ad: M2Ant-1

Weather & Sunspot Cycle 24. Heralding a New Maunder Minimum & Ice-Age?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by GM4BRB, Aug 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

And I don't know nuthin' about anything, but I know something about nuthin'... or is that nuthin' about something?:confused:

2. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Care to explain further about your "better explanation or name some of these "many scientists?" What are THEIR credentials?

Yes, there are those that believe since it may not happen within THEIR lifetime, we will "never run out of oil and gas."

Last edited: Aug 21, 2008
  3. M1FDZ

M1FDZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Calm down, all is not lost, the sun IS going to have some spots http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2006/10mar_stormwarning.htm?friend It all depends on which news paper you read or which headlines you listen as to what you are or are not going to believe.
    Anyway the bands are open, just not as much and definately not so crowded, it is a greater challenge to work DX in these conditions and much more fun than 1st call 5/9. During the recent solar eclipse there was a big flare to the right of the picture around 2 o'clock, so something IS happening. 73 de Max M0GHQ:)

4. KA5ROW

KA5ROW Ham Member QRZ Page

:cool: Global cooling would be kinda COOL, and it could help out the antenna sector of the economy.
    :eek: More ice storms = more down antennas = more antenna sales for Cushcraft & Hy-Gain = more people to build antennas = giving people jobs = a boost to the economy.

5. NK2U

NK2U XML Subscriber QRZ Page

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Well, that's good news: this means we can end hunger in America! All we need to do is start handing out shotguns and haivng people get thier own dinners instead of being on the dole!

BTW, have you noticed that when they show "poor" people on television, 9 out of 10 times they're fat? How did America end up with fat "poor" people?

Roland, NK2U

6. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

7. WN9DDV

WN9DDV Guest

I Have Been Thinking This For Some Time

Of course our English friend is correct. This cycle has not met anyone's predictions. Or is it the old cycle? We keep hearing different things from those in the know. The heating and cooling of the earth roughly follows the cyclical patterns of the sun spots. I hope all the global warming folks will end up with egg on their faces and admit their errors before we spend a ton of money for nothing.

C. Richard Pumphrey, WN9DDV

8. N7YA

N7YA Ham Member QRZ Page

What i can tell you is that no matter what opinion you take on the matter, someone else will find you to be wrong.

Things i am NOT wrong about are the summers here in Vegas havent been as hot. I recall having 110-118 degrees for 2 months every summer. I think we hit it only a couple of times...we have been averaging about 105 all summer. Same as last year.

I have also noticed the winters havent been as chilling...were in the high desert, we usually get very hot, then very cold...but the winters havent been very cold. Same as last year.

I also know that large chunks of Antarctica have broken off and floated away, this has not happened in recorded history on such a scale, i also see there is a huge crack forming on Greenlands icecap. You guys decide what its from then decide how wrong everyone else is...like mine, your opinion will be nothing more than that. You can Google-earth it and compare it to previous satellite charts of that region and compare....thats all i did, and sure enough, theres a few chunks missing.

So i prefer not to espouse any opinions on the matter. All i know is what has been documented. Our summers have been far milder, our winters have been too, and strangely enough...there have been documented and proven signs backing claims from BOTH sides...what is this telling us? Who is fooling who?

As far as propagation goes, i am still working new countries at the solar minimum and having a good time. Even if this coming cycle is going to be the weakest one yet, it will still be better than the condx that we have right now. I have also read from the other side of the fence that this coming cycle will be the strongest one yet...of course, im hoping for the latter, but i will take ANY improvement to the bands and will reserve my judgement for a few years on this one.

But even if cycle 24 never arrives and we get 11 or 12 years of what we have now, it will suck, but i will still work DX.

Somehow i think it will be a normal sunspot cycle, not a phenomenal burst of activity, nor will it be nonexistant...just a good old fashioned, hearty sunspot cycle. Either way, i look forward to it.

As for the climate, we can freak out and call eachother names all day long, nature is going to do what she does and were merely paid ticket-holders for the show....if we get a mini ice age, i will bundle up and stock up on supplies, if it starts to warm up, i will try to adjust accordingly. But i will reserve freaking out for when an event happens that requires me to do so...and even then, its best not to.

9. DUPE-AG5P

DUPE-AG5P QRZ Member QRZ Page

You dont know Jack.....:)

This has been a very enjoyable thread, informative questionable, intelligent well at least the comment from Jack W0XR was. I should have stopped reading after that but I continued on, perhaps wanting to see another, but alas it never happened. Not even with this one.

Charlie AG5P

10. KD7YMR

KD7YMR Ham Member QRZ Page

Not enough info

The big problem is that we haven't been doing this monitoring long enough to know where its going with any certainty. Things may simply blow up tomorrow, or be flat, dead even for the next 10,000 years. Nobody really knows. Meanwhile, like the man said. . .
    . . . It's Stink-O!

11. G8ADD

G8ADD Ham Member QRZ Page

Sure it does, thats why one of the biggest maxima ever recorded came at the same time as a cool decade!

What if, despite all your convictions, the "global warming folks" are right, the egg finishes up on your face, not theirs, and due to the urgings of people like you we didn't spend a ton of money and thus finish up deep in the mire? You are evidently not prepared to hazard a few percent of GDP against the future of your descendants, so tell me this. Think carefully. What would you regard as sufficient proof of GW to justify spending that few percent of GDP. We need a benchmark from you, something a bit short of the inhabitants of NYC or London wading through the streets at high tide!

Brian G8ADD

12. KE4IKY

KE4IKY Ham Member QRZ Page

For a benchmark. how about accurately predicting, within 3 degrees the average quarterly temperature readings of each of 1,000 weather data stations spread across the globe, 5 years in the future.

Just show some evidence of being able to accurately predict something from a single model (not 50 of them that can be selectively identified). It's very convenient that the timeframes that are discussed are just out of reach of verifiability.

13. G8ADD

G8ADD Ham Member QRZ Page

Not quite what I meant, but it would certainly be the aim of climate scientists, if you take into account that it would have to include predictions of volcanic activity and the health of manufacturing industry, inter alia, or alternatively a range of predictions tied to various manufacturing and volcanic indices!

No, I meant a sign, if you like, something we could point to and say "Aha! GW is real!" How much ice should vanish, how much should sea level rise, how far north should climate zones migrate, or whatever indicator is acceptable to you.

Brian G8ADD

14. WA5BEN

WA5BEN Ham Member QRZ Page

The only vehicle I know of that gets that poor mileage is a Nissan Titan. It's even worse than a Tundra !

Our Expedition gets FAR better mileage than any of the "import" SUV -- or pickups. (Average 18.9 mpg driving 80 + mph over 5000 miles: Dallas - El Paso - Palm Springs - LA - SF -Salt Lake City - Cheyenne - Denver - Amarillo - Dallas. That includes 5 days driving around LA and 3 days around SF.)

15. KE4IKY

KE4IKY Ham Member QRZ Page

How about a variation from the predicted climate change that should occur without man made global warming gasses, and the difference between it and climate change with man made global warming gasses. We could set a point of lets say 1 foot more sea level rise than naturally would occur as a point to say that action is needed.

What is the predicted natural amount of climate change that should be occuring anyway?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.