ad: chuckmartin

RFinder - The World Wide Repeater Directory now free trial on Android!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Nov 6, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. G4TUT/SK2022

G4TUT/SK2022 Ham Member QRZ Page

RFinder - The World Wide Repeater Directory now free trial on Android!
    In order to support the proliferation of third party app stores worldwide, we have now released RFinder on Android as trialware!

Just go download it for free on Google Play as well as some of the third party app stores!
    Enjoy the world's most advanced and complete repeater directory for 30 days on us.

Experience the Social Features with APRS, Facebook and Twitter. Try the direct integration with the EchoLink app. Trial is limited to the app on Android only...if you want to download data using web.rfinder.net, routes.rfinder.net, RT Systems or CHIRP, subscribe inside the app and click menu-subscription...or visit http://subscribe.rfinder.net .

[​IMG]

RFinder is a steadily growing worldwide repeater directory which has over 50.000 repeaters in over 170 countries.

Annual ~€9 subscription to RFinder provides access to repeater data through its collections of Apps on Android and iPhone, RadioBuddy on iPhone, web, RT Systems and CHIRP radio programmers.

RFinder's new feature of repeater routing ( http://routes.rfinder.net ) allows finding of repeaters over routes worldwide.
    One subscription, access to repeater data worldwide, from any computing device on Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, iPhone and popular GPS systems. Realtime radio programming on Android and iPhone is provided by the open source RFinderPi, which is based on the Raspberry Pi.

RFinder is tightly integrated with EchoLink both on Android and iPhone, providing one-click connection to repeaters worldwide from the directory!

The RFinder team is excited to release RFinder Android as Trialware "With the release of RFinder on third party app stores worldwide, we needed to make it so those users could get regular updates. Now they will," says Bob Greenberg, W2CYK, creator of RFinder - The World Wide Repeater Directory.

[​IMG]

- RFinder is the Official Repeater Directory of Radio Amateurs Canada... Canadian Amateurs who subscribe contribute to RAC.
    - RFinder is the Official Repeater Directory App of Radio Society of Great Britain... UK Amateurs who subscribe contribute to RSGB.
    - RFinder is the Official Repeater Directory of Amateur Radio Society Italia… IT Amateurs who subscribe contribute to ARS Italia.
    - RFinder is the Official Repeater Directory of Federación Mexicana de Radioexperimentadores… MX Radioaficionados who subscribe contribute to FMRE.
    - RFinder is the Official Repeater Directory of Deutscher Amateur Radio Club...DE Amateurs who subscribe contribute to DARC DE.
    - RFinder isEl directorio de repetidor con la base de datos oficial de Unión de Radioaficionados Españoles...ES Amateurs who subscribe contribute to URE ES.
    - RFinder devient le répertoire de référence du Réseau de Emetteurs Français.

Subscribe to RFinder by visiting http://subscribe.rfinder.net from your iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch or your Android. Those without an Apple or Android device can subscribe with the link at the bottom of http://subscribe.rfinder.net

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. K8QZ

K8QZ Ham Member QRZ Page

PL tones ruined vhf/uhf

3. K6BTM

K6BTM Ham Member QRZ Page

What ?.. :confused:

4. K8QZ

K8QZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I used to carry my 2m rig with me on the road. What a pain in the butt trying to figure out how to program PL tone while driving. Not much on the air either. Now it just collects dust...... I wish 2 meter SSB was more popular though.

5. KK2DOG

KK2DOG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

6. AA9SD

AA9SD Ham Member QRZ Page

I haven't used RF Finder but Repeater Book isn't very good at entering a route and then listing repeaters along that route. It appears that RF Finder allows you to enter waypoints along a route and will list repeaters near each waypoint. I'm going to give it a try.

I recently drove from near Chicago to Portland, OR and back and couldn't really do any route planning with Repeater Book. I had to look on a map for towns along my route then enter each town in the "Proximity" tab to get a list of repeaters and then repeat that process for each town/waypoint along the route to get a list to program into my mobile. Repeater Book has a "route" capability but it seems severely limited. You can choose an Interstate Highway, state highway or US Route then choose a state and it will list repeaters along that route. The problem is it doesn't really work well. I chose I88 in Illinois and it came up with one repeater. By manually looking up towns along the way I was able to find many repeaters, most just a few miles off of I88 (almost every town of any size has at least one repeater).

If RF Finder allows listing a bunch of towns on one screen (and it appears to) and then locates the repeaters in or near those towns it would be a step forward.

Hope this helps.

7. K9PLG

K9PLG Ham Member QRZ Page

I Have used repeater book for a while - it works well and the best part - does not cost a dime ;) Have never paid for an APP and am not about to start...

