ad: Schulman-1

D-STAR illegal in France

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Jun 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WY3X

WY3X Ham Member QRZ Page

Radio<-->internet connections illegal in France?

I never thought I'd say this, but GO FRANCE!!!!

I think this rule probably hearkens back to the day when many countries would not allow third-party traffic over amateur radio because it would cheat the government-monopolized phone company out of it's just dues.

Connecting an amateur radio to the internet defeats the purpose of amateur radio, one purpose of which is "(b) Continuation and extension of the amateur's proven ability to contribute to the advancement of the radio art." The purpose of the hobby is not to improve the connection of radio to the internet, but the improvement of the "radio art". Making a connection to another amateur via a twisted pair has nothing to do with radio. Central to the hobby is the propagation of electromagnetic waves through the atmosphere, no wires in between. Anything else is "faux radio".

-WY3X

2. KC2UGV

KC2UGV Ham Member QRZ Page

Connecting to the internet via ham radio is not restricted to ham-to-ham contacts. Think ham <--> arrl emails, and ham <--> ham emails, ham <--> ham radio related forums, ham <--> Red Cross Disaster Management sites, ad infinitum...

3. G3UEQ

G3UEQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Re D-Star

Yes, I agree, the French have it spot on, listening round the bands these days all you are starting to hear is digital carriers. Youngsters coming into the hobby will listen on the short waves etc. and hear this and say lets get a phone, its cheaper.

I am not against digital communications as such for certain modes, but if it starts to take over the conventional spirit of amateur radio and nobody can listen around the bands, it will create a very cliquey environment, that I dare say is happening already. Still at least LP's and analogue in some areas are on their way back!
    Andy G3UEQ

4. K3YBN

K3YBN Ham Member QRZ Page

D STAR should be banned in the US as well

Look I like ICOM.. I have several radios that are ICOM and love them BUT.. as long as anything about DSTAR is proprietary.. codec, hardware or anything else.. it should be banned/boycotted.

Why? It is simple. Ham radio is predicated on experimentation and technologies like DSTAR STIFFLE our ability to experiment by their closed nature. See for ICOM this is a pure money maker.. and if continued this technology will go the same way as the BETAMAX video recorder.. Then all of those that have spent large amounts of money will be stuck with a white elephant.

It is also the exact reason that other VOIP technologies survive.. they are open source.. you can build you own hardware if you like it.. write your own server if you like.. or whatever you wish to do with it...

WHy would I ever spend $1k on a mobile 2/440 radio give me a break..

Send ICOM a message.. "OPEN UP YOUR TECHOLOGY"

Jim

5. WA4OTD

WA4OTD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have to print and frame this post :)

6. K5OKC

K5OKC Ham Member QRZ Page

les langue française ne fonctionne pas bien avec un japonais vocoder de toute façon :p

7. KC2SIZ

KC2SIZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Very interesting. Part of me is sad that the French are proving to be more forward thinking and courageous in this area. At the same time, part of me applauds them for it.

8. W5HTW

W5HTW Ham Member QRZ Page

ditto

And for the ten character minimum, more ditto

Ed

9. KC2UGV

And again, to you: There is more to ham <--> internet connectivity than ham <-- > ham wired contacts...

10. KE7JFA

KE7JFA Ham Member QRZ Page

Should be illegal in USA too an Icom investigated on a federal level.

11. KC2UGV

lolwut?

[​IMG]

12. G0FTD

G0FTD Ham Member QRZ Page

Seems most people agree with me ;-)

>WHy would I ever spend $1k on a mobile 2/440 radio give me a break..

Exactly.

>Send ICOM a message.. "OPEN UP YOUR TECHOLOGY"

Well to be fair, it's not ICOM's technology.

Icom have added someone elses technology, which is closed. Not even Icom
    know how it works.

Icom have offered it in their products and given us choice, but that's it really.

But the closed system is not what this hobby is about, so it's a bad thing.

And what does it really do ?

Wow, someone can see your callsign appear on their rig's display, but so what,
    operators give their callsigns anyway.

It gives you (at a huge price) the ability to send out you GPS location.
    Who care's, I ask them for their QTH and it's free!

It digitises your voice, so what, it's still the same voice, just sent digitally, so what ?

Yeah so you can use it to link worldwide - so what, that can be done already
    using a simple analogue interface to the same internet connection anyway.

You need a PC just to send a simple text message, heck, why cant it be done
    like a cellphone instead ?

You need a pc to put all those repeater nodes in.

Pointless, utterly pointless.

13. KJ3N

KJ3N Ham Member QRZ Page

D-Star is nothing more than glorified Echolink. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
  14. KE5SWU

KE5SWU Ham Member QRZ Page

AMEN! Why people buy into DSTAR is beyond me. Neat idea, poorly implemented.

15. G0FTD

G0FTD Ham Member QRZ Page

It gets worse, RSGB and DSTAR repeaters

Just thought I'd let you guy's know this.

Here in the UK our licensing authority (OFCOM) uses the RSGB as a repeater licensing buffer to administer the initial repeater licensing applications.

The fagheads at the RSGB are now refusing to pass any analog applications
    on the 2m band to OFCOM.

Damn cheek, who do these guys think they are ?

(OFCOM = FCC in the UK.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.