ad: chuckmartin

Shelby Hamfest Had a smaller turnout than last year!

Discussion in 'Hamfest Reports & Videos' started by KM4KWO, Sep 6, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Most of the ones around here have free admission to the restrooms too.

2. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

That's problematic.

More problematic is having too few and too small ones. For reasons I don't quite understand (but most women claim to), most men can't seem to hit a toilet in a small space, especially in a hurry (or in China). It's why I have _____fest boots. :(

(Name redacted to protect the rather prominent sponsor of the event)

3. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Our LAKESIDE club just put on the first SAN DIEGO HAMFEST last month, and they charged $5 to get in and another $5 for the tailgate space. free parking otherwise. Everyone had a grand time, I sure did with all the junk I bought!

4. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

maybe it was cheaper to buy than to build?

5. N2SR

N2SR Ham Member QRZ Page

Would you like him to forge his own alumimum tubing from bauxite as well?

W5KUL and KV3D like this.
  6. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I think he should have to make the bauxite from military surplus depleted uranium.

7. KD4YSH

KD4YSH Ham Member QRZ Page

The wheel was invented a long time ago, moot point my rf friend, the "j-pole' antenna dates back a long time ago and this is the best antenna to build but being a ham is invention, its design, its fun, if you can pass the test it makes you want to design and build. Now, learn all you can about DMR radio, they are taking over my ham buddy, listen and learn its priceless.

73's
    build....invent.....have fun...ham it up

8. KD4YSH

3 foot 3/4 PVC pipe and some 12 to 14 inch 1/8 inch rods all from home depot or lowe's spend around 4.00 and an hour have a nice yaggi...being a amateur radio operator and building your antennas makes it fun............................antenna elmer will help you with simple easy plans
    73's

9. KD4YSH

by
    I build all my computers and the computers for the club also.........custom build, take a course in computers its easy....
    73's

10. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

SOME HAMS GET BAKED... [then post in internet forums :p]

Dave
    W7UUU

11. N2SR

N2SR Ham Member QRZ Page

He didn't buy a j-pole. He bought a UHF yagi. Since you don't know the application, it's entirely possible that a j-pole antenna is insufficient for the intended purpose. He might not have the tools and other materials to build a UHF yagi. I don't know how much he bought the yagi for, but I suspect it was cheaper than to go out and buy all the materials to build one.

12. KD4YSH

Dave that is good I think all hams should build their equipment the hobby is fun

73's

13. KD4YSH

You can build a 2 meter or 440 yagi for about 3.00

14. KD4YSH

The yagi's that I have built for 50 years consist of 3 foot of 3/4 pvc and some 1/8 inch straight rod for drop ceiling suspension build it in an hour, antenna elmer look it up new hams will learn sooner or later, now wanna talk home built spark gap or magnetic loop I have built many also, have fun, stay thirsty my friend

73's

15. KV3D

KV3D Ham Member QRZ Page

It was a 22 element K1FO for 432 and I plan on using it to experiment with EME, and it cost me $80. Considering what I would have to spend just for the tools to build one like this, I think I did well.

N3AB, W5KUL and K8TDN like this.