ad: M2Ant-1

7O6T - Yemen Approved For DXCC Credit

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by WA6ITF, May 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KF7PCL

KF7PCL Ham Member QRZ Page

USA does have alot more hams which makes a difference.
    But overall unfortunately this is probably true (and wrong) considering ARRL is an American organization.

But PLEASE do not blame the operating team, it is not their choice.

2. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

That does it! I packing up all of my marbles, before I lose them, and going home!

3. KE4YOG

KE4YOG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree that Yemen should not have the restrictions that it does and I am split on the issue. Are there any other countries that forbid ham radio contact with another country? I am just wondering. We can go ahead and not count any mainly Islamic or Arab country that forbids its hams from contacting Israel. I am fairly new to being able to operate on bands that I would have to wonder about that.

4. W4PG

W4PG QRZ Lifetime Member #279 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

How odd that those who want ham radio free of political issues demand that the ARRL take a political stand on an issue that is simply a NON-issue to the Yemen government, which could not care less whether anyone chooses to work the expedition or not. The ARRL needs to stay OUT of this political mess and as long as the operators meet the requirements of the local government, it's good to go. I personally would find fault with the ARRL is they chose NOT to OK this expedition, as a ham radio organization has no business telling any country how to run its business.

We are a HOBBY for Christ's sake and we work the folks when we can. That a group of hams were able to even get permission to operate from where they are and faced serious issues with pirates in the area and STILL made the effort is quite remarkable.

Yet some folks want to punish the operators for the guidelines that the government set up? Seems pretty short sighted to me . . .

5. KF7PCL

Thank you!

6. W2MFT/SK2023

W2MFT/SK2023 Ham Member QRZ Page

It was their choice to stay and operate now wasn't it!

7. W2MFT/SK2023

W2MFT/SK2023 Ham Member QRZ Page

And Yemen is our friend right???

Todays lead AP story
    ..."AP May 7, 2012 3:32PM WASHINGTON (AP) - The CIA thwarted an ambitious plot by al-Qaida's affiliate in Yemen to destroy a US-bound airliner using a bomb with a sophisticated new design around the one-year anniversary of the killing of Osama bin Laden"...But its not political...

Hey..I'm just saying...

8. N6OIL

N6OIL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

7O6T isn't real! Can't here them on 10m in SoCal! Just saying.

9. NN3W

NN3W Ham Member QRZ Page

Hate to say it, but the Yemeni government is perfectly within its right to forbid communications with any country it wants to forbid communications with...

ITU Regulations
    Art. XXV, Sec. I

25.1 Radio communications between amateur stations different countries shall be forbidden if the administration of one of the countries concerned has notified that it objects to such radio communications...

IIRC, this rule applied to the United States from certain countries back in the 1960s. </SPAN>

10. KC9LGW

KC9LGW Ham Member QRZ Page

I disagree with your association to politics, were talking about game rules. In the context of DXCC and once again it is just a “game” lets maintain that focus. The rules of the game should be first and foremost fair to all of the players.

Any entity that prohibits or prevents any operator anywhere in the world from achieving points should not be on the list of available points. Its all about the game rules not a political statement. If the ARRL took Yemen or any other entity off the list because they (the entity) won’t allow full participation it is not telling them how to run their business. It is simply saying that those entities don’t meet the criteria for our “game”.

Once again it is about fair play, not politics. Playing a game (any game) should be about friendly competition and integrity to sportsmanship and fair play, and the rules should be designed around and focused on those qualities. Do you think Yemen will ever host the Olympics?

11. KC9LGW

KC9LGW Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes - Yemen is within it's rights to do as it pleases, that is not the issue. The issue is should the ARRL include them on the DXCC List, a totally different subject.

12. KF7PCL

I feel any entity with potential amateur radio operation should be on the DXCC list regardless. Even if that country only allows you to communicate with one other country.
    If the government isn't playing fair, its not ARRLs problem. Remember Israel is a very small fraction of the hams in the world. Even though it is not fair, sometimes you need to zoom out and look at the whole picture.
    Just an opinion.

13. K1DNR

K1DNR Ham Member QRZ Page

Amen, Shalom, Namaste and As-Salamu Alaykum

14. NN3W

NN3W Ham Member QRZ Page

Why should the ARRL interfere with the affairs of a foreign government? If we're going to play that game, ARRL should remove Mexico from the DXCC list because US amateurs can't go on contest operations or DXpeditions without an equal number of Mexican national hams.

15. K2HAT

K2HAT Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

My Opinion;
    If you are not happy with the way any DXpedition is run, or any Contest, Net, etc. Turn the dial on your radio,
    to another frequency, or turn the radio off.

If there is a program on TV I don't like, I change the channel, sometimes I turn it off. Simple enough. ;)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To the original reason for this post, 7O6T - Yemen Approved For DXCC Credit,
    WA6ITF; Thanks for the info.

73 K2HAT

Last edited: May 8, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.