ad: M2Ant-1

HRD Software, LLC releases version 5.11a

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WJ6R, Feb 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

Your first two words contradict the last three.

2. KF6ABU

KF6ABU Ham Member QRZ Page

Do you use the alarm functions? I can make the logbook with cluster running bring my computer to a crawl if I activate a giant filter (I need 100 countries on 4 bands) If i activate those 4 filters, my computer comes to a halt every 10 seconds or so for 3 seconds. That computer is a core2duo at 2ghz, 4gb of ram. I tried the same thing on a 3ghz core2duo, 6gb of ram, and experienced the same thing.

If its just the logbook and cluster running slowing your computer down at somepoint after many hours sans large alrms, I think you have a computer issue, not a HRD issue.

One computer was windows 7 64, the other was windows vista 64.

With that being said, if they "fixed" the slow down, it still would not be worth 80 dollars, vs. free. If they wanted 80 dollars from me it would need that, jt65, free integration with qrz, remote audio without a 3rd party application, contest specific logging options, the option for easy rotator automation by selecting a cluster spot, and auto integration and upload to clublog. As it is now I can do all of those things with a few extra steps.

3. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

I have no real problems running DM780, logbook and the main HRD rig control application on a modest laptop plus FireFox etc at the same time. The only thing I've noticed is that DM780 completely dominates the computer when it's transmitting. It prevents you from switching away from it but I think that's intentional to maintain accurate timing.

4. KF6ABU

I do not have that problem. Sounds like a lack of resources from your computer.

5. KH2D

KH2D Ham Member QRZ Page

No alarms. I hate loud noises in the middle of the night.

One filter; 40 meters, 7.000 to 7.100. Doesn't seem like that should slow stuff down.

Don't have JT65. What is JT65, sounds like jet fuel maybe?

Don't have a rotor, only a dipole. I'd need a big rotor to turn the tree it's up in.

I already have integration with QRZ.com. It's called Firefox.

N1MM has contest software, or so I've heard. I don't do contests anymore cuz nobody wants a QSL card from Florida.

I just need a log and some cluster spots so I can werk sum Deeeee-X.

Maybe it's a Windows problem. I'll uninstall Windows tonite and see if it works better without it.

I'm starting to wonder something. Maybe somebody can clue me in on this thought. Are most people actually using HRD to werk sum Deeee-X or are most people using HRD just interested in playing with a computer program? Like that DX University Contest Stimulator program on the Commodore 64.....

73, Jim KH2D

6. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks, You are better than I.

What can I say.

I agree...

My English may not be good , You are smarter than I, We all can tell.

Thank You Very Little.

Have a great day...

7. KF6ABU

No, that shouldn't slow anything down really. I would be hesitant to blame HRD for that problem. Although some of us have some problems with HRD, especially paying for a program that used to be free, and that many of us donated money to, I don’t think performance is one that generally applies. It’s not a very resource heavy program. a properly running 2ghz computer with 2gb of ram should run it fine. Whatever else you have running on your computer at the time, and the general health of the computer are more of a factor on HRD’s performance (from all the revisions I have run post buy-out)

8. KA9JLM

P.S.

Thank You for supporting Ham Radio Deluxe.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
  9. KA9JLM

Please Support QRZ.COM also...

Don

10. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

Ah... I just discovered the reason. In DM780, Tools / Program Options / QSO, there is a checkbox for "Keep program 'on top' while sending". That was checked on and since I have DM780 maximized on my somewhat small screen, "on top" effectively means it couldn't switch to anything else.

11. KB3LAZ

KB3LAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I use 7 Ultimate x64. Anyway, if you think Home is lacking you should piddle around with Starter. I realize it was made for Netbooks but even then it is useless.

I traded in my 10.1 for an 11.6 with 4g Ram, win 7 Pro, and dual core cpu. So much more happy with that setup while on the go. It may not get the battery life that one would expect but it is still much nicer on trips back and forth to the office and such than my 18 inch desktop replacement.

12. KA9JLM

Ain't that the truth.

I wonder if HRD would work with the Windows starter addition ?

Has anyone tried it ?

I know that you can tweak it to use more than 5 apps, but 5 running apps is the out of the box limit.

13. N8QLA

N8QLA Ham Member QRZ Page

Bugs ? .

Why would anyone send them bug reports/fixes when they are supposed to be the paid support gurus ?
    They should pay you for fixing their stuff.
    BTW, I've been running HRD on my FT 857D on XP and have had no problems.
    I highly appreciate the people that develop computer programs and radio programs for free for those of us that may not be able to afford all of those programs.
    I do submit bug reports to those people.
    I guess that I was just being a little sarcastic at the onset.
    I guess that the original concept of amateur radio and the concept of computer and internet have swayed greatly to those that have found ways to profit from those media.
    Oh well, Take my opinion with a grain of salt.
    We all know what opinions are worth.
    Take care.
    de N8QLA.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  14. KA9JLM

It is no different than any Microsoft Software.

You are the Software Tester.

There are to many Variables / Combinations of Hardware and Software that Microsoft can not even get it right.

Automatic Updates is a good example, of what MS thinks that your computer needs. Only to crash your system.

15. KH2D

KH2D Ham Member QRZ Page

Rick, here's another one to fix, but you have to hurry, it might not be broken after midnite.

HRD went to Daylight Savings Time a day early; anything you log now (10 PM EST) is off, GMT time, by an hour.

GMT time is correct on the screen. Local time is correct in the ADD window. But when you save the Q, the time changes to an hour off.

Wonderful part is, you can't edit the record to fix it. Unless you export the log to ADIF and fix it with Notepad.

Whoppie. I guess we'll have to take a few days off from werkin' sum Deeeeee-X until the clocks get synchronized again...

73, Jim KH2D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.