ad: QSLWorks-1

More RF Noise?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA1BR, Sep 21, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. AA1BR

AA1BR Subscriber QRZ Page

KA4RUR likes this.
  2. W4HM

W4HM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

3. NR5O

NR5O Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Explain how millimeter wave (mmWave) signals will cause problems for Amateur Radio.

Just wondering,
    Mike NR5O

AB9LM likes this.
  4. KA4RUR

KA4RUR Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I gave them a call about this when I saw this on the news -- not available in my area -- so back to the BPL (Broadband over Power Lines) controversy again Fred KA4RUR.....

5. KA4RUR

6. K2WH

K2WH Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Yes, they plainly state that there is NO direct connection to the power lines.

Currently, I see this very similar to the cell network type of system and not a threat to our service.

7. KA4RUR

It will cause RFI -- With broadband over power lines, or BPL, you can plug your computer into any electrical outlet in your home and instantly have access to high-speed Internet ... It was a big thing going on some years ago about this technology and what it could do to ham bands .. ka4rur

W4CHE likes this.
  8. NN6EE

NN6EE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

YAH BPL as I recalled got it's start in about 2003 and the very FIRST area to have it was "MANASSAS, VA" so any doubters out here who have Ham-friends THERE can ask them about their experiences!!! I don't really understand WHY they're starting BPL all over again as ALL the various other tries were FINANCIAL FLOPS, as well as catching HELL from the local "Ham communities" where it was initiated, and rightly so!!!

KA4RUR, KD2ANN and KG7VTO like this.
  9. K2JVI

K2JVI Ham Member QRZ Page

While I can understand the concern, obviously the old school BPL was a disaster and a proven RFI source, this technology is quite different.
    Note the term "millimeter waves" frequencies between 30Ghz and 300 GHz-do a little research,try this webpage-http://electronicdesign.com/communications/millimeter-waves-will-expand-wireless-future
    This certainly should not affect HF-the only question may be with amateur allocations in that millimeter wave region. From what I've seen so far it appears the power line is used as a waveguide to some degree. Perhaps Chip W1YW will chime in, his knowledge of such areas is quite respectable.

NR5O likes this.
  10. K2JVI

K2JVI Ham Member QRZ Page

Additionally-it appears that these wavelengths are easily concentrated-IE not likely to spread out too far. Again hopefully more learned folks will chime in. Lets see what happens.

11. N4QMS

N4QMS Ham Member QRZ Page

Not a technically honest presentation. Looks as if they are using the power POLES, but not the lines.

12. AE2F

AE2F Ham Member QRZ Page

Watching their video, it looks like mini cell towers (4G/5G) aka PCS with wireless point-to-point links from power pole to power pole. Their video doesn't even show them connecting to the power lines for power. So basically, they are just using the power lines for the poles (aka masts or towers).

13. AB9LM

AB9LM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

From what I've observed from internal company promotional info, they are relying on skin effect or as stated above, waveguide. My first thought was about the BPL EMI disaster, but they did specifically state mm waves. So... Hopefully this will have no effect on us.

14. G3ZBP

G3ZBP Ham Member QRZ Page

15. W1RFI

W1RFI Ham Member QRZ Page

AA1BR likes this.