ad: Radclub22-1

TARCFest XXVI.V: Tampa, FL, Saturday, January 14, 2012

Discussion in 'Hamfest and Convention Calendar' started by KB9AMM, Dec 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KB9AMM

KB9AMM Ham Member QRZ Page

http://www.hamclub.org/

TARCFest XXVI.V, “Florida’s Friendliest Tailgate” is coming soon! The date for the next Tampa Amateur Radio Club Tailgate is Saturday, January 14, 2012. Set up for tailgaters begins at 7:00am and trading opens up at 8:00am for the buyers. The tailgate runs usually until about 1:00pm or until the last lie is told or last boat anchor sold. Talk In will be on the 147.105 repeater (PL 146.2). All are welcome.

This will be the "Snowbird Edition" of our tailgate and each one has been fun and exciting. Each TARCFest continues to get bigger with record numbers of sellers and buyers. This January the traders will once again gather under the shade trees at the clubhouse to wheel and deal.

Admission will be $2 per person with children 12 and under free. Those who wish to set up for tailgating will be charged an additional $3. Plenty of spaces will be available in the tailgate area for sellers. And of course, free parking for the buyers. There are a limited number of spaces inside with indoor tables at $15.00 in advance. For table reservations or for further information, please contact:

Bill Bode, N4WEB
    14302 Capitol Drive
    Tampa, FL 33613
    Phone: 813-382-9262
    Fax: 813-878-7954
    Email: tarcfest@hamclub.org

We look forward to the same big crowds we had last TARCFest and, as always, hamburgers, hot dogs, specialty sandwiches and liquid refreshments will be available throughout the morning.

Come for the fun, come for the deals. Come to TARCFest!

Directions: From I-4 Take the Hillsborough Avenue (US 92) exit west to 22nd Street and turn North on 22nd Street, AROC is located at on the right at the end of 22nd Street.

From I-275 take the Sligh Avenue exit east to 22nd Street and turn North on 22nd Street, AROC is located at on the right at the end of 22nd Street.

From I-75 take I-4 west to Hillsborough Avenue (US 92) exit west to 22nd Street and turn North on 22nd Street, AROC is located at on the right at the end of 22nd Street.

See you there.

2. KB9AMM

Tower Electronics of Green Bay, WI and Dentronics of Flushing, MI will both be in attendance with their wears!

3. KB9AMM

UPDATE, Tower Electronics will be unable to attend TARCFest. See you in Ft Myers!

4. KB9AMM

OK, Dentronics is not going to attend either. The city won't allow overnight parking. Problem for vendors with RV's. Sorry

5. KA7NIQ

KA7NIQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I attended the last 2 of these, and learned a valuable lesson from the one before last year, GET THERE EARLY. I arrived at 10.15 am to the TARC Fest 2 years ago, and to my dismay, people were packing up, and leaving already.
    Same with last year, by 11.30 am, many had already left.
    I am sure there is some good reason I am missing WHY it starts so early ?
    It will be a COLD Morning tomorrow, and barely daylight at 7 am.
    I planned to attend, but on my way to p/u a Pizza for the kids this evening, think I may have picked up a nail or screw in my tire.
    Now, I am screwed, for there is no time to get my tire repaired, and still make TARC Fest early tomorrow morning, before everyone has left.
    I would think starting this wonderful event at a Later Time might be a consideration ?
    I was telling several other Florida Hams I know about TARC Fest, and they all said the start time was too early for them to drive from east of Orlando and Ft Myers.
    Many out of area Hams said that starting at Noon would insure their attendance, and possibly the attendance of their other family members.
    Plus, it will give Tampa the chance to warm up a little, in the middle of January ?
    Just a thought :)

6. KB9AMM

Hi Chris, I agree, it's starts way too early and is over too early. But this is what I found out. The Hamfest that start later, still have persons in line waiting to get in. The early bird people, still will go from vehicle to vehicle trying to find the "deals" before anyone else has the chance to get them. Of coarse the people trying to get rid of there equipment, are not going to turn away the $$. In some cases, they sell off everything in line before they get it the grounds. Now they can head home and spend the day doing something else. It seems too me, that when I was younger, I didn't mind getting up early and setting it up in the dark, and staying all day to socialize and match the voice with the eyeballs. Now a days, people by stuff on the web. attendance is down, time is short. The youngest guy in our club is 62 years old! Hamfests are declining, in time, attendance, enthusiasm & popularity. There is 2 things that tell when a Hamfest is ending. 1) there is nothing left to sell. 2) there is no one left to purchase. When it comes to Hamfests, the old attage is still true, 'the early bird gets the worm'

7. KA7NIQ

KA7NIQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I hear ya brother! I had a yard sale once, people banging on my door at 5.30 am.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.