ad: QSLWorks-1

Merle Taylor: Maven of Morse Code (VE1VCI)

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W0PV, Jul 23, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

K5SPP, N3HQN, AF7EC and 2 others like this.
  2. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Millennial liberal socialization monitors take note -

She was given an aptitude test, the main requirement being the ability to take Morse Code. “The room was filled with men and smoke,” Merle recalls.

KB0TT and WV9M like this.
  3. WB9MSM

WB9MSM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you for sharing this very interesting article about Merle. I found it to be both inspiring and rewarding as it instills the idea that nothing in life is easy. Determination and hard work certainly are characteristics that will go a long way in forging a persons ability to be successful. Great inspirational reading with a most happy outcome. Best of 73, Denny WB9MSM

4. WA4NJY

WA4NJY Ham Member QRZ Page

John,
    Thanks for sharing the story. There are not many like Merle anymore.

Ed WA4NJY
    Bradenton, Fl

5. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

All the good women were before my time. I told my wife the only way she'd lose me is if I met some lady who knew Morse really well. She said, "The Cat?"

6. G0VEO

G0VEO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for giving me this opportunity to enjoy this marvelous tribute to a grand old lady......a total pleasure to read, a great boost to my faith in human nature!!!!!!!

7. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you so much for sharing this very interesting story of Merle - a true member what Tom Brokaw to aptly calls The Greatest Generation. She is truly an inspiration for all.

73, Jeff WN1MB

8. G0OJG

G0OJG Ham Member QRZ Page

Very interesting story thank you for the post.

73 Joey g0ojg

9. VA1WAB

VA1WAB Ham Member QRZ Page

Gee Lochaber isn't very far from where I live. What a beautiful story, being ex RCAF, I thoroughly enjoyed it. What a great lady.

NU4R likes this.
  10. AB9JS

AB9JS Ham Member QRZ Page

I totally enjoyed this story. What a great and inspiring lady
    John N9JYO 73

11. WB1ARU

WB1ARU Ham Member QRZ Page

This a terrific piece about Merle! I have talked to her on the air several times.
    Anne WB1ARU

12. HUAPTEC

HUAPTEC QRZ Member

Woow Impressive

13. KQ6XA

KQ6XA Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for putting a link to this article on The Zed.

14. NU4R

NU4R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

And yet another story...and evidence...of the greatest generation. In this world today, and in my opinion,and especially the United States, what would happen to people if they had to muster the kind of discipline TODAY that this quickly disappearing greatest generation did in their collective lifetimes. I was raised with discipline and expected to get educated...and get to work...and MOVE OUT. Even so, my life was easy due to the likes of the suffering of my parents, grandparents and great grandparents. (All of whom I knew) But, I'm sure I'm not alone in this world of amateur radio operators who also had the common sense to sit and listen to stories from our elders and life's Elmers, learn and appreciate them and yes, and use these very same stories to grasp the fact that, it ain't cool to be sitting at home, unemployed, at the age of ______ !!!!

(Fill in the blank of ones that you know. I was going to insert 34)

Ain't this 21st century just swell?

Hope to catch you on-the-air Ms. Taylor. But, it's likely we're going to requesting a QRS for I'm only good to about 13 wpm!

15. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

More about Merle, pictured with her five sons here,

http://www.clarayl.ca/index.php/caring-canadian-award

The story of Merle is particularly touching for me because it parallels that of my own mother Jean, who at a similar age dared to become a US Marine. She worked at the Pentagon where she met dad. She is now at peace, interred in Arlington Nat'l Cemetery in DC with honors, and is mentioned at the WIMSA Memorial as well.

https://www.wwiimemorial.com/Registry/plaque.aspx?honoreeID=1605014

Her accomplishments, as a young widow, included the added sacrifices needed to finish raising three children, and in particular noticing her youngest's (me) interests in ham radio (at age 11), finding him an Elmer (Russ Hughes WØIFS (SK)), and then being extraordinarily supportive and generous when it came to funding materials, equipment, and education. She was a fun loving positive spirit and inspirational into her 80's.

I'm glad to not be the only ham grateful for such good parenting.

73, John WØPV