ad: elecraft

New Zealand radio hams request 222-223 MHz

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Jun 23, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. G4TUT/SK2022

G4TUT/SK2022 Ham Member QRZ Page

New Zealand radio hams request 222-223 MHz

In a letter to the Radio Spectrum Management Policy and Planning manager, the New Zealand Association of Radio Transmitters (NZART) request an amateur radio allocation at 222-223 MHz

The letter says:

NZART is always on the lookout for spectrum that has different characteristics from that to which we already have access. The 174 to 230 MHz band clearly fits in this category – having characteristics quite different from the two adjacent (144 MHz and 430 MHz) amateur bands.

We are therefore requesting that a small allocation (222 – 223 MHz) be made to the NZ Amateurs to allow them to further both the self-training and technical investigations purposes of the Service.

In requesting this allocation be made to Amateur Radio, we are not seeking to exclude any other users from the band – in our view (and that of others) there is sufficient spectrum available in the band to satisfy all those seeking an allocation – including setting aside some bandwidth for applications (like the Internet of Things) that are not well defined at present.

NZART http://www.nzart.org.nz/

http://www.southgatearc.org/news/2016/june/new-zealand-radio-hams-request-222-223-mhz.htm

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. W5TXR

W5TXR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I hope that you get the 1.25 meter band. I like it (a lot) I wish more US hams used it. It is unique in that it shares some of the properties of the 2 and 70 cm band.
    The availability of decent equipment is limited, however as more countries adopt this band the big four are more likely to make 222 MHz equipment.
    For all-mode I use the Elecraft XV-222 transverter with my Yeasu FT-897D and FM Jetstream makes a 50 watt transceiver.
    Bridgecom a newcomer has some nice 222 equipment also.
    Good luck!!

W5TXR
    Mark

KF7PCL likes this.
  3. OK2XOC

OK2XOC Ham Member QRZ Page

Meanwhile in the EU, not a chance in hell. :(

4. ZL1NJR

ZL1NJR Ham Member QRZ Page

Has there been any new developments on this?

5. SM0AOM

SM0AOM Ham Member QRZ Page

I would say that the chances are slim.
    In the allocation table in ITU-RR Article 5 this frequency range is allocated in Region 3 for these primary users:

FIXED
    MOBILE
    BROADCASTING

With the following footnotes affixed:

5.235 5.237 5.243 5.233 5.238 5.240 5.245

These footnotes deal with alternative allocations for e.g. radionavigation and scientific purposes.
    A preferred way for the NZ Authorities would to add a foot-note to the frequency table saying that amateur radio is an alternative allocation on a secondary basis.

This can however only be done at a WRC, and the next one will be in 2019.

In theory, a national allocation can also be made using the Non-Interference clause in Article 4.4,

"4.4 Administrations of the Member States shall not assign to a station any frequency
    in derogation of either the Table of Frequency Allocations in this Chapter or the other provisions of
    these Regulations, except on the express condition that such a station, when using such a frequency
    assignment, shall not cause harmful interference to, and shall not claim protection from harmful
    interference caused by, a station operating in accordance with the provisions of the Constitution, the
    Convention and these Regulations"

but this would be contrary to practice, especially if there are other users that may pay for their spectrum.

73/
    Karl-Arne
    SM0AOM

6. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

I really like that band and started on 220 around 1964, long before the UPS fiasco.

There are still some, converted in Canada, 2M Microwave Modules (from the UK) showing up at times; mine has worked fine for over 30 years.

A few companies made the usual 100-120W bricks and the surplus AM-6154 works with almost no changes and about 300-350W of relatively clean SSB and 400W on CW. For homebrew, tubes such as the 3CX800A7 and 8877 work well there along with the getting scarce 8873/8874/8875 family, plus the IMD dirty 4CX250B's.

Im still using old Cushcraft "Boomers" from the 70's and trimmed a bit for 222.

There is less band noise and with an equivalent gain antenna local and tropo coverage is about the same as 2M. Ive worked the East Coast down to Florida with 100W.

Carl