ad: M2Ant-1

Is it just me or does anyone else think contesters are out of control

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by KE0CGB, Sep 27, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. N8QDR

N8QDR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Iam not a contester but I have been noticing that operators are using the am windows for ssb. This was a gentlemans agreement from back in the 50's or 60's.

2. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

amazing.... utter CRICKETS on the bands now.... not a PEEP!!

Where are all the contest whiners? Why aren't they all in droves calling CQ in the exact band plan segments, yakking on for hours about their families and interests and other hobbies?

I get SO TIRED of this same old song and dance. Bitch about contests, then when they're done, turn off the radio.

I don't like to post negative stuff most of the time, but this one just gets under my skin.

"Contest ends = band conditions are now horrible and no point in playing radio"

Year after year, same story.

Dave
    W7UUU

WJ4U and KC9UDX like this.
  3. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

Back in the 70's-early 80's back in the days of 23 channels on 11m, there was a gentleman's agreement that channel 16 was reserved for SSB only.

When CB expanded to 40 channels the agreement was expanded to also include channels 34-40 for people with the newer radios.

What does that have to do with Ham radio do you say....

Quite simple, The majority of the gentlemen in both services that made and held by those agreements
    are long gone...

just as 11m went to hell in a hand basket.......

Whole new crop of people on the airwaves that never heard of the agreement, Don't care about the agreement
    as long as they are having their fun.

Everybody complains but hardly anybody does anything to solve the problem (whatever it is)
    very few take the time to Elmer anybody. There are more O.F.s around with such superiority complexes
    that they would rather belittle a noob than try to "educate" him than there are willing Elmers.

Just look at How many Hams still held an Advanced class ticket and refused (Even unto death) to upgrade to Extra in protest of that restructuring?....

I have done very little operating since getting my ticket in fear of committing a faux Pas and getting ripped a new A.H.

Can't put up an antenna here, And removed the equipment from the car.
    I have the ticket but I am no longer active.
    Had more fun playing around with circuits and being able to try them on the air etc.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
  4. KJ3N

KJ3N Ham Member QRZ Page

5. N1EN

N1EN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

2121869.jpg

I got a chuckle at the phone op who started calling CQ DX on sideband on top of me while I was running RTTY around 14.130 Sunday. I made more DX contacts than he did.

6. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

You are implying they should operate only before or after a contest.

7. KV3D

KV3D Ham Member QRZ Page

They seem to believe that that's the only way. I'm just saying that if contests really are that bad and they aren't able to operate, then they should be doing it now...but they're not.

8. N7ZAL

N7ZAL Ham Member QRZ Page

I have never worked a contest because it doesn't motivate or make sense to me. However, contesters have been tearing up the bands ever since I first started.

There are WARC bands to work and the contests only last a weekend. I just avoid the chaos, enjoy what I can, and realize it isn't forever.

No big deal for me. :)

N0YPD likes this.
  9. N4UP

N4UP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Some people like contests, some people don't. It's not about contesting. It's about rude or careless behavior, and that applies to contesters and non-contesters alike. There are a lot of radio activities that don't appeal to me, but I respect the people who have other interests and their right to pursue those interests. Except when it comes to rude/crude behavior, jammers, etc. Yes I would like a stricter enforcement of the rules, but I don't have any realistic expectations in that regard. So we can simply operate as considerately as we can, and not worry so much about what other people do.

I do note a certain naivete in many operators, who suffer QRM and automatically assume it is intentional or careless, without realizing that the other guy might not hear them. I find a clear frequency, ask if it is clear, hear no response, call CQ. Swing the beam, and all of a sudden there is a loud QSO on frequency. Receiving patterns do not necessarily match transmitting patterns. Sometimes I can hear people who cannot hear me, and vice versa.

If there is a CW contest, then maybe the SSB bands are not so crowded, and vice versa. And on a big contest weekend, there are always the WARC bands to go to. It's not like we are stuck with crystal-control. If I find something that doesn't appeal to me, I spin the dial. With decent antennas for every band 160-6 meters there are always options.

N0TZU likes this.
  10. W1CJS

W1CJS Ham Member QRZ Page

sometimes I think that op's forget to have fun or that this hobby should be fun. I for one like to have fun and if someone takes the frequency then so be it. I will find another one. Remember all lets have fun and not all of us are contesters.

11. AA7EJ

AA7EJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Granted, "con tester" who runs maximum "legal" power is a LID , but 95.55% of ham radio "operators" have no clue how radio waves travel and just do not understand why "my clear frequency where I have been chewing fat with my buddy for last half an hour " gets all of nowhere QRM by 20 over 9 signal.
    Just because YOU can hear the " QRM " does not mean HE can hear you , duh!
    Shirley

12. VA7JY

VA7JY Ham Member QRZ Page

If you move to 30 , 17 , and 12 meters , there is NO contesting on those ham bands . Put some antennas up and be happy again !

KJ3N likes this.
  13. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

You're missing the point that contest haters just want to post about contests they hate. It's NOT about them actually OPERATING ON THE AIR.

Note that there are virtually ZERO contest hate threads during a CW contest.... gee - I wonder why :)

Dave
    W7UUU

N7CPM and KC9UDX like this.
  14. K5TRI

K5TRI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

[​IMG]

15. W7UUU

Not EVEN gonna ask where you got that animated GIF image :D:D

Dave
    W7UUU

[PS - since it's you posting, when was the last time you saw a thread about a VHF contest? Especially SSB and CW!!! LOL!!! That will be one weird day when a thread appears saying "Tried to talk about my goiter on 2m AND 6m CW and all I got was 599, 599, 599 in my year!! :)]