ad: cq2k-1

Is it just me or does anyone else think contesters are out of control

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by KE0CGB, Sep 27, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. K5TRI

K5TRI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Bing is your friend for good search results :)

I can complain about VHF and up contests all day long. There aren't enough of them and activity levels are way too low and not enough use of
    CW on 2m and 70cm ... oh wait that's the wrong kind of complaining, right? I knew it.

Plus these weirdos on 6 & 2 always talk about their maid's head ... and how the grid is square ..

Btw. I bet that if the haters hear that we all make lots of QSOs during a VHF contests all on the SAME frequency their heads will explode.

Mike K5TRI

W7UUU likes this.
  2. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

LOL!!

And yes, it really gets old the same old group EVERY TIME.... how about some new blood in the VHF contests? Even if the bands don't open... just to have some new folks to work would be nice! Especially on CW.

And with the added bonus, contest HaterZ never seem to hate CW contests or VHF contests - only SSB and RTTY when it intrudes on JT modes :)

Dave
    W7UUU

3. KV3D

KV3D Ham Member QRZ Page

It's because they don't know CW. They're LIDS who just sit on one frequency with their VFO rusted and talk for hours about their knee and back pains as if anybody cares. And then when it's not in use and somebody else comes along to use it for something else, they QRM the new users of the frequency. Just look at that AF5TX vs. OE5T incident. It started because the 14.300 LID felt that his "emergency" frequency should be immune from use by anybody else.

4. N1EN

N1EN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Actually, I have heard a few complaints associated with the big CW contests (CQ WW does a very good job of filling open bands assuming even decent conditions), to the point of seeing calls for "contest free" segments on the contest-permitted bands. I'd chalk it up to someone being grumpy at having to use the VFO, or having a need to use a narrower filter (either onboard the receiver or between the ears) than at other times.

And, of course, those complaints are NOTHING like those arising from phone or RTTY contests.

I won't deny that some contesters could do a better job at remembering basic operating courtesy...but I wonder if those same bad habits occur at approximately the same rate in contesters vs. non-contesters (after accounting for contesters tolerating more tightly packed bands); perhaps it just seems worse because there is so much more activity on the bands.

If so...the "crime" of contesting is perhaps just that bands actually get used.

5. N5BO

N5BO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I should of known better than to click on this thread....

N0YPD likes this.
  6. K5TRI

Isn't it interesting that we contesters manage to make plenty of contacts on such crowded bands, operating for hours and hours, yet non-contesters can't find a clear spot? Btw. it's not that the lower portion of 40m was packet with CW QSOs during the weekend when in fact RTTY activity came as low as 7.030. I checked occasionally.
    Also, there was plenty JT65 activity as people seemed to stay away from 7.076.

Durrn cuntestors ...

7. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Perhaps we can lobby government to mandate warning labels.

8. W4SEX

W4SEX Ham Member QRZ Page

Competition-no such thing as an equal one. Humans living with the Illusion of Superiority.

9. N1EN

N1EN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

When I contest, I only really compete against myself, to see how well I can do, or to try to meet/surpass goals I set to amuse myself.

Do I have an illusion of superiority over myself?

10. K5TRI

Well, there will be a talk at the VHF Conference in two weeks on how to get more activity on the bands. I don't see your name on the list of
    participants :).

http://pnwvhfs.org/conference/2015/announcement.html

11. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

A) This is the first I've heard of it
    B) I'm out of town that weekend
    C) I'm not exactly a VHF monster station - I just play when the others are playing :)

Dave
    W7UUU

12. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

D) YoU're more into UUUHF.

AA9SD and W7UUU like this.
  13. K5TRI

A) That means they need to do better marketing in the future
    B) Too bad, but hope you have a great trip
    C) Neither am I, which is good. Imagine all the complaints by the non-contesters on 2m if there were too many monster contest stations crowding up the band ;)

W7UUU likes this.
  14. KI6MUH

KI6MUH Ham Member QRZ Page

what drives me nuts is the big guns running a endless tape calling cq never know when to jump in i dont think the endless cq loop should b allowed but it is amazin how many folks can b out there during contests when they say conditions r bad i enjoy them and get contacts but i think there r too many 73 everyone

15. W7UUU

No offense, but why do you spell/punctuate like that? Just curious... saving time I guess? :)

I once had a boss who insisted I type "@" instead of "at" in communications to business associates because it saved time. "Don't waste my money typing letters that don't need to be typed"...

...he never realized that holding down Shift and hitting 2 for the "@" were exactly the same number of keystrokes.

Dave
    W7UUU

Last edited: Oct 1, 2015