ad: Sussex-1

HRD Software, LLC releases version 5.11a

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WJ6R, Feb 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. K0WJ

K0WJ Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Chet hit the nail on the head. I've never seen better support than the Hams that use it. $80 is ridiculous and HRD/DM780 simply aren't worth it.

Lon, KØWJ

2. KC2GYU

KC2GYU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I definitely won't be buying that. For as much trouble as HRD has given me in the past, and all of the free support from helpful Hams, I don't see a reason to upgrade to a paid version with paid people providing technical support. If the software was that great you wouldn't need paid tech support :D

3. K0GDI

K0GDI QRZ Lifetime Member #165 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Question for W4PC....

What exactly do we get for the $80? Paid support is not worth anything really. There are so many people that can help others with problems that you are having. Also what is your support email address so that we can submit bugs??? Everytime I try to upload to LOTW the logbook crashes and I need an email to submit the bug. Also I think that $49.95 is more reasonable for software. I do understand that it takes a lot of time, sweat, and tears to redevelop the software in a different language. I appreciate that. I've developed software and know the woes. :) If you could let us know if $80 covers you with free upgrades to 7.0, 8.0 and etc or is it $80 a year etc... I see that a few of us would like to know these things before we submit payment. Also is there going to be a demo or 30 day trial of HRD? I think it to be important as some people are leary about spending $80 on software that might not suite them. Let us know some more details and I am hoping the website gets a professional update.... It needs it. I'm sure you are working as fast as you can and I do appreciate it. Some answers to clarify would be great!

Greg D Isringhaus

4. N2PHI

N2PHI Ham Member QRZ Page

I know I won't be paying to use it. I will look for another free program or just go back to logging on paper. It really doesn't have any advantages.

5. K0GDI

K0GDI QRZ Lifetime Member #165 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

These are totally different people taking over the project.. I would give them a chance....

6. KJ4IDH

KJ4IDH Ham Member QRZ Page

Just had a second thought......Recently, QRZ changed the access to logbook lookups, restricting programs such as HRD to a paid level of access. Now, with HRD going the same route, I can see QRZ loosing subscriptions($$$) as well.

I only became an XML subscriber because of that change. If I must now pay 2 different entities to use the software and features, I will reconsider the use of both or just toss the digital modes out the window.....

7. WJ6R

WJ6R Ham Member QRZ Page

1. Will there be a 30 day trial of HRD 6.0? Yes
    2. It's $59.95 until May, 2011 and that gives you 6.0 at no addtional charge. Save $20.0
    3. What does the website have to do with the program? Do you want us to code or make a pretty site? ;) I'd rather code.
    3a. We're 120 days into this, Erin is working on a new site and good sites take time.
    4. My ROC software for TNCs sells for $120.00, people buy it
    5. 5.11a was released last night with the fix for the LOTW issue. I was up until 3 AM so we could get it out.. oh and 5.11a is free.
    6. We'll have the 6.0 proposed features in a few days.. for sure FSK, more radio support for current and adding older radios, integration with other programs (N1MM, etc) and lots more.

And thanks to those who ordered already. Wow, it seems the majority doesn't mind supporting hams with their wallets. You won't be disapointed I promise. It's a leap of faith but I hope my tarck record with the TNC software makes you feel comfortable.;)

And no one is forced to buy, it's your decision. If you want to move to other software, that's your decision, but from what I see from the silent majority, you'll be in the minority. ;)

Rick - W4PC

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  8. WJ6R

WJ6R Ham Member QRZ Page

9. W3TWG

W3TWG Ham Member QRZ Page

Another thought. I think it is so cool that HRD keeps up with the radio and vice versa. I don't use digi modes so DM7 whatever dosen't hold anything for me. I have been using WinEQF for my logging and file conversion for LOTW with no issues, and I bought the FT-840 because I like a no menu radio, but that's just me.

HRD, I think you are shooting yourself in the foot with your cost and with QRZ charging for access by certain programs, well, it dosn't look good.

Hope something works out for you, I have dabbled with it and enjoyed what I did, but still went back to WinEQF - it's a KISS piece of software, just my kind!!

10. W3TWG

W3TWG Ham Member QRZ Page

Good comeback! I truely do hope it works out well for you. I do support local hams with my wallet, your software really is technicaly way out of my league, I really am a simple phone operator!

11. WJ6R

WJ6R Ham Member QRZ Page

thats why we started the phone, email and remote desktop support. Helped 3 hams today get fixed up that had been having problems for weeks since they were getting different answers from their ham friends about setting up and using the software.

Takes about 15-30 to set it up right the first time ;)

They were happy hams.

12. N0WYO

N0WYO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I might do this some day but for now it's just not in the budget. Thanks for offering the 5.x software for free though. Just going through a rocky time now, I'll consider it when things are better.

13. G8AWO

G8AWO Ham Member QRZ Page

Im afraid jumping straight in at that sort of money i will be throwing the towel in and considering my options.....Yes i know there are development costs but the software was written by hams for hams and i feel it should stay that way. I have enjoyed using it and also promoted it to newbie hams when i have been installing their antennas singing the praises of the software.

14. KF6ABU

KF6ABU Ham Member QRZ Page

5.0 build 2893 works great for me. No problems with LOTW or digital modes, or using it remote, or anything.

15. WJ6R

WJ6R Ham Member QRZ Page

G8AWO? Im not a ham? ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.