAS all because of this antenna. sorry for the sideways pic. Please tilt your head.

photo 3.med_edit.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2016
  15. N6RGR

N6RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I also have a NA4RR hexbeam. It was on a temporary stand at about 15-feet. It was working great until our local deer herd dragged it down and a spreader arm broke. Slowly working on a more permanent install with a Yaesu rotor at the base of a Rohn H-40 push up mast. I should be able to get it up to about 33 to 35 feet up by fastening it to our cantilevered above ground deck. The materials are good quality and it is relatively easy to put together. I used a short pipe in a bucket filled with concrete with it about 4 feet above the ground. I just had some trees trimmed and I need to cut one more branch and I should be able to complete the more permanent installation. Cost-wise it is the best deal out there! I highly recommend it.

Roger KK6IVD

AI6KX likes this.