ad: Retevis-1

Hara Arena News

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WA8FOZ, Apr 28, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WA8FOZ

WA8FOZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I placed a longer version of this post in Discussions, so forgive me if I have committed a 'Zed sin. I thought it might be of interest as News, too.

An article in today's Dayton Daily News presents the possibility that the HARA complex could be purchased by the Montgomery County Agricultural Society for the site of a new county fairgrounds. The present fairgrounds is a smallish plot in downtown Dayton that has attracted the interest of developers.

The article is speculative, but suggests that either HARA itself or adjacent land could be under consideration for purchase. As I read this (and this is only my opinion), the Fair would like more room and some money, the present fairgrounds is more valuable to developers than to the Agricultural Society, and land in Trotwood is relatively cheap.

The response of Karen Wampler, the HARA marketing manager, is interesting . She protests the mention of a sale or closing as being bad for business, but also mentions the possibility of a closing. And no mention of any events at HARA after September is made. The tax situation of the Wamplers with respect to HARA is especially interesting, in that they are in considerable arrears; and suggests, unsurprisingly to me, that cash flow is a challenge.

What effect any of this might have on Hamvention is also speculative but interesting.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/news/hara-arena-among-sites-considered-for-fairgrounds/nrCxt/

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2016
    WB9VPG likes this.
  2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Given the night soil volcano a few years back, the grounds should be considered well fertilized, perhaps a big plus for consideration of purchase by the Ag society...

Seriously...lets hope for hsmvention to be unaffected in three weeks.

WB9VPG likes this.
  3. KC8YXA

KC8YXA Ham Member QRZ Page

Looks like it is about time to move to Columbus....

4. WA8FOZ

WA8FOZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The state fairgrounds in Columbus might be a plausible venue. The problem is, Hamvention is run by DARA, hundreds of volunteers in Dayton. Seventy miles away. I can't imagine a similar operation coming up all at once in another city. Perhaps over a long time.

If Hara were to close, Hamvention would be very different and much smaller. I like Hamvention very much and I hope things work out.

5. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

DARA --IS-- Hamvention.

But HARA 's days are numbered... I suspect this is the last one at that location.
    Hopefully it wont be taken by the county for taxes before the end of May.

The flea, arena, and exhibit halls are funky but charming in their own way. The forum rooms and 'facilities' are bordering third world.

The articles says Hara is roughly 5 years back taxes owed to county...

6. N5GAR

N5GAR Ham Member QRZ Page

The Hamvention needs a location with an adjacent 'headquarters hotel'

7. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

if you think the Marriott at VISALIA get sold out fast, imagine a hotel at the Hamvention!!! The phone pileup would shut down MA BELL and the Internet would be MAXED out entirely!!! They would need a WHOLE FLEET of Hotels to cover the 30K attendees!!

8. N2SR

N2SR Ham Member QRZ Page

Are you planning to build one?

9. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I know its days are numbered, so head to Dayton like it is the last year. I am taking my 12 year old grandson KE0DAL. There is no event like Dayton.

10. K8ERV

K8ERV QRZ Member QRZ Page

I have 1.5 acres available in Montrose,

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

11. KB0TT

KB0TT Ham Member QRZ Page

I have been hitting ' Dayton ' since the late ' 60's ' ....

To keep in ' tune ' with the new radio ways , it is time to
    put the proverbial ' stake ' into the old girl ....

Truly too bad ....

JB

12. W8AAZ

W8AAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

OK, well then they will tear down HARA and install Ag barns and stuff for the fairgrounds. Then we can have the flea market in a muddy field and install a vendor display in each stall in the barns. What could be better? Well they could install fly strips in each stall to keep those down and could truck in smelly portajohns like they have now. The mud would be beneficial as it would slow down foot traffic and induce more lingering at flea market tables, a boon to sellers. The DARA emergency comm bus would have to be converted to all terrain, probably a benefit too. The annoying golf carts would become a thing of the past, unless they buy a fleet of ATVs to replace them. Dropped tubes would no longer shatter, with the soft mud, a plus. Plus the horrible conditions would keep away the riff-raff and undedicated non-serious amateurs, leaving the venue open to the real hams, what a great bonus. No, I think we can work this thing out. Your dumb "I survived Dayton Hamvention" tee shirts would finally mean something.

13. KB0TT

KB0TT Ham Member QRZ Page

You should have been around when we DID park in fields with mud ....

Before the FARM turned into a golf course , it WAS a MESS !!!!!!

WOW !!!!! NEWBIES !!!!! SHEEESH !!!!!

You do not remember those times ... Thus ... NEWBIE ....

JB

Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
  14. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

My opinion---

Are there NEW repairs done this year that make Hara different from the past?

DARA does a FANTASTIC job, and if Hara was maintained to a minimum practical standard no one would be having this discussion. Hara is NOT within control of DARA. Those guys would have NEVER put Hara into the crapper. It is a RENTED VENUE, privately held by others.

There is no tooth fairy for Hara; the cost to re-build OR repair would be astronomical--witness the ABSENCE of any long-term fixes( see above): plumbing; leaks (roof); poor heating/ cooling; periodic sanitation disasters ( the 2011 nightsoil volcano is etched in everyone nose and memories); cracks (needs replacement) dominating parking lot; this is one step away from health or building department closing it down, IMO. It looks like that abandoned town outside of Chernobyl in many ways, IMO.

It was a SHOCK to see that the owners ARE 5 YEARS(worth) IN ARREARS of taxes! Hara , IMO, appears to not be a 'going concern'. That is one step away from seizing the property; putting a band aide on about a payment plan is hiding the reality that the property WILL be seized unless payment is made. Its a matter of when, apparently. This is what is DRIVING the SALE issue, IMO.

I enjoy Hamvention immensely, and am grateful to DARA to make that all possible. I actually love Hara for the parts that work.But the Hara arena/complex situation doesn't seem to have any silver lining, nor a champion to solve its problems--and thus creates a problem for future venues of Hamvention and whether it can ever be what it is now--ever again.

I am going to Hamvention in three weeks and going to have a great time. DARA is making that possible. Hara , unfortunately, is not a problem DARA can solve.

If someone can come up with a tangible way to help, I would happy to make a modest but optimistic contribution to make that happen.

Chip W1YW

Last edited: May 1, 2016
  15. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

For those wondering what is bringing done Hara-- its rock and roll.

Music biz rock shows were a big factor in Hara's revenue apparently, and those are almost gone(just about everywhere); they have not been replaced by 'country' acts, to any great extent, let alone 'hip hop'.

Traveling sporting events --think wrestling -- are also down, most everywhere.

These problems are not unique to Hara.

Hamvention is a big , big deal to Hara, but the other shows were the bread and butter.

WA8FOZ likes this.