ad: ProAudio-1

HRD Software, LLC celebrates 1 year anniversary

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by WJ6R, Oct 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KB3NPH

KB3NPH Ham Member QRZ Page

There have been many updates and improvements since HRD was taken over by Ham Radio Deluxe LLC. The major improvement was moving from an antiquated programming environment to the more modern VS2010 environment. People have been running into problems with the FREE version of HRD do to the fact there are many using USB/RS232 adapters with the Prolific chip-sets in them. These chip-sets will work just fine even with SOME ham radio software, even older versions of Ham Radio Deluxe. It's been found that once those having problems with HRD have switched over to cables and adapters with the FTDI chip-sets, or installed true RS232 cards in their computers they no longer have problems with current versions of Ham Radio Deluxe. This could be one of the problems you are facing.

Simon Brown, the original author of HRD is still involved with HRD on a very limited basis but has recently commented that V5.24.0.36 (the final FREE version) is the most reliable and stable version ever developed.

If you are having problems other than the interfacing, logging into the Ham Radio Deluxe forums can provide you with a wealth of information on solving other configuration problems with the new software. There have been so many new features added and so many things fixed that didn't work in previous versions, going back to Simon's last version 5.0, it takes some time to get up to speed on the set-up and configuration. Here's where the HRD Forums can come to be very informative.

If you are one of the ones who has taken advantage of the pre-lease price for Version 6, you have a year of technical support via phone and e-mail. Rick and the support guys are willing to go as far as needed to make sure they get your copy of HRD up and running and help you with any problems you might have. The investment in the support is well worth the price and your getting version 6 for free and a full year of support for version 6 from the date of it's release.

If you need help, it's available. If you want to whine about Ham Radio Deluxe not working for you, then that's fine too, but just remember, the bitching, pissing and moaning isn't going to get anything working.

73, Tim (KB3NPH)
    HRD Beta Test Team

2. KB3NPH

The most recent country and unique call files are available for download from http://hrdsoftwarellc.com/downloads/default.html
    Just download them and install them in the proper HRD directories.

73 Tim (KB3NPH)
    HRD Beta Test Team

3. KB3NPH

Would you mind telling me how you have tried to get help with the problems with HRD?

4. KF6ABU

KF6ABU Ham Member QRZ Page

Updated Country List April 1, 2012
    Updated Unique Callsign Database April 10, 2012

That may be the most recent, but thats not recent, by a long stretch. Are you guys no longer updating the Country and Unique files? Is there a new feature in #6 that does away with this that people will have to pay for?

5. KB3NPH

These database are user updatable. Go to the countries menu in logbook and pick manager. The user can update 'their' logbook manually, which is what most users prefer to do, since they get updates daily from products like the Daily DX.

The ones from the HRD site have always been on a volunteer basis, which started back in the Simon days.

Would you like to volunteer to keep them current?

73 Tim (KB3NPH)

6. W4PG

W4PG QRZ Lifetime Member #279 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

The problem with modern technology is there are many variables that can cause issues. I am running HRD with Windows 7 64 bit and it runs just fine. I *did* have a problem once where HRD locked up and did silly things. Problem was fixed when I updated Windows. It had nothing to do with HRD - Nothing at all.

There are many issues with bad chipset drivers with USB to Com port cables, hardware issues with TNCs that just don't do what they should, etc etc. To blame HRD for these issues is shortsighted, but I understand the frustration.

I have no problem with HRD. It works great for me controlling my radio, my rotor and interfacing with my SteppIR antenna. Yet getting all this hardware and software to work together can be a challenge.

...............Bob

7. KF6ABU

Would they like to volunteer their product and services for free?

Are you guys no longer updating it or is it going to be updated in another way in the pay version?

8. W4PG

W4PG QRZ Lifetime Member #279 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Tim this is an issue for the new folks to deal with.

As you very well know, the public country file was very frequently updated by someone who no longer does that, again for various reasons. I have also noted that that file goes for extended periods without being updated. I do update my private country file based on information from various DX sources, and it works well.

But the fact remains that the country database file is updated on a regular basis for many software programs, but apparently not for HRD. I'm hopeful that the HRD team will work out this "bug" and have regular updates as used to be the case.

