ad: AbAuRe-1

"Radio Shack" predicted to disappear in the next year.

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N7UR, Jul 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. N7UR

N7UR Ham Member QRZ Page

Wall street analysts have now predicted what the amateur radio community has seen for more than a decade, the demise of "Radio Shack".

24/7 Wall St. has included "Radio Shack" in it's list of companies that are certain to be non-existent by the end of 2011.

The just released list includes: Readers Digest, Kia Motors, Dollar Thrifty, Zale, Blockbuster,T-Mobile, RadioShack, Merrill Lynch and Moody's.

Here is what they have to say about the end of Radio Shack:

"RadioShack is one of the oldest retailers in the U.S. It was founded in 1921 and in the early 1960s was purchased by Tandy Corp. The Tandy name was used for some of Radio Shack's retail stores. RadioShack is currently a takeover target. There have been rumors that the company may be taken private via a leveraged buyout or purchased by Best Buy (NYSE: BBY - News), probably for its locations. Best Buy would certainly not keep the RadioShack brand because it is considered downscale and does not have the reputation for quality products and service that Best Buy enjoys. RadioShack has already begun to rebrand itself as "The Shack," an indication that it knows the older brand is a burden."

2. KE7CCQ

KE7CCQ Ham Member QRZ Page

the shack

My local radio shack has a 2ft by 2 ft. section with stuff pertaining to radios, wire, and components. I think they have one shortwave radio for sale.

No surprise with this story.

3. AF5CC

AF5CC Ham Member QRZ Page

"Best Buy would certainly not keep the RadioShack brand because it is considered downscale and does not have the reputation for quality products and service that Best Buy enjoys."

Best buy sells quality products??? That is a new one on me.

73s John AA5JG

4. KE7VLC

KE7VLC Ham Member QRZ Page

No surprise there. The only reason I buy from them is because they are closer than the other electronics places. I went in to find a headset plug for a radio and the only thing they could offer me was a pair of headphones with the plug I needed for about $20. Yes I did buy it because the only set of headphones I currently have are the ones for my iPod.

However, looking around their store....there isn't much in there other than cell phone stuff.

5. WZ9I

WZ9I Ham Member QRZ Page

For many years I bought components from RS. They used to have lots of electronic parts, wire, connectors, etc. I think I spent over $100.00 a week on parts as a commercial field engineer in the industrial arena. Then, the parts were phased out, the customer service tanked (what is a resistor?), and they went to selling cheap consumer electronic stuff. No wonder!!!

6. K1RFD

K1RFD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Whenever a story about Radio Shack pops up on this board, there seems to be a chorus of criticism that somehow RS brought about its own demise by cutting back its offerings of radio parts over the years, as if they would be wildly successful if only they would stock a full line of electrolytic capacitors and 1% resistors.

I'm sure that if there was money to be made in selling radio parts to the public in retail stores, RS would be all over it. But there simply isn't, not in 2010.

7. KF5HUM

KF5HUM Ham Member QRZ Page

I would say they are probably right about it going this year or next.:(
    I went in this week asking about a power supply, connectors for mobile radio disconnects, and a simple antenna that they had on their website. They had none of these. They also had no idea about anything I asked about.

8. NC4JB

NC4JB Ham Member QRZ Page

It's the chicken and the egg. Was it the demise of hobby electronics that led to RadioShack ditching its traditional customer base and product lines? Or was it their abandonment of the hobby scene that made it more difficult to get parts that caused the decline of hobbying?

I can remember back in the early 90s when I could still go to "The Shack" for any sort of small components I needed, and what they didn't have in store they were more than happy to special order for you. I went in a couple months ago and asked them for a bench power supply and the lady just gave me a blank stare and pointed me to the cell phone adapters :rolleyes:

There has been a resurgence in interest in homebrew electronics in the past few years (just look at Make Magazine and Hackaday for two examples), but most people now have to look to online wholesalers to get parts, and if you need that one weird resistor or capacitor RIGHT NOW to finish your project, you have to punch in your card online and wait a week or more to receive it. It's a great exercise in patience and delayed gratification, but in my experience by the time the part arrives I'm no longer interested in the project, or I've found a dozen other things I need as well. My point is, if someone did start a new chain of stores that sold components and had actual expertise, they would probably do pretty well. Especially considering that the crappy economy is leading a lot of people to start looking at fix-it or do-it yourself as a viable alternative to just replacing disposable electronics.

9. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

no big loss

RADIO SHACK,you have questions?

We have dumb looks on our faces :D

10. KJ8O

KJ8O Ham Member QRZ Page

Radio Shack

Radio Schlock (as I like to call them)...

One of their stores in my area actually had a ham radio operator working there at one time, sadly, he wasn't there when looking for a replacement antenna for an HT. The sales clerk called it a CB 14 times, and I corrected him 14 times, and he still didn't get it.

I guess I'll just have to stock up at Mendelsohn's on my next Dayton Hamvention....

73 :cool:

11. WB4TJH

WB4TJH Ham Member QRZ Page

Who'd miss them, anyway? Their ham radio and electronic component days were over 20 plus years ago. All you can find in their stores now are a few connectors, cell phones, GPS units, and a lot of overpriced junk. Good riddance.

12. GM4AGL

GM4AGL Ham Member QRZ Page

Radio Shack

Radio Shack have a team of riders in this years Tour de France cycle race.Nothing to do with Ham Radio I know but.....

13. F8WBD

F8WBD Ham Member QRZ Page

I take no joy in the demise of RS. I still purchase there and have gone through those component drawers many times, and will to the end.

More unemployment is not to be celebrated.

14. N1DVJ

N1DVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I think the dumb ones are those that can't add anything but a stupid (and not funny) pun to the thread.

What a marroon

15. KE5KDT

KE5KDT Ham Member QRZ Page

I recall when they closed about 7 stores in San Antonio. I went in on a regular basis and bought pieces and parts as the prices plunged to 80 and 90 percent off, and have used most of them over the last few years. The local stores still have a fair number of components. I can still get stainless steel 102" whip for $20 dollars and they stock the Molex plugs that fit the back of Icoms and there is a good selection of odd sized peanut lights, etc., etc. I went in recenlty because I needed some breadboard and they had it along with small project boxes. Do you know of anyone else that stocks that stuff where you can walk in? For the odds and ends that are occassionally needed, it will be more of a problem when they are gone, but alas we will adapt. Bob KE5KDT

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.