ad: QSLWorks-1

QRZ Warned by the FCC

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Jul 10, 2008.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. w8nic

w8nic Guest

[. It's like you own an apartment building, and someone is selling drugs out of one of the apartments, and they want you to put a stop to it, or else blame you for it. Makes no sense.[/QUOTE]
    ---------------------------------------

Maybe it's like us owning an amateur radio being operated in our home and we allow other people to use it therefore WE are responsible for the proper operation of said station...........

2. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I miss 'Roo.....

3. N4BME

N4BME Ham Member QRZ Page

What do I do with it?

So what do I do with one of these radio's I got from an estate sale last week?
    Sell the mic for $150 and offer a free accessory for it (RCI 2950?)?
    Sell it a hamfest?
    Truckstop? - just kidding!
    Power it up and check RF out on 11 meters?
    Any Ideas? Anybody Interested?
    You can email me at n4bme at n4bmedotorg

4. N4NYY

N4NYY Ham Member QRZ Page

"Maybe it's like us owning an amateur radio being operated in our home and we allow other people to use it therefore WE are responsible for the proper operation of said station..........."

I don't see the analogy. QRZ is not allowing use of these radios. The radios are being sold buy the respective owners. I do wish though, that someone would want to use my rigs. It appears no one is in the least bit interested in them, and I have a ton of relatives, especially on the in-law side.

I know one reason these radios are up for sale. They are garbage. Most drift like unanchored boats. And you pay top dollar for that. I have a restored TRC-455 that I use on the CB band, that is over 30 years old and blows them out of the water as far as stability. As far as easily modifiable for the CB band, I don't get that either. I don't know what the mod is for these Galaxy and RCI, but my Icom 746 can be easily modded by removing a surface mount diode. It can't get any easier than that. Yet that radio is FCC accepted.

5. W0UZR

W0UZR Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a Kenwood 950 SD, and it can transmit and receive on the CB frequencies right out of the box. Why is this radio Legal to sell?

I had a 940 S/AT. That can transmit and receive CB right out of the box. Why is this radio legal to sell?

If you are selling these RCIs or Rangers to Licensed Amateurs, then that means that the equipment doesn't have to be "Type Accepted" since amateures can make their own gear, then I don't get it.

6. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

The point is, that the radios are NOT illegal to own. It's currently illegal for dealers to sell or otherwise market them.
    (And unless Fred gets a signed, verified copy of a warning from someone in actual authority at the FCC, an "e-mail" is suspect.)
    The rules allow transfer of equipment from Amateur to Amateur, Amateur to dealer, and dealer ONLY to an Amateur.
    If posession of the radios were indeed illegal, THAT would be in the Commission's rules, similar to the rules concerning radios that can receive the cell phone frequencies.
    But that's NOT what the FCC prohibits.
    Now the question can be raised just WHO at the FCC issued the warning, and was the person adequately knowledgeable of the situation and actually in a position to make an interpretation of the rules.
    As far as YaeComWood (and similar legitimate Amateur equipment) are concerned, the difference from the Rangers, Galaxy's, and similar radios is that a mod of the Amateur equipment may in fact enable operation on 11 Meters, but the radios on the FCC's list are specifically designed to be easily modified specifically ON 11 Meters; it's NOT an incidental occurence. (And that determination regarding ease of mod for CB, is made by the FCC's OET, not the manufacturer.) The manufacturer COULD call a radio on the FCC's list a "doorstop," but the OET would still label it a "CB radio," and that would result in denial of certification.
    If YaeComWood made a similar "10 Meter" radio that could be easily be modified to cover the CB frequencies, I dare say such a radio would ALSO appear on the FCC's list.

7. KG4ECI

KG4ECI Ham Member QRZ Page

Ohhhh...

I misunderstood; I thought ownership was prohibited. But reading your latest post makes it seem all the more silly the FCC would bother QRZ about this; and makes the original e-mail even more suspect. My only real issue then is that the seller of the item try to ensure the equipment goes to a Ham. I know of course that is beyond QRZ's control.

8. KC4RAN

KC4RAN Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm still waiting for someone to quote me the relevant words in Part 97 that allow you to violate rules in Part 95 regarding equipment that has been deemed to be "Part 95" equipment.

Hint: It doesn't exist.

These specific radios in these citations are not 'amateur radios' - that's the whole point. They are being regulated under Part 95 as CB radios. Don't agree? Write the FCC OET. They're the ones that decided these radios are CBs, and thus subject to Part 95 rules.

