ad: M2Ant-1

QRZ Callsign Database Policy Change

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Jun 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N1MJF

N1MJF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I think non-paying users should now NOT have to see any ads. I thought that's what the ads were for. I'm sure a thousand people would have offered to create an active mirror of the site taking care of the load issue. I would have but now that I'm told I have to pay, I walk away with my head down. I'm poor, I almost have no place to live, I have no employment and I've got melanoma all over, so basically I cannot work and by the time I get on any type of assistance my bills will all be 10 times more due to no payments being made.

Thanks QRZ for making my hobby cost more. Before all I had to do was make sure the light bill was paid to enjoy my hobby.

2. 2M0CDD

2M0CDD Ham Member QRZ Page

Where does this concept of 'Free Ride' come from? Those that do not subscribe have adverts, those that do subscribe, have no adverts. That must say something, or should say something. It is those advertisers that are paying for the service, so it is not free. It is also worth mentioning, that those who do not subscribe, are VERY attractive to the advertisers, for two reasons. 1. none subscribers provide extra relevant web site traffic that advertiser likes, very much indeed. 2. It is the none subscribers that SEE the adverts. In short, without the none subscribers, there would be no advertising revenue. It is not a free ride, someone pays. Could we please put this subscriber/none subscriber snobbery to bed.

3. KD4MOJ

KD4MOJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for the excellent service Fred (and you too Frank!)!

...DOUG
    KD4MOJ

4. NN3V

NN3V Ham Member QRZ Page

Fred:

I understand the reason for the change, and support your actions.

I am also glad for replies on how to make some of the logging programs continue to work.

The whole reason we have software is to eliminate the drudgery of manual input where it is possible to do so.

I am a registered QRZ user, and contribute $$$ to both QRZ and my logging program developers.

QRZ and the program developers need to coexist.

73 de NN3V
    Charlie

5. N3CI

N3CI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Unfortunately such a policy has to be put into place. This is a great service to the ham community and I fully support the changes made.

Dave N3CI

6. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Sorry to read abt ur condx. All you still have to do to "enjoy" amateur radio is; pay the "light" bill. I hope ur situation changes for the better soon. 73 W5BIB...

7. KA5LQJ

KA5LQJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi All! :)
    I'm behind times, I guess, LOL! I don't look up a lot of ham's addressses and I don't use a logging program. I'm not sure of what XML does, maybe I need to catch-up, He,he,he. My logging program consist of paper and a pencil and my trust the other ham is telling me the TRUTH. Although I was fooled by an N7KRS once.

Thanks for all you and your staff's hard work, Fred. I don't like bots either, along with viri (plural of viruses), Trojans, malware, browser grabbers, etc. The only S.P.A.M. I want is the Society for the Preservation of Amplitude Modulation, ;).

I'm waiting on a Ubuntu CD start-up disc to change over this computer. Then maybe my trouble with hanks & boogers will be over, ROFL.

GOD BLESS,

Don/KA5LQJ
    Remember our troops and their families, WORLD-WIDE in prayers.

8. K7JBQ

K7JBQ Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

MJF,

Again, there is no charge, as long as you're logged in, unless you hit 150 requests per day. Yes, you will see ads.

To exceed 150 requests, and to have the info pop right up sans ads, it's $29.95.

Your choice.

Bill

9. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I just don't understand what the problem is.

To exceed 150 callsign lookups per day, you'd basically need to do a lookup every three minutes for eight hours straight. To me, that sounds like a lot.

Looked at another way - that's more than 54,000 free lookups per year!

10. N0JEF

N0JEF Ham Member QRZ Page

"QRZ subscribers, of any type, are granted unlimited daily access to the QRZ callsign data."

So just subscribe and pay for the service. Problem solved. Oh yeah. People demand soemthing for nothing.

11. W4ABC

W4ABC Ham Member QRZ Page

I just looked at your QRZ profile and you've got nearly all new gear in your shack and your mobile HF station is mounted in a Mercedes SUV!

Please tell us you were joking so we all don't think you're a dope!

Jon Pearl - W4ABC
    www.w4abc.com

12. EA4TA

EA4TA Guest

Maybe logging softwares should double duty as nodes, in a decentralized info service with root zone servers ala DNS.

That would be cool and free. And would also free qrz.com of the inconvenience.

If ampr.org hadn't died, the service may have already been implemented with NIS/YP or even bind/DNS.

It's just an idea from a cheap operator.

Eduardo EA4TA

13. K4ED

K4ED Ham Member QRZ Page

As a registered and logged in member, is there a way to see how many of my 150 look-ups/day I have used?

Also, is it 150 look-ups per 24 period, or per calendar day? If per calendar day, which time zone is that 'day' in?

14. N5VEI

N5VEI Ham Member QRZ Page

I have been a subscriber for a few years now and loved it, but now my logging programs do not work even though I am a subscriber. I have HRD logbook looking up under QRZ.com subscriber with my login and password, but it get just the name and not much else. Same goes for my DXKeeper. While I truly understand why the policy is in place, I am a subscriber and do not like what has happened to my look up service. If this is how it is going to work, what is the use for me? I do not want to have to go to the web and look up every callsign every time. Like I said I am a subscriber (XML... 30 bucks).

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2011
  15. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder QRZ HQ Staff QRZ Page

We'we had several such reports and every single one of them has been found to work after the user configured HRD properly. Although you've been a subscriber, your programs have not been using the subscription that you've been paying for. When only the name is returned it means that you have logged in under a user name that does not have a subscription. You MUST check your settings and make sure that HRD is using your QRZ password and username. I will guarantee 100% that HRD will work with QRZ. the reason that I'm so confident of this is because HRD is our #1 XML user program. In fact, I use it myself, and, QRZ is a paid sponsor of HRD. If you are troubleshooting and are wondering if your XML subscription is working, just go to http://www.qrz.com/xcheck When xcheck works then your XML is confirmed OK.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.