ad: M2Ant-1

Is 7O6T operation legitimate?

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by 4X1UN, May 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. W5EW

W5EW Ham Member QRZ Page

Gentlemen, Please take the time to read the following posts by W3WN:
    34,69,70,106, and 146.

73s to All and to All Good DX,
    Ray W5EW

"Fair" is a word often used by those who have failed to find any other reasons to disagree!!!

2. N2RJ

N2RJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That would be a different story since the ARRL is a US organization and US hams have voting rights.

3. K2JK

K2JK Ham Member QRZ Page

The host country makes the rules, but that doesn't mean we have to be a party to hate policies.

I view this no differently as a contest with a rule that black countries from Africa couldn't be worked for credit. Would you look the other way at the rule also, and participate in the contest?

If Yemen says 7O6T can't work Israel, then I won't work 7O6T. To do otherwise means I give tacit approval to the policy of racial hatred.

Personally, if I were a member of the 7O6T team, I would pack my bags and leave.

4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

For one thing they probably would be ham-meragging money because they wouldn' see any from us;-)

Chip W1YW

5. KC2SIZ

KC2SIZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't doubt that there's a lot of anti-semitism in the Yemeni government, but I don't believe that Yemen's hostility toward Israel is ENTIRELY due to its having arbitrarily decided to hate Jews. That's absurd. And insofar as Yemen and Israel are at odds with one another politically, it's unreasonable to expect either of them to do anything that they perceive to run counter to their own best interest. If Yemen thinks that having hams communicate with Israeli hams is a security risk, do you honestly think they should permit such communications? Remember that the United States Congress suspended *all* amateur radio operations during the World Wars. Do you really think that was a mistake given the prevailing belief at the time that such operations posed a security risk?

6. K9ES

K9ES Ham Member QRZ Page

I think that every Jewish amateur who did have a QSO with 7O6T whould sign their QSL with "Am Yisroael Chai"

7. NT2X

NT2X Ham Member QRZ Page

This is a dangerous and unusual expedition. Soccotra island is a notable HQ for the Somali pirates in the region. The risk of being kidnapped there is very high.
    I have heard that 7O6T audio logs are being turned over to the authorities on a daily basis for review. There is real and present danger to the participants. All of these petty arguments are nothing compare to what they may have to endure. Let them do their job. Let them work the world. Let them address all of these flammable issues with the ham community when they are back in OUR world. Then have your arguments and talk about what is appropriate and not. Can you hear me, guys? Those of you who want to bring them down - shame on you. Tell it in their faces when you get a chance in Dayton. Not here, not now. Stop pushing for condemnation and punishment - let them have their day in the court of public opinion. You may actually hear something interesting. We only heard your voices, not theirs. So enough already, lets be adults and stop whining. The question of 7O6T legitimacy will be decided elsewhere when the time is right. Not here, not now. Dixi. 73, Ed/NT2X

8. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

Arabs are semites too. Who cares if they don't accept Israeli callsigns. Dragging politics and religion into the fray is stupid, and most of the basis for the anti-Arab hatred in the US is based on a distorted Evangelical belief not recognizing that Judaism is no more a valid faith to Christianity than Islam. Work them if you want, don't if you don't want to. If you contact a Cuban station does that mean you are accepting the Castro regime ? If you contact a Canadian station you are promoting socialized healthcare and anti-firearms policies? If you operate a US station, are you promoting the agenda of the present party of power? Idiotic and hypocritical of all who feel the need to condemn the Yemen team. We amateur operators all have the right to answer or not answer any callsign we want.

9. K8WHB

K8WHB Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree with you 100% - I will not work them either, for the same reason you gave, and as to your last line, it does not say much for the DXpedition participant's ethics or integrity that they didn't do exactly that (and I DO intent to say that to their faces in Dayton in two weeks as well as to their U.S. ham vendor supporter if he is at Dayton).

10. N6MEJ

N6MEJ Ham Member QRZ Page

My Sincere Apologies

To K2NCC and the Amateur Radio Community:

Yesterday I replied to a posting by K2NCC. My reply was was rude and uncalled for and for that I sincerely apologize to K2NCC personally and the amateur radio community as a whole.

73 All

Jerry/N6MEJ

11. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

that's not entirely true. If our licensing authority (whether the Yemeni government, or the U.S. government) decides we are NOT to contact stations from a certain country, then we must not, or put our license and ability to operate in jeopardy. That means you or I, or any Amateur doesn't have to right to answer any callsign we wish.

12. VA3TTU

VA3TTU Ham Member QRZ Page

This is what I mentioned in my post, #241, about the former USSR.
    But related question to World Ham Community: please raise your hand all those who did NOT work UA stations because of that.

Serge VA3TTU

13. W5LMM

W5LMM Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Look, it's unfortunate that the IDIOTS in the Yemeni Government are that SMALL and INSECURE as to order the guys (who are NOT from Yemen, but from everywhere) to not make any israeli contacts. But when you're on their soil, you have to obey their rules. It is my suspicion that a seperate log is being kept that will fix everything after they leave. Why boycott them? It's not their fault, and I think it will end up ok in the end.

14. K2NCC

K2NCC Ham Member QRZ Page

It takes quite a feat to come back and stand before a crowd and apologize.

Apology accepted (speaking for myself). I wasn't offended. Think nothing more of it.

15. WA8FOZ

WA8FOZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

• I am not Jewish.
    • I support the Jewish people, both in general and my many friends and colleagues. I may not support some of the opinions of some people who might be Jewish and/or Israeli.
    • I support Israel, and its right to exist forever in security. I may not support all the policies of any given Israeli government, especially if I believe they jeopardize the safety of Israel or any other nation. Or if they are just plain wrong. I also support the rights of other countries in the Middle east (and elsewhere).
    • I support the right of any government to limit the contacts of its amateurs, for whatever reason, however hateful or misguided. As Riley has repeatedly said, just because one has the right to do something does not make it the right thing to do.
    • I support the right of any organization, including the ARRL, to establish whatever criteria it wishes for its awards, however misguided they may be. I also support the right of amateurs to run their operations as they see fit, however misguided they may be.As Riley has repeatedly said, just because one has the right to do something does not make it the right thing to do. I would add that much of the trouble in this world is not caused by bad people but by people with good intentions doing bad things.
    All that said, here's how I see it: Don't work them (I won't). If anyone asks why not, politely tell them. This will do more good within amateur radio than anything else. In for the larger world, including the Yemeni government, there are other options. OSISI.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.