9. KC9NGH

KC9NGH Ham Member QRZ Page

I think its crazy . Ok its like this they push the idea of new amatuer radio operators (even drop code in a sense) Then when the new comer or operator has enough money to get started with a 2970 and soon gets into his new hobby he gets a Yaesu Icom Kenwood ETC which can also be modified for such terrible use as they say then what are they stopping. The new operators will soon get into this and get a better so called standard radio. They have a problem with these radios?? Ok then why dont they go over to where they are made and STORM RIGHT IN AND TAKE CHARGE! I mean heck they have had no problem doing that in other countries for other reasons. Also for whoever started this if you cant play nice in the sandbox without throwing sand then FIND ANOTHER SANDBOX!

10. CypherC

CypherC QRZ Member QRZ Page

I just want to point something out, which it seems all of you missed. I've highlighted them below.

As someone who simply LOVES to pull pranks and jokes, To me this looks like it might be a fake, possibly sent by the same person who first complained to the admins here about those radios.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2008
  11. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, (with all due respect, and we have discussed this at length in the past) I would then counter with saying "Where are Amateurs subject to operation under Part 95 regulations?"

HINT:: THAT doesn't exist, either.

§Part 95 applies to CB radio, (and other services.) It has NO re;evance to §Part 97, the Amateur Service.

YES, it is true, certain radios are not allowed to be marketed (sold, advertised, etc.) in the U.S., but that is specificallly where the FCC prohibition ends. It does NOT prohibit posession.
    And there is NO equipment that the FCC prohibits under §Part 97; indicating that (since the Amateur Service was originated) Amateurs are allowed, but expected to use equipment of ANY type, design, or manufacture, within the Amateur frequencies and within the Technical standards required by §97.307
    If a radio is somehow prohibited from use by §Part 95 service(s) in no way means it is not usable in Part 97, BECAUSE Amateurs are expected to assure the equipment, when used in the Amateur service, meets the Amateur technical standards. §Part 95, §Part 90, or any OTHER service under the FCC's jurisdiction enjoys no such privilege. or ability to use such a myriad of equipment.

12. KC4RAN

KC4RAN Ham Member QRZ Page

It applies TO EVERYONE UNDER THE FCC'S JURISDICTION when you're talking about equipment that they have deemed to be Part 95 equipment. Illegal for sale... not illegal for sale "to Part 95 users". Illegal for importation... not illegal for importation "to Part 95 users".

These radios have been determined by the OET to be CBs, and are subject to Part 95. Nothing you do will make them be anything other that Part 95 radios... except perhaps getting the OET to re-review one.

If you have some quote of Part 97 - or any other Part - that exempts amateurs from Part 95 requirements when talking about Part 95 radios, I'd love to see it. Believing you are somehow exempt from this is hilarious.

13. KE5HSW

KE5HSW Ham Member QRZ Page

What the FCC DOES NOT KNOW WILL NOT HURT THEM

WHAT HE FCC DOES NOT KNOW WILL NOT HURT!!! Between Amateur operators who will know unless you advertise. More radios are sold by word of mouth.
    I could but the old CB in the truck and go down to the Truck Stops and sell a dozen radios per day. So send your old radios to me and I will get rid of them,,,LOL
    Those truckers will buy them as long as they work, and sound good. 30 minutes in the shop and anybody that knows how to work on them can have them sounding top notch.
    Uncle Charlie can't catch everybody, Now as for this tread: ENOUGH HAS BEEN SAID, UNLESS A LARGE NUMBER OF AMATEURS CONTACT UNCLE CHARLIE AND ARRL, NOTHING WILL BE DONE!!!

GET ON WITH LIFE!!! LETS GET SOMETHING CONSTRUCTIVE GOING!

Last edited: Jul 30, 2008
  14. WB7RTT

WB7RTT Ham Member QRZ Page

E-Bay and ilegal CB equipment!

Three days ago I mentioned to E-Bay that this radio was ilegal and most likely on the prohibited list and they did NOTHING to date!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=160265766035&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=006

Notice the SB220 on top of the rig and how he mentions how much power and modulation this so called great rig produces, also notice the frequency the rig is set on.
    Read the last comment in the Questions from other members and you can see that he cares not if it is legal or not and figures that listing as a Ham Radio will exempt him from the legality clause in E-Bay terms of service.

The E-Bay team will delete radios like the RCI 2950dx but will do NOTHING for rigs like this! Sometimes I wonder!!!! :confused:

Last edited: Aug 2, 2008
  15. KY4WY

KY4WY Ham Member QRZ Page

The heading read " QRZ warned by FCC" . OK, where is it ?