ad: CQMM-1

Ham Radio 360: Workbench #9 Building an Idiot Switch

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K4CDN, Oct 25, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. K4CDN

K4CDN Ham Member QRZ Page

A lesson in design thinking, collaboration, and learning to admit when you are wrong…

This week on the Workbench, George KJ6VU and Jeremy KF7IJZ are joined by Beric Dunn K6BEZ and Nick Garner N3WG to design an “idiot switch” – a micro controller device that can remove power from a soldering iron in case when the user leaves it turned on too long (Like Jeremy himself did with a Hakko FX-888).

Join the gang in this episode to hear different approaches for solution design, implementation approach, and the ultimate consensus at the end.

Listen Link Here

[​IMG]
    Show Page found Here

Thank you, again, for Listening!
    K4CDN

2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

50 years a ham....idio[​IMG]t switch a new one on me.

We used to use timers that went into the wall socket. Knives were our idiot switch. Melted crayons on 60 watt lightbulbs were our idiot paint.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
    K4CDN likes this.
  3. WA7WJR

WA7WJR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

When I was 6 years old, I used one of my mom's bobbie pins as a 120v circuit tester. I've since learned a few things...like a VOM is more accurate.

K4CDN likes this.
  4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Fireworks:)!

5. WS4E

WS4E Ham Member QRZ Page

You could build this in 10mins using a very common room occupancy light switch/timer.

6. KA8SPW

KA8SPW Ham Member QRZ Page

I NEVER leave the shack without turning off my iron AND unplugging it! Here is why....

Over 25 years ago, I came home from Dayton, went to my shack to hide my bounty.
    Before I turned on the lights I could see a red glow from the work bench.
    I turned on the light to see it was coming from my soldering station!

My power to the room must be turned on with a key. There is also a big red kill button to turn it off.
    I had turned it off when I left for Dayton.

Seems while I was in Dayton, my wife allowed the neighbor to use my compressor to fill his air tank.
    He had turned on my power and left it on. The soldering station was on for three days!

Lucky it didn't set something on FIRE!

I also hide the key when I leave now!

I even do this if I just go upstairs to get a fresh cup of coffee. You know how you get sidetracked.....

A timer would be a nice addition just to make sure! Good Luck on the project. I would use a Solid State Relay with Zero Crossing, with a count down timer.

73, Shanon KA8SPW

7. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I like the soldering station I have here at the Radio Hospital. Weller WSL. It goes to sleep and shuts off the pencil heat after inactivity of maybe 10 minutes.