ad: Retevis-1

Youngest Ham

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by K2CLH, Dec 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. K2CLH

K2CLH Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello from K2CLH! I was wondering, who is or was the youngest ham radio operator? I am currently 9 years old and studying for my Extra. I passed my Technician at age 6 and General at 7. I have not been able to find anyone younger but then there might be someone out there that knows someone who was younger! Even if you have a young hams that you know about please reply!

K2CLH

2. K0BG

K0BG Ham Member QRZ Page

There has been at least one person, age 9, with a no-code Extra.

Some years before the current VE program, there was an 11 year old girl, who passed her Extra exam. The requisite code speed was 20 wpm, and she aced the written test.

3. NZ9Y

NZ9Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Congratulations on your hard work and good luck with the Extra Class exam. Now I have a question. Are you having fun? And remember, hihi really means LOL.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  4. K5AG

K5AG Ham Member QRZ Page

Well congrats on that ham ticket. You have my daughter beat by 2 yrs or so. She got her ticket at the age of 11 and is currently living in Washington State and is now 37 now. She got her ticket back in 1985. Good luck with your upcoming test. Back in the 70's we had to take all the FCC tests in a FCC office or Field Office. Took all my tests down in Beaumont, Texas. 73 de K5AG

5. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

In the mid-1990s an 8 year old girl earned the Extra - 20 wpm code and all the written tests. In the third grade. AFAIK she is still active today. Very good CW op.

Back in 1948, W3OVV (SK) earned her Class B license at the age of 9. The Class B tests back then were given by FCC Examiner, and included 13 wpm code, sending and receiving, plus a 50 question written test that included essay questions, draw-a-diagram questions, show-your-work calculations, and multiple choice.

Her dad was W3KT.

Congrats to all young hams, past and present. It's still quite an accomplishment.

73 de Jim, N2EY

6. K2CLH

K2CLH Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes it is quite a great thing for a 8 year old to get a EXtra.

7. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

Congratulations, I have worked a few young General Class operators but cannot recall a nine or ten year old Extra. 73 and good luck!

8. KW4HKY

KW4HKY Ham Member QRZ Page

I was so glad when I got my tech! Then a young man came back to the VE after he aced Tech, and came back when he aced General, and finished out the day by passing Extra. That was at the Charlotte Hamfest 2 years ago.

He was 8.

I'll see if I can track down his call for you. I loved shaking his hand.

9. AD6KA

AD6KA Ham Member QRZ Page

Dang that's young.
    I believe I got socks older than that!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.