ad: cq2k-1

QRZ Announces Secondary Callsign and LoTW Support

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, May 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder QRZ HQ Staff QRZ Page

It's that time of year and we're very pleased to announce some very significant new features for our QRZ users.

We have major new developments in our callsign database, and our online logbook.

The big announcement for our callsign database is that we now fully support secondary callsigns. A secondary callsign is one which includes a slash plus a modifier as either a prefix or a suffix to the primary call. This feature is available to all QRZ users and can be accessed by simply editing your callsign, or by using the My Account choice from the main QRZ menu, located under your callsign at the top right of the page.

With secondary callsigns, you can now create a special page for your QRP operations, for example, or a special page for your repeater, or other unique operation. This means that calls like AA7BQ/QRP, AA7BQ/R, AA7BQ/MM are now fully supported and each gets its own QRZ page. These calls are grafted onto your primary call in such a manner that your subscriber status follows with the secondary callsign. In addition, on the Detail tab of each page, there is a "See Also" listing that shows which other callsigns are related to the same primary call.

Basically, if you've enjoyed your QRZ page and would like to create a second specialty page for yourself, you can do it right now. These pages offer the same, full functionality as our regular callsign pages.

In addition, we also support DX prefixes and suffixes such as AA7BQ/VP2 or YU3/AA7BQ. Any combination will work, and, the server is capable of finding your slashed call, even if the prefix/suffix is reversed! Also, unlike primary calls, secondary callsigns may be deleted by their owners at any time.

Direct linking to these new QRZ pages is easy too. For example, to link to AA7BQ/QRP you can use the link:

http://www.qrz.com/db/aa7bq/qrp

Our next big announcement concerns our online logbook. Many, many folks have asked us for LoTW integration and we're pleased to announce that this is now available to all Logbook subscribers. This means that if you're an LoTW user, you can push your QRZ logs directly to LoTW with just a couple of clicks of the mouse. The logbook offers options to send individual QSO's, lists of QSO's, or even your entire logbook directly to LoTW. We have created a configuration page which allows you to import your LoTW certificate into QRZ so that we can sign and send the logs on your behalf.

Once uploaded, your QSO's in the QRZ logbook will be shaded with a green background, indicating that they have been sent.

We also have a Quick Start Guide for QRZ LoTW operations available at:

http://files.qrz.com/static/qrz/lotw_cert_guide.pdf

Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2014
  2. W0IW

W0IW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Sweet

Qrz
    That's awesome ...!!!

joe
    w0iw

Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2014
  3. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

I love good news! Thanks. :)

4. N6KZB

N6KZB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Both additions needed and thanks !! :cool:

5. AI6KU

AI6KU Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This is really great! Thank you! KK6FXV

6. K6DWG

K6DWG Ham Member QRZ Page

Wonderful as well as long past due and very much needed additions!!! Awesome job!

7. W0ULF

W0ULF Ham Member QRZ Page

That is... supremely awesome. Thanks Fred, for all you and your team do here!

8. K7IUQ

K7IUQ Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks, Now all I have to figure out is how to use LOTW, which has escaped my mind so far. :confused:

9. NA4RA

NA4RA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you Fred for all your hard work. The QRZ.com site looks fantastic with all the improvements! 73.

10. KK2DOG

KK2DOG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

FINALLY... a REAL test for hams. Ya, you might be able to tap-out 50wpm, but now let's watch you complain that you can't figure out how the heck to use this LoTW thingy because it's too complicated. Of course feel-free to bash the ARRL for making things 'too hard' on their end as well simply because YOU can't figure it out. Good job Fred.

KK2DOG in the REAL upstate New York
    Grid: FN24

11. W2TMD

W2TMD Ham Member QRZ Page

How Long does it take for the key to be stored. I stored the lic key but it doesn't show. No password was used.

12. G3SQU

G3SQU Ham Member QRZ Page

This is great for my /P within UK and my non-UK DXCC operations, but as a G call (G3SQU, England) I can't figure out how to deal with my operations in Scotland using my GM call (GM3SQU/A or /P), which is a separate DXCC entity though operating under the same licence. UK licensing regulations presently and for many, many years have stated that within the UK the appropriate prefix (G, GI, GM, GW etc) is to be used for the station callsign according to the country of operation - the rest of the callsign (e.g. 3SQU in my case) is always unique to the individual licensee so there is no opportunity for duplication between the countries. This means that the legal requirement is that I use callsign G3SQU at my officially registered UK address (which is where I live, in England) and G3SQU/A or /P when not operating from my official address in England, and GM3SQU/A or /P when in Scotland (not GM/G3SQU or G3SQU/GM). The same applies should I operate in Northern Ireland (GI) and Wales (GW) and the rest of the UK. But QRZ does not allow me to enter GM3SQU as a separate account because only one account is permitted for any individual (I actually did create it because I couldn't figure out what else to do, but GM3SQU has now been closed by QRZ Admin). Having said all this, the licensing authority has just begun consultations which may lead to a change in the regulations, as will a 'Yes' vote for Scottish independence in the election this year! Can anyone advise on the QRZ solution to this problem?

13. KB3EJV

KB3EJV Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

TY for the latest additions!

14. N5GJQ

N5GJQ Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Great! Thanks, Fred--just eliminated an extra logging step to LoTW. QRZ is an outstanding tool for hams. Use it daily.

N5GJQ in Louisiana--Land of Mudbugs and Tabasco Sauce! :)

15. W3GI

W3GI Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Followed all of the steps, the setup page shows "We DO have a key on file for your LoTW account", but the setting page still shows LoTW Access Disabled.

Help....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.