ad: TinyPaddle-1

Amateur Radio Superstation - K3LR

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Jul 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. VE6AMR

VE6AMR Ham Member QRZ Page

N7WR - Then I thought about my priorities and decided spending a lot of $$$ on a station that due to location would never be the #1 scoring station in the USA simply made no sense.

Someone I agree with! I'm not a rag chewer, bores me silly. There is no way for me to contest anymore as I cannot travel to the local club station, I don't drive. The club station is over two hours away by transit and a thirty minute walk. My GF has a new pacemaker and says I cannot have a station at home as it may cause problems with her pacemaker. The pacemaker company says this isn't so but she hates Ham Radio with a passion and considers any hobby that doesn't make money as a waste of time, which is all the excuse she needs. I'm 68 now and won't live to see another sunspot peak, so hanging it up is the only thing left. As I said eaelier, but spelled it wrong, Fifty one years wasted on a pipe dream.

2. K7JBQ

K7JBQ Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

AMR,

You need a new GF.

Bill

W8UA likes this.
  3. VE6AMR

VE6AMR Ham Member QRZ Page

Weve been together over 15 years and own our home jointly, if I were to split I'd be on the street; so thats not realistic.

W8UA likes this.
  4. KG7ALV

KG7ALV Ham Member QRZ Page

If you ever need an apprentice let me know. I would probably learn more in one day there than I have learned. It puts me in awe!

5. WB9MSM

WB9MSM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you for sharing this excellent article with the world on QRZ.com. I really must confess that my Mosley Classic 33 tri-band beam works great for me. I can not even imagine what it would be like to get on the air with the antennas pictured at the K3LR location. Really, really a nice station!!!

Denny
    WB9MSM

Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
  6. WB9MSM

WB9MSM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I am going to have to one day see the W0AIH antenna farm in Eau Claire, WI. I heard that is really a site to see!!!

Denny
    WB9MSM

7. KC3BER

KC3BER Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow! Amazing! That is a LOT of work. Beautiful station.

8. W9EBE

W9EBE Subscriber QRZ Page

To say that Tim’s station is “impressive” is an understatement!

For 44 years, I’ve been a dyed-in-the-wool CW ragchewer. On contest weekends, you’ll find me somewhere between 7100 and 7125 kHz, or on 30 meters. I may work a few state sponsored QSO parties every few years for grins, but when it comes to contesting, that’s it.

But, I love contesting! Why? Because it fills up the bands with folks having fun. I hope that when some commissioner or legislator chooses to listen to the ham bands to find out what’s going on, he/she will do it on a contest weekend.

I recently discovered what a “CW skimmer” is, thanks to another thread here on The Zed. Now I can’t stop thinking about how cool it would be to have the logging software (I still keep a paper log), CW skimmer thingy, computerized rig control, etc. for such a technologically advanced, single-op contest station.

This visit to K3LR’s amazing station just further fans the flame of interest in such a thing. Thanks a lot, Fred, hi hi.

As an aside, not long ago I ordered something from DX Engineering. After ordering, I realized I’d made a boneheaded mistake and ordered the wrong item. When I called DXE, the person with whom I spoke was understanding and friendly; very willing to correct my blunder without a hint of his likely assumption that I was an idiot.

Shipping was lightning fast, and shortly after I received my order, I got a follow-up email inquiring about my overall impression with my dealings with DXE. In a word: SUPERB.

Later, a pretty neato catalog arrived in the mail. Just like AES used to send out. Maybe DXE will be the new AES?

Anyway, it is obvious that K3LR is doing something right on a number of fronts. I wish you much success, Tim! Now, please tell me how to hook up all that new-fangled contesting technology to my Ten-Tec Jupiter. By me doing so, I would likely become somewhat of a weekend warrior, too. But on a much smaller scale…

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:OfficeDocumentSettings> <o:AllowPNG/> </o:OfficeDocumentSettings> </xml><![endif]--> I’ll blame you, Tim and Fred, and QRZ in general for planting the contesting seeds of interest in this old ragchewer’s head. If I do turn my meager station into some sort of little whiz-bang weekend contest operation, I’ll point the finger of blame squarely at you guys. Be warned: my XYL can be a force to be reckoned with!

9. N2ADV

N2ADV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I hate the DXE catalog not really... Well, my wallet hates it, at least! :) :)

10. KC8YHW

KC8YHW Ham Member QRZ Page

Antenna Farms Ahh yess. My wife claimns we do not have the correct soil, our Corn barely grows.

I live on a hill top and we get vicious winds, I try to stay under 10 meters high.

How ever I have worked Ivor Greenwood GI0AIJ several times he has a neat set-up.

11. N5PP

N5PP Ham Member QRZ Page

Double Wow! n5pp

12. KB3UWC

KB3UWC Ham Member QRZ Page

A few things Tim told us when we toured the station. When operating all bands, in a contest, they are drawing 21 kw of electric! He was talking about adding a generator, so they could keep running in the event of a power failure. The towers were all purchased used. the guy wires on the tower are fiberglass rods that change to steel cable at ground level.

To help keep the peace with neighbors. He has made a community veggy garden and compost pile. Once a year he has a big neighborhood party.

Steve KB3UWC

13. WH6H

WH6H Ham Member QRZ Page

The real Voice of America !! Awesome is an understatement.

Stu
    WH6H

14. AA7EJ

AA7EJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Impressive – yes, definitely. Nice too.
    Envious? Nope.

Overkill?
    Reminded me of an exchange between stations in NA and an African bush I overheard recently :

“rig here is 800 W with 5 over 5 over 5 Yagis...”
    ….
    “ my antenna...dipole... 50 Watts...”

Guess who was where.

Any real antenna farmer knows if these antennas survived winter they are not big enough.

73 Shirley ..._._ ..

15. N3OJB

N3OJB Ham Member QRZ Page

Im going broke just trying to get a hexbeam up.. I cant even imagine a setup like that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.