ad: Radclub22-1

Amateur Radio Superstation - K3LR

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Jul 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. K9JLS

K9JLS Ham Member QRZ Page

I drove by this place on my way to the ARRL Centennial Conference in Hartford CT 3 weeks ago! I had stopped in the rest area right next to his house and as I pulled out I noticed all of the antennas and cursed because I was in the wrong lane to stop and pull over for a picture...sigh. Truly a very impressive sight. Thank you for the great write up!

KC9RNK likes this.
  2. N2ADV

N2ADV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Pure freaking awesome.

3. AA7EJ

AA7EJ Ham Member QRZ Page

OT question to mechanical engineers.
    Why are some tower bases "triangular" and some "pointed"?
    Or is is for electrical reason such as using the tower as radiator?

And locals are always telling me that "everything " is bigger in TX! HI HI HI

73 Shirley

4. N4BCD

N4BCD Ham Member QRZ Page

During a July visit to family in PA, my wife Julie KK4CLG and I took a short detour to see this. Julie insisted we knock on the door and Tim welcomed us and insisted on showing us the inside. It was the weekend preceding WRTC so also met DL1QQ shaking down her station that was set up in the upstairs dining room. Awesome place. Great host. Wish we lived closer. Mark N4BCD

5. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank You Fred, this is impressive.

6. SV8LMM

SV8LMM Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the nice presentation AA7BQ.
    I always wonder how I hear the signal from the K3LR 9 + plus 10 db or more.
    Congratulations Tim.
    :D

7. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

If U hear me, I will be 120db down from them!
    Oh by the way, could U relay to Monk Apollo that WEST COAST needs him badly!!!

8. N2SR

N2SR Ham Member QRZ Page

I've met Tim many times at Dayton. Definitely a nice guy. Never operated there.

Minor corrections: There are 3 "premier" multi-multi stations in the USA. K3LR, W3LPL, KC1XX. Tim will probably tell you that everyone who competes in M/M has a chance to beat K3LR. There are others that also compete in M/M class. There are others that used to compete in M/M class. All have beaten K3LR in a contest. There are also several other stations in the world that have much more hardware in the air.

A "102 foot" 80m dipole is not full size.

9. SV8LMM

SV8LMM Ham Member QRZ Page

and my signals are the same as yours, will retransmit the desire to SV2ASP (Monk Apollo) has just heard him.

10. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder QRZ HQ Staff QRZ Page

Thanks for the info on the other stations. We'll see if they would like us to visit!

Yes, technically speaking, 102 feet isn't half of 80 meters. I was simply letting my enthusiasm stray from the facts, which should never be allowed to get in the way of a good story! How many 102 foot dipoles have you seen, lately? It was still awe-inspiring.

-fred

11. K8UDZ

K8UDZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Truly impressive and inspirational. It's amazing how this hobby can encompass everything from a Rockmite and bit of wire to a super-station like K3LR. Thanks for sharing!

12. W5BRM

W5BRM Ham Member QRZ Page

Hmm wonder if i could hook up a tuna tin ii to a 24 element array and get a good sig rpt... Lol. Would be intersting to use a $1m antenna system on a $7 radio

13. KB7AA

KB7AA Ham Member QRZ Page

WOWWWWWWWW!! Just plain WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. K8GL

K8GL Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the tour! I had the honor to be one of the operators 1996-2011. Tim not only had a top notch set up but was also the most gracious host and a great team builder. We can learn much from his station and his ability to scrounge parts and pieces.

Of course I also remember when he put too much soap in the dishwasher and had suds all over the kitchen floor.

Greg K8GL

15. N2SR

N2SR Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually 3. :p I helped install 2 of them. Helped take one down, and put back up. Also helped install a 3 element 80 (was on the tower for 8 hours on that one).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.