ad: AbAuRe-1

DoD release Electromagnetic Spectrum Strategy

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by M5AKA, Feb 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. M5AKA

M5AKA Ham Member QRZ Page

On Thursday, February 20, the Department of Defense (DoD) announced the release of its Electromagnetic Spectrum Strategy (EMS) to increase available spectrum in order to meet growing demand from the commercial wireless industry.

The strategy follows the release of a memorandum issued in 2010 by President Obama titled “Unleashing the Wireless Broadband Revolution,” which requires 500 MHz of spectrum be made available for commercial use by 2020.

Amateur UHF and Microwave spectrum is shared with DoD. The release of 500 MHz may result in more intensive use by the DoD of the remaining shared spectrum.

DoD Electromagnetic Spectrum Strategy document
    http://www.defense.gov/news/dodspectrumstrategy.pdf

DoD Announcement http://www.defense.gov/releases/release.aspx?releaseid=16547

The UK has already been through this process. Some of the impact on the Amateur Services can be seen at
    http://amsat-uk.org/2014/02/19/ofcom-coexistance-issues-for-2300-and-3400-mhz-bands/

----
    73 Trevor M5AKA
    AMSAT-UK
    Website http://amsat-uk.org/
    Facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/AMSAT-UK/208113275898396
    Twitter https://twitter.com/AMSAT_UK
    ----

2. WA8ZYT

WA8ZYT Ham Member QRZ Page

2500 to 3000 Mhz. There is your 500 Mhz. No high priced consulatant needed. Done! Your welcome!

3. KE5EUA

KE5EUA Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

All this talk about losing spectrum makes me wonder a little. There is a reason fire / police services moved from low band to 800 then 700. Wireless is in the GHz range for a reason, could you imagine wifi being in the 100 mhz area, you wouldn't get a few feet from your router.

Also look at the cell service, started in VHF/UHF, went to 800-900 GSM and now in ghz on other types of modes to allow more users per channel. Yes some countries still utilize 900 and it works for them.

Personally I believe further wireless will be in the ghz area, and public safety capitalizing on the 700-900 mhz area.

DoD already has hf, vhf/uhf spectrum that is hardly used anyway. Most bases in the US are on shared systems with the state for on base communications. The sincgars use 30-88 mhz frequency hopping so we don't have to worry about that except for the occasional times they go single channel in the 50-54 range, which I have had to complain about in the Fort Hood area. HF is used mainly overseas and most operators don't know how to use it so they give up on the ALE.

275 MHz additional for wireless broadband, are we expanding to 100+ wireless channels, that is going to make it much harder for me to sniff when I have to do pen tests.

For wireless, let's go spread spectrum frequency hopping with your hop based off your ssid so everyone has a unique hop with minimal overlaps so we can still utilize the spectrum we already have with a greater demand.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  4. W6RZ

W6RZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

2495 to 2690 MHz is already allocated to Sprint/Clearwire.

5. N1RKW

N1RKW Ham Member QRZ Page

Why is the DoD concerned with commercial use of the spectrum anyway?

Am I the only one who thinks they need to start minding their own business (for once)?

6. W5LMM

W5LMM Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Almost as bad as the stupid idea of putting the FCC under the Dept of Commerce.

7. M5AKA

M5AKA Ham Member QRZ Page

Because it's the DoD's spectrum (some of it currently shared with amateurs) that will be sold off by Government to commercial enterprises (4G cellphone etc)

73 Trevor M5AKA

8. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Go back to the first post. Pres. Obama directed them to do so. And BTW, other governments are doing the exact same thing.

9. K5CO

K5CO Ham Member QRZ Page

IF the U.S. government will allow illegals to stream across our borders by the millions and over many years, why should we feel obligated to follow law when using the spectrum? Chaos seems to be acceptable to our government and if they don't enforce order in one area, perhaps they should see what it is like for other areas to follow suite.

10. KH6DC

KH6DC Ham Member QRZ Page

The same thing why through an executive order, we have to allow cellphone companies (Verizon, AT&T, etc..) to put cell towers on Army Installations for little or no rent, i.e. for free while they rake in billions in profit at taxpayer's expense.

11. KD8TJB

KD8TJB Ham Member QRZ Page

I got an idea...let 'em take 26-28 mhz back...they can have more spectrum, and might actually try to clean it up then :)

12. N2OBM

N2OBM Ham Member QRZ Page

Trevor,

Your interest in US spectrum issues raises my interest. WTH?

Mike (EUA),

What are you sniffing? sniffing for? Are you a 25E? 25B?

W6RZ,

I wish it would have been that simple. 'They' have specific bands/ sub-bands in mind based on propagation/ future use.

N1RKW,

Really? Go read the Redbook.

W5LMM,

History...but a good point. Where should the FCC and NTIA be aligned? Merged? We spectrum managers (yes there is a job for that; aren't I lucky?) just had a discussion on this. I would love to hear your suggestion(s).

K5CO,

The non-lethal RF based devices come to mind for border use. RF heating human flesh, very effective. Guess what frequency?

DELWYN,

This is my current pain in the @#$. However, electromagnetic survey must be done. Second, a Commander can contest any proposed siting. In my unofficial opinion, this law was a mixed blessing. Clinton signed it and during previous spectrum auctions (Sprint/Verizon/Cell One and others building out 'the network')...paid down national debt. But makers of spectrum dependant devices will not pay premium prices anymore. They learned. Block D, no bids. Given to first reponders. FirstNet in the Jobs Creation Act....goatscrew to follow. No further comment until I retire.

This is a good topic....good job Trevor!

13. W6RZ

W6RZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Are you sure about that? 1.5 billion has been bid in the latest FCC auction (H block). It's only a 10 MHz block.

http://wireless.fcc.gov/auctions/default.htm?job=auction_summary&id=96

Click on the "View Auction Results" link to see the 1.5 billion number.

14. N2OBM

N2OBM Ham Member QRZ Page

Peanuts compared to the aggregate of auctions during the Clinton administration (or does it just seem like that due to the crazy trillion dollar spending now?). And part of the Reagan 'deregulation' helped this process. There are obvious 'prime' bands that will yield big bucks...especially if propagation/ adjacent use/ intended use are harmonized. 1.5 bil in to the Treasury, less 'costs' to pay for previous users re-location (dirty secret), any balance=peanuts.

Good observation though!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  15. KE5EUA

KE5EUA Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Once upon a time I was a 25B, I was also a, 45K (what I went in as.)

Regards to my comment about pen tests I was referring to my current job. When I have to test our network I will do penetration test against it if they expand wireless to over 100 frequencies then none of the exiting hardware would be compatible. I hope it is referring to services like clearwire and others.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.