ad: elecraft

Video shows intentional jamming of 2m repeater tracked to SoCal HAM

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by KJ6FYX, Feb 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KJ6FYX

KJ6FYX Ham Member QRZ Page

KJ6FYX Daniel Rice tracked a jamming signal on the KG6YPA 146.235mhz Amateur Radio Repeater to the residence of WA6RXZ Henry Stange of Temecula, Ca. Henry Stange has had a history with this repeater, a verbal life-time ban was issued by the repeater owner in January of 2011. After a month of investigation we had narrowed down who we had thought the individual was. After all the malicious and intentional interference (by the same voice) to the KG6YPA 146.235mhz repeater, signals were finally located. The following link to YouTube shows the transmitter hunt live. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyIJso-qfkE

2. WA8LGM

WA8LGM Ham Member QRZ Page

Two thumbs up for getting the goods on this idiot. The usual attitude of these kind of people is "I'm too smart for them. They'll never catch me."
    Famous last words. Bye bye Henry, a ham radio operator is not for what you are.
    Ya know, my granny used to say that it takes one to know one. All of the epithetical nonsense you were spewing came back to roost, and it came back in a lot faster hurry than you ever thought that it would.
    Well, as Forrest Gump said, "Stupid is as stupid does." There's some kind of wisdom in that little phrase, isn't there, Bubba?
    Bye Henry, I hope that the evidence you generated comes back to haunt you.

3. K4WGE

K4WGE Ham Member QRZ Page

1. Does WA6RXZ get time for rebuttal if he chooses?

2. Would the video be admissable as evidence in court?

4. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

1. What's to rebut? I suppose he could present a video of him asleep in his bed.

2. Depends on the court and what the charge is.

Certainly there is a lot of testimony and circumstantial evidence here. I suppose it could be someone else, but highly unlikely.

Should be enough to get a letter of inquiry from the FCC and bannation from the repeater.

Joe

5. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

The only thing that might make the video evidence even more irrefutable would be to show the S-meter and a directional antenna sweeping and pointing at the signal source. You'd have to have an RF gain control or an attenuator, though.

Back when I was messing with CB stuff we had a similar idiot. We got tired of it one night and went looking. He just locked down the mic and left it next to the stereo. When we pulled up in front of the house we heard someone scream "Oh S$#T", heard the screen door slam, and then the signal disappeared. Never had a problem again.

KG7ZEV likes this.
  6. K4WGE

Priorities

Had a look at WA6RXZ's page on QRZ. If I had a wife as nice as the one in the photo there, I don't think I would have time to be jamming a repeater.

7. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

It's stupid to be jaming in the first place.
    You would think that behavior would be over by the age of eleven.
    I guess not.

8. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I wouldn't paint all hams with such a broad brush.
    There are many good hams that make it all worthwhile.

9. KJ6FYX

KJ6FYX Ham Member QRZ Page

Since making the video public he has since resorted to "touch-tone jamming" and very rarely uses his usual jamming voice as heard in the video. Since I took the video I have purchased one of K0OV's 4mhz offset attenuator specifically made for t-hunting and installed it on my 3-element tape measure yagi I built using the design by WB2HOL. The good thing is I live fairly close to this parasite jammer. It only takes me about 15 minutes drive time to position my vehicle and tape measure yagi within a couple hundred yards of his residence (with video camera in hand).

On my next mission (as I like to call them), I will make sure to have not only my tape measure yagi w/attenuator but also a UHF hand-held radio tuned to the UHF 3rd harmonic frequency for the repeaters input frequency. Get a full-scale signal there and he is FOR SURE within a couple hundred yards. The FCC isn't stupid, they know that too. Looking at this guy's continuous jamming history with this new repeater (a few months now), it's only a matter of time before the FCC and I nail him with even better evidence than I already have. Stay tuned! You may even hear the outcome on Newsline! This guy is going down.

KG7ZEV likes this.
  10. WA8LGM

WA8LGM Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey! there's nothing wrong with this guy that a good pair of wire-cutters placed around his antenna line or a pin shoved into the coax at the appropriate place wouldn't cure. :D
    Hmm, that would be too good for him. :p
    How about a log chain wrapped around his tower attached to a good heavy duty truck? :confused:
    One good tug on that and I just betcha that he'd be off the air for a while. :eek:
    Sympathy for this dead head? Nah. He just needs a couple of good old boys to pay him a visit and tell him about the way things are going to be after their visit. Personally, I have no use for this kind of living idiot with a radio. He's not a ham, he's a p*** in the a** with a license. :(

Last edited: Mar 5, 2011
  11. AB3LW

AB3LW Ham Member QRZ Page

Theres an alternative to going out and DF a jammer. Just analyze local politics and you may find out what provoked it. and thereby who.
    Go after the root of the problem or else it repeats every spring.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2011
  12. AB3LW

2 meters is not ham radio in true form anymore. Many of these clickish repeater groups should be on private part 90 systems anyway. (snobs hogging repeater pairs)

LFA : giving up on ham radio now is like not driving anymore because of one bumpy road. Hang in there, youre not the only one that has felt that way.

I have elmered ppl in the past, Nowadays i give them a scanner and tell them to make sure there is enough ppl that you would like to talk to before you even study for a license or buy a radio. If all you want to do is use 2m.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2011
  13. AB3LW

New ppl coming into the hobby should be steered into the right groups initially so that there are fewer clashes of our diversity. ex. dont go to a repeater frequented by cops and complain about a ticket. ex. dont talk about your favorite conservative talk show on a repeater frequented by liberals. etc...

The way it is now we throw cats into a ring with dogs with no guidance.

Licensing should be done locally by clubs that could steer ppl away from hostile clicks and others that they would clash with. Social interaction for a time in a club where it can be taught how to get along and not try to be where not wanted.

If an OO would step in once in while and just say " hey dude, you dont fit there" in a nice but firm way.
    before there are any hard feelings or clash on the air

Well that's my opinion, Fire away, my shields are up.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2011
  14. K4WGE

I notice he removed the picture of his wife from his QRZ page. Maybe she left him.:)

15. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I would say that what you have is pretty compelling evidence, but I'm not sure FCC will agree. It is certainly more than enough for them to start an inquiry, though. One thing I would advise, though, would be to avoid putting yourself in a situation where you are poking a mentally incompetent individual through the bars of his cage. A direction finder that uses comparative phases instead of signal strength might be more persuasive, too. It's very unlikely, but possible that someone on the other side of the ham you suspect is using a directional antenna and lots of power to make it look like it's coming from his house. You need to rule that out, in order to have a solid case.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.