ad: AbAuRe-1

HRD Software, LLC releases version 5.11a

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WJ6R, Feb 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I never claimed to be a Geek.

I do know how software and hardware work.

If HRD needs so much computer speed and resources then maybe they need to look at the code and find out why.

It will only get worst and not better after switching over to MSVS.

I have done a fair share of software Development. But I do not know everything. Nor does anyone.

2. KA9JLM

If you have a 4 core MB then many times the Processor is waiting for something to do.

Why would you need A external processor on every board.

A faster hard drive and more ram is more helpful. And less conflicts then a CPU on every device.

P.S. We are talking about HRD, not to play a shoot-em up game. A person needs a gaming computer for games, not HRD. Many times the software company blames the hardware. When it is software problem , it is always easier to blame someone else.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  3. CT1BXX

CT1BXX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Fred.
    I have used Locig8 for several years...
    I have tested Logic9, there is a big lack: no Award Credits as we got in several Logs and in HRD in excellent manner, of course I have missed all the filters and options in SpotLog (Dx Spots), but the lack for Award Credits, makes me turn into HRD. It is very dificult to handle Challenge without this function we got in HRD.
    I must thank to HRD team for the work developed, and I guess we will have better functions in V 6 - I trust on the team.

Manuel Fernando CT1BXX

4. KA9JLM

AMEN

I am sure that they will keep up the Great Work.

Don

5. KB2BSL

KB2BSL Ham Member QRZ Page

Their website made me change my mind!

I am fortunate enough that I can afford the (in my opinion) high price being asked.
    I would prefer NOT to have to pay for phone and Email support and believe that this type of support should be charged by incident or via a separate subscription.

So I though I'd save myself $20 and buy it now.

After visiting their website I decided not to.

Now that the product can incur user licensing fees, the developers should have a website that reflects on the quality of their product.
    I'm sure some will disagree and say they should be working on the software instead, but I digress...
    Would you open a physical store without proper walls, lighting, display fixtures, or a cash register?

That is exactly what they did. All the buttons respond with "Sorry, this Module isn't active!", there isn't a screenshot or upcoming feature list to be found, no privacy policy, terms and conditions, or licensing agreement to peruse and they didn't care enough to host their own shopping cart, instead relying (and sending you to) a different website.

Some may think it was set up as quickly as possible just to collect money.
    What I think is, if this is how they choose to represent their company and present their newly available for purchase software, what do they actually think of their product?

6. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

Why do you say that?

Visual Studio is a (very good IMO) development environment which can be used for multiple languages, one of which is Visual C++. I think Rick said HRD is currently on VC++ 6 which is quite old.

What IDE would you expect them to use when developing on Windows?

7. K2GW

K2GW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Logger32 does everything that HRD did and is still free.

8. KC7YRA

KC7YRA Ham Member QRZ Page

You more eloquently said what I had said pages ago. I asked the same question about "Module isn't active" on their pages. The website is rather poor compared to what they are trying to sell. Unfortunately, I never got an answer to my query.

Brad

9. N4OYT

N4OYT Ham Member QRZ Page

40 would be high in my book,,25 or 30 would be resonable...so if its going to be 80 then I'm deffinatly OUT!!!

10. KA9JLM

I agree.

I was speaking about the System Requirements.

11. KA9JLM

That may be because you did not pay for support. lol

12. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

I still don't really get what you mean.

Does the latest C++ within Visual Studio produce executables that require more resources on the end user's computer?

13. WJ6R

WJ6R Ham Member QRZ Page

The answer is that we are using PHP nuke as a temporary holder and Ive got alot of the modules turned off until Erin (KJ4MFO) can finish the NICE website.

Patience guys, it's just a website, not a catalog.

14. KE2IV

KE2IV Ham Member QRZ Page

Gosh -- I plowed through a lot of this thread and then had to jump to the end.

I'll admit that $79.95 did catch my breath as being a bit steep -- but not outrageous. And the $59.95 "teaser" option is very tempting indeed.

I really have just one question. As I've migrated to a Mac I only keep XP on it via Parallels plus I run an older Dell laptop with XP in the shack. I've no interest in going to Windows 7 (much less 8).

Will HRD 6.0 work on XP?

If not -- I'll stick with the older "free" version. If so, I figure it's a buy.

Please advise.

15. WJ6R

WJ6R Ham Member QRZ Page

yes 6 will work with XP, Vista and 7 :) (and 8)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.