.............Bob

9. KB3NPH

Version 5.24.0.36 was the final FREE version. It is supported and updated frequently for those who purchased the support. Do you know of any other commercial software company who provides FREE software? Do you work for FREE? I'm sure you don't. I'm sure you want to get paid for the work you do so you can feed your family. If you expect something for free, go to the local soup kitchen, they will give you a free soup. Want a steak dinner, go to a real restaurant and you will pay for it.

10. KB3NPH

Hi Bob,
    When Simon was still working with HRD there was someone who donated his time to update these files on a regular basis, from what I understand. At present time, there are 4 guys who own Ham Radio Deluxe LLC. They have spent many hours working bugs out of Simon's original code to be able to put out the final FREE version as bug free as possible. Since that version they have been working almost round the clock on Version 6. There are so many improvements and new features they are trying to add to the suite and it is very time consuming. There are somewhere around 50+ beta testers all around the world who testing new features, making bug reports, sending them in, getting updates almost on a daily basis to test and report on. These beta testers are all volunteers who want to see HRD to be the best Ham Software available and make sure it is going to be virtually bug free when it's released. I'm sure Rick and the guys would welcome someone who would be willing to take a few minutes or so a day to keep the country and unique call databases up to date, but so far no takers, that's why they have put the manager in there for the user to update the files manually when necessary. Sometimes the operator DOES have to take the steps to update some things, just as your doing, but there are those few who want everything canned and ready to plug-and-play without any intervention by the operator.

Hopefully someday HRD Software will be able to pay enough employees to do these small jobs. Until that day comes their hoping people will understand, be patient and do what they need to do on their part to help out.

On a high note, since I've already seen a few of the things coming in Version 6, I can honestly say when it's released and people see the improvements and features and the support that will be available, they will be burning up the internet ordering their copies of Ham Radio Deluxe V6.0. It's a shame they don't take advantage of the current offers available at discounted prices.

73 de Tim (KB3NPH)
    HRD Beta Test Team

11. AC2FO

AC2FO Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello Bob, My Computer is new and has latest windows update, on the occasional time I am able to get HRD up and running it last 30 seconds then I get a black screen and my computer reboots. That tells me the port saw the radio and everything in between works up until the software has a issue with something. I D/L TRX Manager and have no issue running that, problem is I used HRD for many many years not a novice at it, looking at the amount of free releases should tell you they have something screwed up. How could someone want me to spend money for a paid version that was supposed to be released long ago while the free versions keep melting down. And trust me I want to give them the $69.00 for it I like it that much.

12. AC2FO

AC2FO Ham Member QRZ Page

Tim, Great sales pitch but what about the multitudes who cant get the free version to work after using HRD since the beginning are we supposed to pay and cross our fingers the paid verson works?

13. WA4OTD

WA4OTD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've had problems with lock-up and being very slow on many actions, for example refresh awards, or even adding contact takes much more time than in the past.

Still great program, but never had an issue with any of Simon's releases.

14. KF6ABU

The country files and unique calls used to be free, as was the whole product. I just wanted to know if they will continue to update the country file for free like it used to be. Then he asked me if i wanted to donate my time to a company that's for profit. Why would I do that? When it was free people donated their time. Now that its for profit why would they do that? So they can make more money off them? Get real. Just about every other product like HRD, including the free ones update these things for free. I have not really gotten an answer either way other then someone asking me to volunteer my time for a compnay to make money off me. Maybe someone who knows something will chime in. Of course I can do it myself, it's not hard. I just wanted to know HRD's position on it. It's hard getting an accurate answer.

15. KB3NPH

I don't happen to be a salesman and I have nothing to gain as being one for HRD. There certainly ARE NOT multitudes who can't get the FREE version working. Ones who have problems and seek help get help and get their version up and running. You and I both know you have NEVER even tried, either that or you are just one of the few who likes to complain about everything. I checked the support forums, which by the way as YOU know, is where you go for FREE help for the FREE version and you have entered one message on August 17th about a "SMALL LOGBOOK GLITCH" is the way you put it and someone responded and told you exactly what was going on. There are no other help requests from you going back when the forums were set up, shortly after Simon started the HRD project.

Like I said before, 99% of the problems people have had with the FREE version of HRD has been solved and solutions are available for those who look for them. That small 1% of minor bugs that weren't solved are being addressed in Version 6.

Again, there's an old saying, you can take a horse to water but you can't make him drink. In this respect, we can tell you what your problem is and how to solve it, but if you don't want to take the steps we suggest, then you have no reason to criticize the software or the developers, unless your just one of the few who isn't happy unless your complaining about something.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.