ad: M2Ant-1

VE3KCL. 2 Party Balloons and a U3S digi beacon

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G6YZC, Apr 26, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. G6YZC

G6YZC Ham Member QRZ Page

OK so it sounds like an opening line of a joke but I wonder how many Hams have been following VE3KCL's attempts to circumnavigate the globe using a couple of "party" balloons and a version of the QRP Labs U3S Digi beacon?

http://qrp-labs.com/ultimate3/ve3kcl-balloons/ve3kcl-s9.html

At the time of writing the balloon has traveled over 30,000 mils (50,000KM) and has been reporting back its location for the past couple of weeks via the WSPR net. Many of the big names in the HF Digi world have been monitoring the 10 MHz signals and reporting the beacons location. As I type, weather permitting, the HAM Radio Digi beacon balloon looks like it will pass its starting point of Toronto within the next couple of days. Fingers crossed for VE3KCL and thanks to Hans Summers another good use of Joe Taylor's WJST software.

Paul N2EME

2. WR2E

WR2E XML Subscriber QRZ Page

No new report since Tuesday... is it safe to assume this means it went down?

3. G6YZC

G6YZC Ham Member QRZ Page

Alas it appears as if contact was lost. I am waiting to read VE3KCL's report. This does not necessarily mean it went down but for all intents it means the same thing. So sad that it was tracked for over 32000 miles and was not quite tracked past the start line BUT I amt sure that everyone considers this a great success, I know I do, for VE3KCL and QRP Labs little WJST U3b beacon. I am eagerly looking forward to VE3KCL's S10 launch!! From chatting with a friend I know that the S9 web page had over 20000 views as of Tuesday so VE3KCL and QRP Labs certainly seem to have caught the ham operators interests. Even my teenage daughter kept walking up to the computer to see where the Digi Balloon had reached. She thinks it would be a great science project for her school if they ever produced a kit. Thank you for giving us all such fun following your Digi Balloon. As a note I have been testing the U3S out as a VHF Digi beacon on 6, 2 and 222 and am very impressed with it. It was interesting that when running JT65 that 5 or 6 sporadic E opening were being reported a day from New England to North Carolina and Georgia even though I was running around 5w. Our club, N4EME Rovers, is running a QRL Labs U3S digi beacon on 50.075 cw from the club shack in Pompano Beach FL under the club call sign of KM4HAM. As my interest is Meteor Scatter I am working on a FSK441 beacon for 2m for the club too. Anyway I digress. once again THANK YOU VE3KCL and QRP Labs for a fun project to follow. My friends and family are eagerly awaiting your plans for an S10.

Paul N2EME

K3NXH likes this.
  4. K3NXH

K3NXH Ham Member QRZ Page

Very nice write up Paul.
    Chuck K3NXH