ad: MLSons-1

Listen to DSTAR via the internet

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KF4ZW, May 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. WA4OTD

WA4OTD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You have to be kidding, right??

2. KC2UGV

KC2UGV Ham Member QRZ Page

What does it have to do with the internet? Because somebody set up a stream for it?

3. WA4OTD

4. K4AX

K4AX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You don't have to use the internet side, just don't link the repeater to a reflector and don't talk to those terrible people in other areas.

5. VE3LDJ

VE3LDJ Ham Member QRZ Page

6. WA4OTD

I understand but the system is designed to take advantage of the internet. Not saying that is a bad thing, it is what it is. I do find it ironic that we are "when all else fails" yet the emergency communications is is pushing the D-Star system which ties into internet prone to failure and overload in disaster.

I think a repeater to repeater system for passing data without internet connection would be better and more reliable system. Maybe D-Star does that also, haven't read that deep.

7. K0SPN

K0SPN Ham Member QRZ Page

D-STAR can link repeater to repeater, just like normal repeaters can if the owner wants to link them.
    For local linking, there is a setup that uses 10GHz (I believe).

Thing is, the D-STAR system just uses TCP/IP for routing, and I think that is why many think that using the internet is required.
    TCP/IP are protocols, nothing more; true, they are the ones used for the internet, but nothing is stopping someone, or a group, from creating their own wifi network instead of using "The Internet".

As it happens, there are groups of amateurs experimenting with off the shelf routers, modifying them, and creating their own LANs, MANs, and WANs; this is usually called HSMM.

8. K4AX

K4AX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I certainly understand that. Our club recently put a 440 dstar machine up in place of a FM machine, and this was discussed. However, we figured that since the FM machine did not have any sort of linking capability, putting a Dstar machine up and having that part fail was no big loss. IN fact we had the Dstar machine up for a year with no gateway/linking/internet.

We have a Icom repeater, but the controller is custom, and was designed by a local ham KT4AT. It has many more functions than the Icom controller. KT4AT also came up with a gateway solution to link to the controller.

His goal is to put up some RF linking, or at least offer it in the future. Further in the future he would like to get Dstar using the GE Master II on receive. We currently use a Master II amp on transmit. Out of the box, the Icom repeaters are DEAF. The radios themselves are great.

Anyway, to me it's just a digital voice mode, and it just happens to be some what easy to link the machine up to reflectors and gateways. We would still use it if we did not have internet here, and we did so for a year.

9. W8QZ

W8QZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd be interested in trying D-Star, if the price wasn't so high. I think there's at least 1 D-Star repeater in my area. I recently purchased an Icom 2200H radio - used, for about $175. Great radio. The stopper for me is the price: the UT-118 module to add D-Star capability to my radio is now going for $200 :confused: Seems to me like an awful lot to spend for a little circuit board with 1 ($6) chip on it (plus a few other minor bits and pieces).:mad:
    For $50 - sure, I might spring for it, just for grins. Would I use the data capabilities of D-Star - don't know. It's kind of a 'chicken and egg' thing (or 'vicious circle' if you prefer) - if there's not enough other people out there using it, there's not much incentive for me to us it either.
    On the other hand, I've just recently gotten started in some of the digital modes - so don't call me one of the Luddites. And, you know, when with a $75 older labtop, a handfull of parts for a home-made interface, and some free (!) software off the internet, it didn't cost me much to get started. It's a case of personal economics - personal perceived value vs. out-of-pocket cost.
    I have a hunch that my attitude is not unusual. I suppose that the harsher responses come from those who are trying to promote the new technology - to try and overcome the issue I've explained, by convincing enough people to try it anyway, hoping that enough momentum can be created to 'get over the hump' of the high priced early-adoption. Time will tell !

10. KB9MWR

KB9MWR Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm highly interested in this. If you can, try and convince him to write an article about it.... or at least something on the web.

11. AB9SY

AB9SY Ham Member QRZ Page

D-star might not be "real ham radio" but for me it's fun to listen to late at night.

I'd give taking on it a try if I could only figure out how to register with the darn thing....
    I've tried but so far no luck. Is there a trick to it?:confused:

12. WY3X

WY3X Ham Member QRZ Page

There goes another 15 minutes..

of my life I'll never get back. I don't know why I even bothered to read this thread. If any part of my amateur radio communications is carried on wire that leaves my shack, it's to an antenna, NOT over the internet. That goes for any repeater I plan to use too. If I want to talk over VOIP I'll pick up my Vonage phone and dial a number. The only "cool factor" about DStar is being able to transfer a file at 128K over the air at the same time you're talking on the radio while it's sending the data. But if I did buy one, it would be used point-to-point, not through a repeater unless I knew for a fact it wasn't connected to the internet.

That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it!

-WY3X

13. WA4OTD

Guess I'm shocked someone hasn't proposed a TCP/IP gateway device for use with standard analog 2M radios. Maybe that exists already, I don't pay much attention to digital modes.

14. N0RMZ

N0RMZ Ham Member QRZ Page

It's called Packet, and most people quit using it in favor of their cellphone and the Internet.

:D

15. N5RFX

N5RFX Ham Member QRZ Page

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.