ad: Radclub22-1

HRD Software, LLC releases version 5.11a

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WJ6R, Feb 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KH6DC

KH6DC Ham Member QRZ Page

I think HRD is an excellent software and been using it many years now, for free with frequent donations to Simon when I could afford it. I've used Multipsk and fldigi but got used to the format and function of HRD with the exception of JT65 which I use JT65-HF. Always found help on the forums and lots of folks offer excellent advice. Now the question, will I buy the $80 version? No.

But I will get the $59.95 version before May 2012 and Rick, I think you meant May 2012 not May 2011 as in your response/post. At $60, it's a great value for a software suite and will do so within a week. The time it takes to write code is not easy and long, for me that is, and I appreciate those that do. And to those that do, should be compensated.

the question to Rick, W4PC is how many computers can we load this to. Right now I use 2 laptops and 1 desktop for 3 PCs.

Vry 73,

Delwyn KH6DC

2. WJ6R

WJ6R Ham Member QRZ Page

Delwyn

As many computers as you want, as long as it's your or your spouses (or mars) etc callsigns. It's callsign specific, not machine specific

and Yes, 2012! LOL We started talking to Simon in March of 2011 and I wish we had been able to have it for Dayton 2011. Well, we'll have it at 2012.

Thanks for your order...

3. N8DZR

N8DZR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Any release notes for 5.11a?

4. KA9MOT

KA9MOT Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm a huge proponent of paying for software that you use. That said, I won't even try a software package that doesn't offer a free, fully functional trial period. I've been using HRD for years now and it has always worked well for me and I too have sent donations to Simon. My goal is to eliminate Microsoft products from my shack and I guess there will never be a Linux version. :( Even for what it is, I think $80 is too much. You can buy Windows 7 for $80.

5. K0GDI

K0GDI QRZ Lifetime Member #165 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

W4PC.

Thank you for the responses. :) One other question. I really like the introductory price before Dayton. But will you have the 30 day trial software available before the price goes up $20??

6. WJ6R

WJ6R Ham Member QRZ Page

Mike's working on the release notes. we'll get em posted soon

7. WJ6R

WJ6R Ham Member QRZ Page

K0DGI

The 6.0 version will be the first fully paid version, so it will have the 30 day trial in it. Right now you are paying for phone and email support for 5.x and you get 6.0 at no additonal cost.

6.x will be $79.95 and have the 30 day trial.

8. W1EMQ

W1EMQ Guest

I use HRD 5.0 beta with an old PC running Win2000Pro. Although the web site says v5.0 supports Win2000, it does for logging, spotting and other features, but not for DM780. That's OK because I use fldigi on the both the PC and a MacBook with no problems, and that is something HRD can not boast.

I believe the terms for the $79.95 version 6.0 need to be spelled out in more detail and what "support" means. I'm sure this will be done in due course, at least one would hope so. I would like to see HRD support all platforms, e.g., PC, Mac, Linux.

Would I pay $79.95 for HRD 6.0? Probably, but I don't know enough about what I will get for the money beyond a new version number and some kind of support. At the same time, hams and other internet service users should no longer expect everything will remain free. As the internet matures, expect more pay sites, not fewer. As hams, we don't seem to complain about spending thousands of dollars for a radio, then complain about a modest fee for a piece of software that makes operating more interesting, more efficient, and less time-consuming.

Disclaimer: I have no financial interest whatsoever in HRD; I do own a 165-year-old publishing business that has gotten this far by charging an annual subscription fee in advance for 52 weeks of a product, and we have thousands of people who willing pay the subscription. Yet we also have thousands who read the highlights of the product on-line for free and complain there isn't more. They might be surprised in a few months when we put the service behind a pay wall, provide the entire product, and for the same price as the underlying product. But then we'll be able to provide much more in content: blogs, social media, photo galleries, etc. But it won't be free.

Just some thoughts from a ham of 52 years standing. - Chuck Kershner, W1EMQ

HRD is now running a business, not a charity.

9. W4PG

W4PG QRZ Lifetime Member #279 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

For what it's worth, Logic costs $129 USD for the new version. I've used both Logic and HRD and personally find HRD head and shoulders above Logic. Yet, I have many friends who claim Logic is the greatest thing and have no problem paying $129 dollars for it.

Go figure!!

I'll happily pay for HRD!

..............Bob

10. VK5BC

VK5BC Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been a HRD & DM780 user for many years and have over 11,000 contacts recorded, think it is a great program but I've been disappointed with an issue with V5 and haven't gone to V5 for my main log. My issue is with station details, in particularly the antenna details which V5 doesn't seem to handle. I used station details to record equipment & antennas on different bands at my 2 QTH's and don't won't to loose these details which seems to happen with V5 and the conversion from V4 to V5.

I don't mind having to pay for software, I think $50 would be a better figure but then the reaction to outstanding issues would need to be addressed in a more timely manner.

73's Brian
    VK5BC

11. K5RCD

K5RCD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've not seen it addressed here, so my question is:
    Are we talking $79.95 for an ANNUAL or LIFETIME subscription ?

12. WJ6R

WJ6R Ham Member QRZ Page

$59.95 1 + year of products and upgrades (1 year from the release of 6.0)
    $79.95 1 year of product and upgrades..... which includes .x releases for a year.
    renewal after 1 year is 1/2 of retail price, which would be 39.95 for years 2+.

13. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

I assume it doesn't stop working or the license expire after a year.

You can keep using it, you just won't get updates or support. Is that correct?

14. WJ6R

WJ6R Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, never expires...

15. WD4MYM

WD4MYM Ham Member QRZ Page

As long as the software works at a level at or above the current version I have (5.0 2893 which works great) I have no problem paying for it. I look forward to the new version & hope it still works well with the subscription service here at QRZ.COM which I don't mind paying for either.

Jon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.