ad: CQMM-1

Review of the 10V USB charging cable for HTs [Video]

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by SV2RMK, Sep 30, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. SV2RMK

SV2RMK Ham Member QRZ Page

In this week's video I am testing the 10V USB charging cable for Baofeng radios. I am measuring the output with the multi-meter and suggesting different uses. A really nice accessory to have in the field.

[​IMG]

Enjoy:

2. ZS6BV

ZS6BV Ham Member QRZ Page

Its also very easy to build a small 10v regulator circuit with a cigarette lighter jack and a pair of crocodile clips to charge the HT's
    You still need the HT's charger though.

SV2RMK likes this.
  3. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I would not use one of those, Unless your USB port can provide 1 + amps.

Many USB ports only supply .5 amp, And smoke can result.

Have fun.

SV2RMK likes this.
  4. SV2RMK

That is certainly an option.

5. SV2RMK

I assume you are referring to USB ports on computers, right? I agree. However, not sure what the problem would be, apart from charging the battery slower?

6. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Depends on the computer, Some USB 2 ports may shut off, Or not work at all. USB 3 should work fine.

If you do not mind charging at 200 ma, using USB may be fine.

A 12V cigar lighter would work a lot better.

SV2RMK likes this.
  7. N9BEE

N9BEE Ham Member QRZ Page

The test should be shown under actual charging load to be valid...not open circuit load...test it like you use it!

SV2RMK likes this.
  8. SV2RMK

That's what I did in the video actually, as I plan to use the cable with a power bank.

9. NQ4T

NQ4T Ham Member QRZ Page

Ok...for starters; I don't know why he's checking the output from the charging cradle. There *is* some circuitry in there; albeit minimum; so that just seems like a pointless test.

I'm guessing they added a basic joule thief/voltage doubler in to the USB cable to boost 5v to about the 10 to 12 the charging cradles will work on. Nothing really new or exciting except it's now in a very small package.

SV2RMK likes this.
  10. SV2RMK

I am checking the output from the cradle, to see if it is the same between the standard charger and the USB cable. With the TYT cradle, it is. With the Baofeng cradle, it is not.

Thanks!