ad: k1jek

Radio Shack is Back?

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by W4KJG, Nov 28, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. W4KJG

W4KJG Subscriber QRZ Page

2. KG5KOG

KG5KOG Ham Member QRZ Page

It appears so.
    I went into one a couple weeks ago and said to one of the salespersons that I thought RS had declared bankruptcy.
    Salesperson stated that RS had pulled out of it. Don't know how/why...

Actually the article does state how/why.

Still its not the same RS I knew back in the 60s.
    I see less DIY items in there than there was.

3. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

after reading the first article....

KM4PYQ, KR4EE and K9ASE like this.
  4. N4AAB

N4AAB Ham Member QRZ Page

Their web site says half the stores closed but they are still a going concern. They still charge more than other stores.

5. K9ASE

K9ASE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I believe a venture capital company stuck more money into them last year.
    It was their last gasp and closing stores was part of their reorganization plan. I think this Christmas is make or break for them.

6. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

Dont have a social account so I sent them some feedback through the link about changing to survive while ignoring who got them there in the first place...

7. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

I hear they're planning on launching a 3-transistor TRF AM radio kit without a tuning dial or speaker :rolleyes:

Dave
    W7UUU

N7ANN, KK5R and AC8UN like this.
  8. WC3T

WC3T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It's not the RS of my yout' -- that's for sure. Although it is nice being able to go in and get some parts without waiting or paying shipping charges.

KK5R and K9ASE like this.
  9. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Do they still have some parts drawers for things like plugs, sockets, common electronic parts, etc. or did they do away with all that?

10. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

We used to have 4 or 5 here in Mobile, Ala. & now we have one left.
    I asked the sales lady if RS was going to close the remaining store here & she said "Nope". So we have one that remains.
    I noticed on her smock that it said Radio Shack & I said that I thought that Sprint or someone had bought them out & the name would probably be changing. NOPE...

I just went in to buy a Wall-Wart but it seemed to be stocked with all of the usual RS stuff.

11. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

My local store does - but maybe it's not that way in all of the remaining stores....

Dave
    W7UUU

N7ANN likes this.
  12. WC3T

WC3T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The one near my home QTH and at work still has parts drawers.

13. KG5KOG

I think it is a long way from what it carried for DIY in 60/70s.
    Tend to think that kids are no longer interested in DIY.
    its all about FB, Twitter, etc....

I had look at the part drawer in the one here.
    Just didn't seem to have the items I remember (not so much part number).
    don't remember what I was looking for, but at one time they did have it.

14. K5GHS

K5GHS Ham Member QRZ Page

From what I've been told, the one we have left around here still has the drawer, but it doesn't look like they are restocking it. Things in it were 50% off too.

Then they will probably sell the part drawer itself for 50% off to someone and that will be it.

15. KG5KOG

What I have been wondering is if the 'requirement' to have your name and address for the sale had caused a drop in their sales.

I have always refused to give it, except the time I used a CC... Was told I had to as it was company policy. I should have still refused.

One person sometime back was saying that the salesperson said they had to have to turn in the warranty for TV he had just bought.
    I know that is a bogus there.

Reason I am bringing this up, is I have to go there pretty quick and buy some ferrite chokes.
    The cash amount does sorta warrant the use of a CC, or I could go get the cash, which is a tad more time/trouble.
    I just have no desire to receive advertisements from them when I will never buy anything from them but small quantities of DIY parts.