ad: k1jek

D-STAR illegal in France

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Jun 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. G8KHS

G8KHS Ham Member QRZ Page

Last edited: Jul 10, 2010
  2. SV9OFO

SV9OFO Ham Member QRZ Page

Not Quite enjoyable... Google translate is so lame that I had to drive it using specific words in my above sentence to ensure that I'll get appropriate output (for you to understand it if you tried it) and even had to include the request for english because I failed on understanding the meaning of it; Thus the request.

Ok, the 1st link provides sufficient info. Having 300-something signatures europewide (as citizens of all 28 member-states of the EU have the right to participate) is considered a total failure especially after all this publicity, and that failure is considered an answer to those who insist that D-star is alive and well...

hihi, got some publicity ourselves, thanks to Julian, G4ILO, which I deeply and openly admire:

http://www.onlineradio.fr/news-radioamateur/d-star-en-france-attention-danger

Last edited: Jul 10, 2010
  3. G8KHS

4. G8KHS

You are correct, google translate is not perfect, but I am quite used to the different syntax and forms that other languages use - I enjoy making sense of part translated text - it's fun.:)

Ah yes, it seems Julians interesting blog is read by many french radio amateurs as well as om from Greece, USA and UK.

Also John, your english is very good, it is a great pleasure to converse with you.

73 de G8KHS - John

5. G8KHS

6. SV9OFO

I don't know why but I fail to understand what the poster of the d-star toilet wants to say.

7. G8KHS

The text on the plinth infers to "The higher you are the more extreme you become"
    The toilet seems to symbolise the act of excreting and when placed on a plinth we add the dimension of height.
    These together with the word "observatoire" imply that when a person is raised to a height by a system, i.e. Dstar they will look down on others and defecate upon them.

English has a phrase for this, It is to "crap on someone from a great height", which means to treat someone very badly or unjustly. The added factor of height increases very much the severity of the bad action. :eek:

I hope this helps om

73 de G8KHS

8. SV9OFO

Ah. Again the cultural barrier. we have a relative phthegm, "χέσε ψηλά κι αγνάντευε""... (Crap high and watch below....)

9. GI7OMY

GI7OMY Ham Member QRZ Page

10. K7VV

K7VV Ham Member QRZ Page

GI7OMY

An excellent point.

11. VK5LN

VK5LN Ham Member QRZ Page

I find it amazing that virtually any post on this forum that mentions D-Star inevitably ends up in a D-Star and/or Icom bashing parade.
    I would suggest those with negative things to say to do a quick Google search for "The Amateurs Code" and take a look. We are all on the same team!

Icom's only crime is permitting amateurs to embrace some new technology, if you don't want to use D-Star then no one is holding a gun to your head, you are free to use any other mode you want (within license restrictions).
    The AMBE codec isn't Icom's idea alone, it was part of the original D-Star spec as written by the D-Star working group of which Icom was a part, but not wholly. It would be nice if the codec was open source, allowing it to be implemented in software... but for now it's not. There is the CODEC2 work happening which is fantastic. It would also have been nice if the D-Star radios allowed different codecs to be easily plugged into the data stream, it also would have been nice if D-Star radio could dedicate the whole data stream to data (with no voice)... but they don't, and that's fine... it just means I have to find another way to do this.

The only other thing that makes me sad about amateur radio today is the lack of people actually building things... getting the soldering iron out and turning an idea in our head to reality, we have turned into black box operators.

I've been active on D-Star through wanting to be progressive. I also experiment with P25 digital radio, with APRS and packet radio, I operate an IRLP node, enjoy satellite work as well as FM and SSB on HF. I encourage those not wanting to have anything to do with D-Star to find what excites you about amateur radio and embrace it rather than try to bring down those who aren't the same as you.
    When I see someone doing something innovative with amateur radio, I try to find out more rather than make snap judgments. When I heard about guys in Tasmania talking using Luxeon LEDs and Fresnel lenses, bouncing light off of clouds... I was amazed, not for one second did I think it was a waste of time.

While I do own an Icom 70cm D-Star, I have also built a D-Star repeater using non Icom RF hardware.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BshKlf0QTPY

I've spoken on air (not through the internet) using D-Star with no Icom hardware at all using some amazing software and a DV Dongle.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10SZfMbeTl0

I encourage ALL amateur radio activity be it CW, EME, satellite work, contests, backpack operation, QRP, FM, packet, P25, RTTY, PSK31, mobile work... all you have to do is refer to The Amateurs Code!

Michael.
    VK5ZEA

12. G8KHS

Michael VK5ZEA

Hi Michael, Dstar is interesting and I'd really like to use it but it's a non-starter for me due to the politics.

I don't want to go and buy an expensive Dstar radio and find that I can't use the connectivity of the system because a tin god doesn't like me speaking in another language to other stations outside of my country.
    And yes, this has happened here in the UK.

There are plenty of other great old and new things to do in amateur radio so I'll stick with those.

73 - G8KHS

13. EI4GMB

EI4GMB Ham Member QRZ Page

14. VK5LN

VK5LN Ham Member QRZ Page

I have no problem with freedom of expression... but some of the posts in opposition to D-Star have been totally obnoxious. If you don't like it, I'm fine with that... if you want to tell people you don't like it, go right ahead... but don't tell people that they are morons for wanting to use D-Star...

15. EI4GMB

EI4GMB Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't recall any Radio Amateur refer to another as a moron in the D-Star debate.I think you are taking the matter far too personally. Also you seem unable to accept criticism of D-Star and there is quite alot of it here on QRZ. In short my friend and to quote a famous american actor 'You can't handle the truth'!!!
    Fred EI4GMB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.