ad: UR5CDX-1

‘When All Else Fails’: Hams prepare for emergencies during Field Day 2012

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WJ4U, Jun 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

ham_radio_5a_thumb.jpg

Times-Mirror Staff Photo/Michelle Stevens
    Gene May of the Loudoun Amateur Radio Group writes down the call sign of another amateur “ham” radio operator for a 24-hour contest called Ham Radio Field Day in Lovettsville June 24.
    Tue., Jun. 26 by Alicia Constant

Voices and static mingled on the airwaves as amateur radio operators baked in the heat Saturday. “QR-Zed.” “Kilo Echo Four, Oscar Kilo Yankee.” “Oscar Kilo Yankee?” With contact established, the Lovettsville radio operator repeats the full call sign to the voice that originates from a Canadian boat.

The operator made contact as part of Field Day, a 24-hour contest where thousands of amateur radio operators, called “hams,” practice communicating off the grid with other hams in the United States and Canada. Around 60 hams in Loudoun County participated in two Field Day events, one at Park View High School in Sterling and the other in Lovettsville.

On Field Day, each amateur radio club attempts to earn points by making contacts and logging “call signs” – the unique letter and number code the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) licenses to each ham radio operator.

The Loudoun Amateur Radio Group (LARG) in Lovettsville made nearly 4,500 contacts, and the Sterling Park Amateur Radio Club made around 2,000 contacts as radio operators worked in shifts through Saturday night into Sunday afternoon. The groups’ more unusual contacts included a 737 pilot over Utah and a ham in Puerto Rico.

Using ham radio satellites, a signal from Loudoun County can reach a radius of more than 1,000 miles. The hallmark achievement: making contact with the International Space Station, where many of the astronauts are also ham radio operators.

In an era of Facebook, cell phones and Skype, ham radio is a little-known form of communication. Yet hams pride themselves on being the first to contact the outside world after a large-scale natural disaster that knocks out the Internet and cell phone towers. Field Day allows hams to practice setting up their stations on solar, generator, and battery power. The National Association for Amateur Radio proudly asserts that amateur radio gets the message through “when all else fails.”

Ham radio attracts a fiercely loyal following, with around 700,000 operators across the country and 3 million around the world.

“Everyone’s experience getting into ham radio is different,” said Chris P., a ham who participated in the LARG Field Day event. (He requested his last name be withheld because he works for the federal government.)

Chris is proud to carry his great-grandfather’s call sign, though he says interest in ham radio “skipped two generations” in his family. He first became a ham in high school, when he got his license through the Boy Scouts.

When he was deployed overseas during the 1990s, he would travel to a Military Auxiliary Radio Service (MARS) station to call home. The MARS operator would radio a ham in his hometown and ask him to connect Chris to his family via telephone: “This was before the days of video chat, and you’d call up for about five minutes and say, ‘Hey, Mom, guess where I am?’”

Several years ago, he decided to get re-certified as a ham operator, and he’s been involved ever since.

Through the course of a year, hams participate in a variety of events, from launching and chasing weather balloons to volunteering as trained weather spotters for the National Weather Service’s Skywarn.

Hams provide vital information to Skywarn because they’re able to communicate directly from the ground, said LARG Field Day Chairman Gary Quinn: “When a ham operator can look out the window and call the weather service and say, ‘Yes that’s a tornado,’ it validates their data.”

When a disaster strikes, Quinn said, “We know before the general public. We’re the ones pushing out the information.”

http://www.loudountimes.com/index.p...perators_prepare_for_emergencies_during_2012/

2. KK7JWQ

KK7JWQ Ham Member QRZ Page

3. W0DLR

W0DLR Ham Member QRZ Page

The midwest is on fire, and I have yet to see anything about Amateur Radio to the rescue. Nothing on the ARRL website other than how to become a ham or now to subscribe to QST.

Where is this radio service that always toots it own horn?

4. KK7JWQ

KK7JWQ Ham Member QRZ Page

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_20852619

It's there, it is just in the background.

5. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

That reminds me, I better go water at least some of my lawn. It's getting crunchy.

6. LA9XSA

LA9XSA Ham Member QRZ Page

A good article - it touches many bases. A non-technical reader might be forgiven for thinking that long-range communications requires the use of a satellite though.

A 737 huh - I haven't had any aeronautical mobile contacts yet. I want to have some. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.