ad: Radclub22-1

Is 7O6T operation legitimate?

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by 4X1UN, May 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. N8YX

N8YX Ham Member QRZ Page

I may or may not have worked RG8U once upon a time.

2. KK4XO

KK4XO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

When I operated /4X portable (mid-1970's) Israel had the same prohibition about contacting certain Arab countries. Has this regulation since been dropped then? This said, I agree that we should take the politics out of Ham Radio but it's ultimately up to the regulating authorities of each country and therein lies the problem.
    73 - Bill, KK4XO

3. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes!
    That (prohibition) was concurrent with the war in the Middle East.

4. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

So?

First, this has nothing to do with whether or not the operation is "legitimate." If they have a license from the Government of Yemen, as they say they do, they are legit.

Second... this is nothing new. It is a sad fact of life that certain countries do not permit Amateurs operating under their licenses to contact Amateurs operating out of selected other countries. The US does not currently have a "Banned Country" list, but it once did.

It should certainly be no secret that many nations in the Arab world do not, as a matter of politics and principle, permit their Amateurs to communicate with Israeli Amateurs. It's been going on for decades. And I believe that at one time, Israel had similar restrictions on which countries their own licensees could not communicate with.

There is no point in stirring the pot on this. This is a situation beyond the control of the 7O6T team. They are merely complying with the laws of the nation that granted their license, whether they agree with them or not.

Asking the ARRL, or other national and international Amateur societies, to exclude the 7O6T operation for awards credit is counter-productive. It will not help your situation. It will only hurt those who are trying to get a "new one". And it will actually mix politics & ham radio, which you said yourself is something you learned that you shouldn't do.

It's not going to happen. It's not their fault, it's not your fault, but don't blame the team for the conditions imposed on them by the government.

In short: Don't be meshugah.

5. KC0NYK

KC0NYK Ham Member QRZ Page

I happen to agree...and if I find myself looking to make contact with this station I will make sure not to complete the contact.

l Chiam

kc0nyk

6. K9PLG

K9PLG Ham Member QRZ Page

Well they KILLED our 40 meter OMISS net last night on 7.185 when all of a sudden people started calling Yemen because they were operating 7.180/7.185 split... We were about 15 minutes into the net when all heck broke loose and all we could hear was a pile-up of everyone attempting to call Yemen who had stated they were on 7.180 listening 5 up. They never bothered to check if 7.185 was in use before they started... We had to shut down the net as a result , we could not get them to move for over 5 minutes... by that time, everyone had given up... Very unfortunate situation.. We begged them to stop, but the requests seem to fall on deaf ears... Wish they would check both freq before they go split....

7. K0SAV

K0SAV Ham Member QRZ Page

Spoken like a true anti-semite.

8. VE3SKP

VE3SKP Ham Member QRZ Page

ve3skp
    the answer is yes he can be there
    you must rembber that usa can not be below
    14.150 as for many us ham that i hear on 14.145
    should not be there
    73 good d
    dx hunting

9. W5TFW

W5TFW Ham Member QRZ Page

GI4SZW

I JUST CHECKED there ONLINE LOG ! he is NOT in the LOG, you wanna borrow my Glasses ?

10. W2MFT/SK2023

W2MFT/SK2023 Ham Member QRZ Page

There is a point; By ignoring the situation you are implicitly condoning this conduct...This is what happened during the 2nd world war , cambodia, and countless other places on the globe. There is a moral imperative here, instead of just following orders...

11. N2RJ

N2RJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Unfortunately with DXpeditions and DXing, politics DO play into it.

And ARRL really has no control over what nation states allow or do not allow.

I really don't know why anyone is surprised about this. Some countries simply do not recognize Israel in any shape, way, form or fashion. If you travel to those countries with an israeli entry visa in your passport, you will likely be turned away. That in itself is sad, but ARRL has no power over this.

12. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

Albeit illegal, it would be interesting to make a contact with them and ask them to "correct" the call with a 4X prefix.

As to "this has nothing to do with whether or not the operation is "legitimate." If they have a license from the Government of Yemen, as they say they do, they are legit."

That has been stated already. What it has everything to do with is how or more importantly, if we support and encourage this behavior by the DXAC creating the incentive for people to go there with the anticipation of DXCC approval for their operation. Begs the question what is more important here.

13. K8WHB

K8WHB Ham Member QRZ Page

I heard that same commotion down below us on the Brothers Net on 7.191. I have nothing against contesters & DX chasers, but some of them qualify to have their picture placed next to the definition of LID.

As to Yemen. I'm not surprised in the least that the operation was told by the Yemen government not to contact hams in Israel. Yemen has an Islamist government that has a pathological hatred for Jews & Israel. Many Muslim governments have either an official or an "unofficial but well know by the locals" prohibition on contacting Israeli stations. A friend of mine in the USAF told me he was told when he was in Saudi Arabia that their military recreation station was not allowed to contact Israeli stations at the request of the Saudi government.

It is one thing to have a "banned" list that includes countries you are at war with (example: the US prohibition against the People's Republic of Vietnam AKA North Vietnam during the Vietnam War) but it is quite another thing to ban a country because of racial or ethnic hatred. In those sorts of cases (like what appears to be the case with Yemen & this expedition) the ARRL should disallow this expedition for DXCC or any other award credit. The ARRL should have no part in rewarding such behaviour by Yemen or any other government.

Today I will send the ARRL an email stating to them what I've just said above.

14. K0SAV

K0SAV Ham Member QRZ Page

It's very sad isn't it? Not every ham in the world is lucky enough to live in a democracy, but ham radio can be an instrument of good will that goes beyond boundries. People need to understand the difference between oppressive governments and the people that are forced to live under them. Unfortunately, there are plenty of bigots and haters in the ham radio community that aren't ashamed to show their true colors in these forums. It's perfectly alright to make a list of their callsigns and refuse to have a QSO with them!

15. K1FBI

K1FBI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Good for the goose, good for the gander.

You could have moved your net a few Kc up as you expected them to move away from you, instead of shutting it down. :confused:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.