ad: chuckmartin

San Jacinto Radio Ham arrested

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, May 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

You know;
    I don't see where that figures into this.
    I could make the same argument for relaxing the theory requirements.

As it is I have to keep from saying "once a CBer always a CBer"

Now I didn't say that........

2. KD7YVV

KD7YVV Ham Member QRZ Page

She shouldn't share a cell with Jack Gerritsen.
    You want the whackers to breed or something? :)

All kidding aside, messing with police/fire/medical frequencies is a definite
    no-no. What I'm curious about is how on earth did this person pass the test?
    Since she did pass the test, how could she not know she would be caught?

3. N5JEH

N5JEH Ham Member QRZ Page

Crazy person,but "Police also seized Levy’s Ham radio technician’s license issued to her by the FCC in September of 2009, Richards said."
    Is that legal?

4. GW7AAV

GW7AAV Ham Member QRZ Page

Give the poor woman a break...prefereably in a nice white room with padded walls.
    Time for her meds me thinks. Hopefully she will get her licence (and her husbands radio gear) backwhen she can prove she is taking her lithium regularly.

These things usually happen in threes! Who will be the next crazy ham in the news?

We could all do without any more hambarasment in the press.

5. G4LNA

G4LNA Ham Member QRZ Page

That made me chuckle, it was so obviously tongue-in-cheek, hence the little laughing icon in your post :)

6. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Really, the two things are worlds apart. This woman knowingly and repeatedly transmitted interferring messages on PS channels. I'm not sure the other guy is guilty of anything, other than doing a dumb thing.

Last I checked, stupidity wasn't a crime.

Joe

7. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I thought that, too.

Actually, I first thought, "How nice of her to post a photograph of her mother here.":)

8. KE5EUA

KE5EUA Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

No that's funny. I looked her up a few hours ago when I first saw this thread when there was only one page of comments. Looked again and everything has been removed.

Not like she is hiding anything..to late for that..

Michael
    KE5EUA

9. AF6LJ

yes that is legal;
    They then petition the FCC for revocation and the FCC will likely revoke her license.

You break any of the communications laws and you risk loosing your license.

10. KI0U

KI0U Ham Member QRZ Page

Sad

The sad truth is she isn't a true Ham just because she has a license. A true ham wouldn't sit around doing the type of stupid acts she has performed. The truth is she is more than likely a CB'er lot Lizard who got a ticket to try and cover her illegal acts. I also know people with a drivers license but they can't drive either :D

11. AE6JM

AE6JM Ham Member QRZ Page

They don't petition" for anything....

Worked with these guys, they will turn over their file to a federal agency, if they haven't notified them already. I'm sure she is already on enforcement's radar. Its unfortunate that CAL-FIRE's radio system is 40 years old, vhf analog, and some local PDs like Hemet still use the same. The Sheriff and other departments are on newer 800mhz digital systems, much harder and more expensive to get at.

12. W6EM

W6EM Ham Member QRZ Page

Not so sure. Quoting the back of my license: "Neither the license nor the right granted thereunder shall be assigned or otherwise transferred in violation of the Commmmmunications Act of 1934, as amended. See Section 47 USC 310 (d). (Follows)

d) Assignment and transfer of construction permit or station license

No construction permit or station license, or any rights thereunder,
    shall be transferred, assigned, or disposed of in any manner,
    voluntarily or involuntarily
    , directly or indirectly, or by transfer of
    control of any corporation holding such permit or license, to any person
    except upon application to the Commission and upon finding by the
    Commission that the public interest, convenience, and necessity will be
    served thereby.

There is no process allowing for a local government to file an application to revoke an amateur license. Moreover, it appears the Hemet PD may have violated the Communications Act in confiscating her license.

The Enforcement Bureau could investigate, and upon hearing of evidence, decide for itself if punishment is in order and what that might be. But, it took many letters from amateurs and one to the United States Attorney to get some federal enforcement action.

CA has a law that may in and of itself be preempted by the Communications Act. The CA statute prohibits use of radio equipment that interferes with public safety radio and considers it to be a felony, as I recall. Gerritsen was convicted under it and served time.

I'm not defending the behavior, only that what is a misdemeanor in the Communications Act is considered a felony by a state, and state statutes are clearly inferior to federal law.

Perhaps there's a "leagueal beagle" in the house (W4PG, where are you?)

13. W6EM

W6EM Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, the same concept that failed the whole New Orleans area in Katrina's aftermath and elsewhere.

Its also a poor performer in ridge and valley areas.

Analog VHF is more robust, but it can more readily be interferred with.

14. NN3W

NN3W Ham Member QRZ Page

15. AF6LJ

You brought up a number of very good points.
    Where the rubber meets the road;
    The police can seize her license, why because a challenge can't be made outside of court. They may have overstepped their bounds. If she has a copy of her license she can operate until the FCC says she can't.

For all we know the FCC was contacted before the seizure occurred and authorization may have been given to seize her license.

We don't know what "actually happened" all we have is second hand reports.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.