ad: Halibut-1

K6UDA Radio- So who wins the Headset Shootout?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K6UDA, May 20, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. K6UDA

K6UDA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Just in time for everyone in Dayton to pry open their wallets and pick the best new headset for you. This week, My beautiful Spokesmodel Danielle is hosting the show. I'm busy being the master disaster herding cats (er hams). This is the most scientific (non science) head to head shootout between the Heil Pro7 and RadioSport RS60CF. Who wins?

K8RTR and K4WNZ like this.
  2. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

Good video, the girl was over the top you male chauvinist sexist pig dawg! ROFLMAO!

Next time, don't identify the audio sources. Just Brand B and Brand C (no brand A). Cover the names on the headsets if you can and do the same but switch the brand names. It removes all brand loyalty. Great info in the video and thanks to all the guys for the effort. The headsets are expensive, nut how much for the out-takes of the lovely lady?

KZ3J likes this.
  3. 2E0RLR

2E0RLR QRZ Lifetime Member #563 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Damn get Danielle a licence now!!

KF4ZKU likes this.
  4. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Ham Member QRZ Page

Enjoyed the headphone shootout. I never used them in my HAM experience but I've been very picky about the speakers I use....however the only headphones I ever owned were designed for listening to music in stereo. I'll have to look into a pair of radio specific headphones. Maybe your spokesmodel deserves the credit!

5. K6UDA

She's made a commitment.. at 10,000 subscribers. only you guys can make it happen.

6. K6UDA

I'll let her know.

7. K2ACP

K2ACP Ham Member QRZ Page

I see that most all the judges picked the winner on the basis of cost. I have always went with the concept that you only have to buy a quality tool once, even if that tool is more expensive. Then there is the eham reviews, the radio sport is 5 for 5 with, the last time I looked, 111 reviews. Sorry guys, my money will go for the radio sport

VA3MLV and KM9R like this.
  8. KM9R

KM9R Ham Member QRZ Page

I too am a firm believer in quality over quantity.

VA3MLV likes this.
  9. KM9R

KM9R Ham Member QRZ Page

After the eye candy disappears, we have k6uda (?) profess his honest and fair shootout with a heil pro7 hanging in his shack just to the left of his head . I am ok with him owning a heil pro7 but from the get go it leads to the impression where this video is going w/o seeing the rest. Both seem to be a very uncomfortable headset to wear compared to the bose qc noise canceling headset.

Last edited: May 21, 2016
  10. KB0TT

KB0TT Ham Member QRZ Page

I think it was a quasi-fair comparison ( my opinion ) ....

Now , Danielle looks VERY much like my FIRST wife ( Barbara - WB0TSK / N0AIW ) ....
    circa : 1973

TNX for the shootout ...

JB

PS - I still like the two stage foot switch ..

11. WB8VLC

WB8VLC Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice video, but I'll admit I think I may have serious BMADD, or Beautiful Mommy Attention Deficit Disorder, because I never saw any headsets in the video and I watched it over and over and over....

Ok I'll admit I only watched the first and last couple of minutes.

But after watching a useless Dayton hamvention video and groups of aging ham selfies I really enjoyed your video and I promise after I settle down I'll watch the actual headset portions between the beginning and the end.

And you are the luckiest man alive in ham radio videos.

12. N5NUK

N5NUK Ham Member QRZ Page

I left a comment and a couple of questions on the youtube page.

73 de N5NUK

13. K6UDA

Those were the demo loaners. I swapped back & forth between RadioSport & Pro 7 for three weeks. Going in, I was really in love with the R/S but just a touch better audio quality & big price difference won me over. Look back to my first shootout. I really had no dog in this fight.

14. K6UDA

I never said the Radiosports were bad in any way. Three out of four picked the Pro 7 for CW quality, all five judges (including the RadioSport Owner) picked the Pro 7 for TX audio quality. Did price have something to do with it? Not in that category but it has to when you compare value. Would I own a set of Radiosports? Absolutely. I just can't afford both.

15. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Ham Member QRZ Page

I think that CW vs voice audio quality are really two very different animals to optimize. It's understandable to me that judges split between the two contenders along CW vs voice quality.

K6UDA likes this.