8. WF5TX

WF5TX Ham Member QRZ Page

Does any directory or app tell you on which repeater - out of 20 or 30 - you are most likely to get an answer to your call? Until they can, the best repeater directory is still a local ham monitoring 146.520 FM simplex. They can give you that elusive information. If you're just passing through town, stay on simplex. Do we really need to chat for 50 miles?

9. W2CYK

W2CYK Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Bob here...Creator of RFinder...

Routing is even better than that...put in a start point and end point, set how far off your road you want to see the machines and it shows you. Http://routes.rfinder.net is the URL for route search and lets you download a route to CHIRP, your favorite GPS or other radio programmer. RT Systems has route searching built in...you can choose between searching a point or searching over a route. You can also add up to 8 waypoints along the way to modify your route on both routes.rfinder.net and built into RT Systems radio programmers V4 and above. Have a look at it'll be fun!

We have many other features, such as our apps integrate directly with EchoLink on both Android and iOS. It's the first time two amateur radio app developers worked together to integrate their software....just have the EchoLink app registered and working and when you are in RFinder, open a repeater detail that has an EchoLink node and touch the node number...you will connect directly. In the app there is a special view of worldwide LIVE EchoLink nodes...we update this hourly...so finding a live EL node in an area becomes very easy. shows how to configure EchoLink and shows how to make a QSO...interesting note this video was done with the Android car stereo installed in the W2CYK Batmobile ;) A video of our exclusive live EchoLink nodes function can be found at

Our Social Features allow users to check into a machine and share that check-in using APRS, Facebook and Twitter. Choose your social networks in the app and a checkin will notify your circle that you are on frequency on the social services you have chosen and configured. Just go into a repeater detail and click Checkin button or connect to an EchoLink node...if APRS is selected, you will be placed on the map at your QTH as being connected to the remote EL node and you will also be dropped on the map near the remote repeater so Hams in that are will know you on frequency via EchoLink.

We show real-time status of an IRLP node in the app also...just sayin'

There are many other features. And while the freebies are ok lists, we are a fully integrated system, created by programmers. That are Hams. That put food on their tables with your 86 cents/month subscription (thank you!). We put repeater data anywhere in the world on any most computing device a ham might use. We also financially support the radio societies of the world that work with us...

- RFinder is the Official Repeater Directory of Radio Amateurs Canada... Canadian Amateurs who subscribe contribute to RAC.
    - RFinder is the Official Repeater Directory App of Radio Society of Great Britain... UK Amateurs who subscribe contribute to RSGB.
    - RFinder is the Official Repeater Directory of Amateur Radio Society Italia… IT Amateurs who subscribe contribute to ARS Italia.
    - RFinder is the Official Repeater Directory of Federación Mexicana de Radioexperimentadores… MX Radioaficionados who subscribe contribute to FMRE.
    - RFinder is the Official Repeater Directory of
    Deutscher Amateur Radio Club...DE Amateurs who subscribe contribute to DARC DE.
    - RFinder isEl directorio de repetidor con la base de datos oficial de
    Unión de Radioaficionados Españoles...ES Amateurs who subscribe contribute to URE ES.
    - RFinder devient le répertoire de référence du
    Réseau de Emetteurs Français.

Anyone remember when it was good to create something from nothing? It's what got us to the Moon and back...alive....We put your donation to good use and keep innovating, constantly pushing the envelope of what a repeater directory can do. Thanks again for your support! Bob W2CYK

AA9SD likes this.
  10. W2CYK

Sure...why would you want to spend 86 cents/month (you wasted 86 cents yesterday somewhere LOL) to support creating and maintaining Ham software...that'd be just crazy talk!

AA9SD likes this.
  11. W2CYK

LOL I know you are trying not to be a knucklehead...you are doing the best you know how..that's all we can ask ;)

LOL see above...I will not be sucked into disparaging another directory but as you can see above we have many features that are unique...and we employ people to create them. Remember when it was good to employ people?

12. W2CYK

LOL I know I created the WW Repeater Directory, but I love 2m SSB and simplex in general...We work with both CHIRP and RT Systems and the manufacturers' radio programmers...both around a QTH and over a route...anywhere in the world. Takes about 2 minutes to program a radio using the RFinder data and your favorite programmers.

For programming while you drive...we also have a realtime radio programmer attached to the Apps..works on both Android and iPhone (we have the only realtime programmer for iOS)...based on the Raspberry PI...its a fun project to make...
    on iOS
    on Android
    how to configure it...

13. AA9SD

AA9SD Ham Member QRZ Page

Bob,
    That is great. I will be giving RF Finder a try!

14. W2CYK

x

Last edited: Nov 8, 2015
  15. W2CYK

Yea...actually we do...If you want to link to an EchoLink node, we show the live ones...that is a great start IMHO! LOL I use simplex too ;)