ad: Flexradio-1

K6UDA Radio - Undercover look at the Ham Radio Test, KX3 Roofing Filter Install

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K6UDA, May 28, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. K6UDA

K6UDA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Schools in - All you wannabes, pay attention. I'm going to teach you how to pass the Ham Radio test. I went under cover at a VE testing session for an inside look at what happens. I'm installing the KXFL3 Roofing filter kit on my Elecraft KX3. You wont believe the procedure to recalibrate your radio. I'm self spotting again & this time it's for Field Day. Stay for the end, there's a look at my hex beam from a DJI Drone.

Bob - K6UDA

KH6JIM, N0GB, K4YND and 1 other person like this.
  2. KK6FU

KK6FU Ham Member QRZ Page

He is right if want to pass the test then just memorize the answers. Or you can do it the right way by read and learn the stuff. It is embarrassing when you are a General class ham but don't know where the red and black wires go?

3. AD5TD

AD5TD Ham Member QRZ Page

I was much relieved when I figured out that I could miss ALL the math questions on the test and still pass.

K6UDA likes this.
  4. NA3P

NA3P XML Subscriber QRZ Page

OK, I too memorized the questions and answers when I took the Extra for the second time back in 1985. I passed the 20 WPM test no problem. It was required back then. The first time I took the Extra in the FCC office in Baltimore, MD in 1980, I was about ready to ship out to West Germany for a military tour over there. I missed the written by only 3 questions. They did not publish the questions and answers back then to my knowledge. I did all the questions the hard way, using my knowledge of ham radio and radio theory. I was not going to fail again in 1985 because I finally came back to the US from overseas after 5 years and could have been shipped out overseas again with no chance of taking a ham test in a foreign country. I was glad they published the questions and answers. I felt that I had earned the Extra class by the second time I took the test, even if they had published questions and answers. With the no code licenses of today, I can't say the new Extras really earned the license by memorizing the questions and answers but when you play a game you use all the rules to your advantage...so go ahead and memorize the questions and answers. Guarantee you will pass.

N0IRS likes this.
  5. K6UDA

K6UDA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I learned as I grew as a ham. That way I was invested in the learning aspect. Once you have the ticket and you can use it with the equipment you own and can inspire new ham to start building and learning.

K3DGR likes this.
  6. WB9AZA

WB9AZA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

KK6FU, you are absolutely correct. unfortunately here in the my area most (not all) new Technician class ops buy a cheap handi-talkie and learn little. The local ham clubs are more interested in quantity not quality
    They truly become "Handi-Talkie Hams" forever.

7. WU2F

WU2F Ham Member QRZ Page

The ones I know, including myself for years, buy them because that's all they can afford.
    I earned my /AE before i bought my first HF rig, but you know, I was a master of VHF+, digital ops, and proficient with HF operation all before I bought my first 'real' rig.

HT's are a great starting point, and don't make someone 'less' of a ham.
    It's this kind of elitist thinking that ruins ham radio's reputation to newbies, in my opinion.

KG5LAE and N0GB like this.
  8. N0GB

N0GB Ham Member QRZ Page

Some of the comments on here are the usual elitist BS I hear anytime two hams get together. No code this, no code that. HT hams, etc. What people tend to forget is this is a hobby and there is a place for everyone according to their interest and ability. As for the elitist attitude, I laugh at you as I test new hams for their tickets. There are and always have been no code hams. Sorry, deal with it. Not everyone can afford the time or investment in HF. I'm just lucky that I have a supportive YL (KEØJGT) yes a no code ham, and the money to be able to have a modest ham shack. A ham radio license is and always will be a license to learn, just that, and nothing more. So stop with the "why when I was first licensed...", no one but yourself cares about it.

KG5JBY, KD4VJP, WZ4K and 7 others like this.
  9. K7FD

K7FD Subscriber QRZ Page

Yawn...

10. WB8VLC

WB8VLC Ham Member QRZ Page

Guys It's Sunday, lighten up have a bottle of Guinness with vanilla ice cream and watch k6uda's prior headset segment, enjoy the Lovely YL

If you are still arguing about cheap 30 BUCK HT'S and the code no code crap after watching the headset video then there's no hope for you.

K6UDA, WU2F and N0GB like this.
  11. W3UC

W3UC Ham Member QRZ Page

Laurel testing still free !

12. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

N0G(oat)B

faint2.jpg

N0GB likes this.
  13. N0GB

N0GB Ham Member QRZ Page

Ha! Good! Lol.

14. N0GB

N0GB Ham Member QRZ Page

Not arguing. It's all good. 73 everyone!

15. WU2F

WU2F Ham Member QRZ Page

Mmm... Guiness.... :)
    One more year and I can. ...legally. :D

N0GB likes this.