ad: ProAudio-1

Is 7O6T operation legitimate?

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by 4X1UN, May 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. NT2X

NT2X Ham Member QRZ Page

to 4X1UN: I know a little bit about what is going on (I know most of the Russian ops personally), and this is what I have to say: Non-standard situations like this one call for creative thinking. Being blunt and forthright isn't doing anyone any good. Even openly discussing it at this time, here, is not appropriate. And calling for ARRL wrath is not the best course of action, in my opinion. Yes, you have the right to be upset and insulted. But you have to make a clear choice - shut them down for good for working you (I'm certain their operation is being monitored by local authorities - one slip and it is over) or be creative and go about it your own way - I'm not telling you how and will not discuss it here. So, make up your mind - be indignant or have your cake and eat it too. The same goes to all those who scream on their frequencies and post insulting comments on packet. Just stop! This is no ordinary operation. You can ask your questions in Dayton, they are all going to be there when this is over. Scream a them there if you have to, not here! I'm also a friend, not a foe, when it comes to your country. So put on those headsets and figure out what to do next. Some of your friends already did. 73, Ed/NT2X

2. K2NCC

K2NCC Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry, doesn't fit. Now stop calling me a racist. Or if you must continue that rant path, do it off-thread in an email.

3. W3BC

W3BC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

When I was first licensed in 1966, the FCC published a "prohibited countries list" in part 97. The wording was rather curious, along the lines of, "The following countries prohibit their licensees from communicating with United States amateurs..."

It was a short list, and included North Vietnam, North Korea and Albanian SSR.

The ITU does not require equality, fairness or even an Amateur Radio service in any country. Each country's communications licensing authority has a sovereign right to permit and regulate amateur radio operations within its borders.

In the US in 1966, even though the FCC didn't prohibit me from transmitting, the government of North Vietnam prohibited its citizens from talking to me. The FCC regs warned me not to initiate communications with those countries, thus making the other governments the "bad guys."

The ARRL, as a US corporation with legal obligations, could not promote unlawful activity and so removed the "prohibited" countries from the DXCC list during the times those governments prohibited their citizens from communicating with the US.

My 13 year old mind pictured poor old Yorick in some dark radio cave in Albania pounding his key under the harsh light of a bare lightbulb, while a People's Army officer held a gun to his head, lest he talk with one of us dreaded Yankee Imperialists.

4. K0SAV

K0SAV Ham Member QRZ Page

You've already shown your true colors. No use backtracking now.

5. WA4HBK

WA4HBK Ham Member QRZ Page

Back in the late 70's early 80's Cuban stations weren't allowed to work KG4 (Guantanamo Bay) hams. We could work them but not the other way around. There was some interesting workarounds used. One being a station in the US passing a comment that the CO station was hearing me 5/9 and I would reply to the stateside station that I was hearing him 5/9 as well. Got a few cards that way. A lot of strange things happen with politics in communications. When I was in Tel Aviv to call Damascus in Syria the call was routed through an Italian carrier so the call appeared to originate from there.

6. K2NCC

Dude. Seriously. You don't know me well enough to say that. I don't have a problem with the Jewish people. Just Israel. That's all I'm getting into about it here.

7. K2NCC

Excellent level-headed post! Thanks Joe.

8. K1LWI

K1LWI Ham Member QRZ Page

Just thinking if one guys from usa was jew would send back home ?
    K1lwi wen

9. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Seriously? You're comparing a license restriction to the Holocaust? Seriously?

The fact of the matter is that many of the nation-states in that portion of the world remain technically in a state of war with Israel. As such, they do not permit their citizens, or those non-citizens operating from within their borders with their permission, to contact what are technically considered potential hostile or enemy combatants.

Demanding that the 7O6T operators break the law puts their own lives at serious risk, and puts at risk future operations.

And you want them to risk prison or worse over making a QSO?

Seriously?

10. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

The DXAC? What's that got to do with anything?

Look, I don't like the situation either. But the facts remain that:

(1) Yemen is a long standing DXCC entity

and therefore

(2) If the 7O6T meets the criteria set by the DXCC desk, under current rules, to satisfy the requirements that demonstrate they are legitimately operating with the approval of the sitting government (which you've just admitted is the case), then the operation will count for DXCC purposes.

If you don't like the fact that there are hostilities (to say the least) between various governments in the Middle East, and want to do something about it, fine. But this won't accomplish anything.

If you don't like the restrictions that the 7O6T ops have had imposed on them by the government, that's fine too. But don't blame them. If you don't like it, don't work them. There's plenty of other DX on the bands.

And if you don't like the nature of the DXCC rules when it comes to political... entanglements... like this, then write up a proposal on how you'd like the rules modified, and submit it. But until the rules are changed, IF they are changed, then deal with them as they are.

11. W2MFT/SK2023

W2MFT/SK2023 Ham Member QRZ Page

The point is that it all starts with small innocently seeming things...but many can't seem to distinguish that point and when people don't talk situations escalate. I have lived and worked in the Arab world so I know how they are...And yes this is how such terrible things begin...I am not saying that they should break the law...I am saying that people need to realize the consequences of their actions...Amateur Radio is supposed o promote peace and good will among peoples...Some how alienating any group to appease a government doesn't seem right.

12. 4X1ZQ

4X1ZQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Can you find any Israeli callsign in their onlinelog ?

No Radio Amateur should agree to operate in these terms that prevent him to have a legitimate QSO with another station because of a political reason.
    It's a shame that this behavior still exist.
    Everybody please do not forget - it is a hobby, which is supposed to be without any politics.
    The hunt for DX stations is a game with predefined rules.
    These rules has to be fair to all participants.
    Every DX entity which can not or would not play by these rules, has to be deleted from the awards application list.

We, the Israeli operators are proud with our 4X and 4Z prefix and we find no reason to hide it.
    This shame on our hobby must be stopped ... no conscientisou operator should ignore this bad behavior.

Avishay

13. K2ADK

K2ADK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

As Marx said (Groucho, not Karl), "I wouldn't belong to any club that would have me as a member." Likewise, I would not attempt to contact any country that refuses as a matter of state policy to allow communication with any other.

I am not a supporter of Israeli policy, nor am I a supporter of Yemeni policy, whatever that may be du jour. But I strongly support the internationalism inherent in amateur radio, and if Yemen were the last country in the world I needed to contact for the top prize in my hobby, I would happily return to ragchewing on 80 meters.

I don't think ARRL can do anything, but at least we can vote individually, and stay out of those stupid pile-ups. Hey, it has a bright side!

14. N4KLS

N4KLS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

No disrespect to the 7O6T team, but I cannot make this contact. I stand by and for Israel. When Yemen wishes to join the goodwill and spirit of amateur radio, and embrace contacts from all nations, I will afford my time and effort to make contact with them.

15. W3BC

W3BC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You mean you wouldn't attempt to contact stations in this country? :

47 CFR §97.117 International communications. -
    Transmissions to a different country, where permitted, shall be shall be limited to communications incidental to the purposes of the amateur service and to remarks of a personal character.

It implies that transmissions to a different country may or MAY NOT be permitted. The Code of Federal Regulations is certainly a "state policy." It goes further to severely limit what can be said to those countries we ARE permitted to communicate with. What this regulation gives us is a lot less than what it takes away.

According to a strict interpretation of §97.117, this entire thread would be prohibited in QSO with any non-US Amateur Radio Station. That is well within any reasonable interpretation of a "... country that refuses as a matter of state policy to allow communication..."

So does that mean you won't be contacting any more US stations?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.